Valued Contributor

Re: Dental Crowns and Cleaning Question

I had a very, very old root canal/crown that I had pulled in May to start the implant process.  I get the screw put in in two weeks.  I’m so super excited about the whole process, I could just vomit.  And, I took loads of antibiotics before and after the tooth pulling process as there was a ton of infection.  Oh, happy day.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

I've had many, many dental procedures and was never told to take an antibiotic before a routine cleaning until I had a knee replacement.  A couple of years later there were newspaper articles saying this wasn't necessary.  I discussed it with my dentist and he said he was making it optional.  I opted to quit taking them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I used to work for the company that produces Arestin. It is a treatment for periodontal disease. That is the only thing I wonder that can cause your pain. I do not have periodontal disease. So I am talking about what I have heard.

Do you have gum pockets? Could your gum pocket be exposing the nerve of your tooth to hot/cold? 

I do not understand how having two non cavity teeth ruined by putting crowns put on them will be in your best interest. I would be thrilled to have two pristine molars. 

@drizzelllaNo gum pockets.  All he said was I have plaque.  I agree that I don't want to file down my teelth and have crowns put on (now that I know this is what is done).  Before this thread I had no idea how it was done! Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@drizzelllaforgot to say that during this whole time I was not sensitive to hot or cold. Weird I know.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Typically a crown is put on because you have a cracked tooth.

I just cracked a tooth a few weeks ago, just before my regular cleaning.  I knew I felt something happen when I bit down on a nut but I didn't think much of it after about 5 minutes.  So I wasn't surprised when my hygienist said she saw a crack in my tooth.

What annoyed me was the dentist doing my exam said it could wait until it starts to hurt.  HUH????

I also had to have an old mercury filling replaced, so while I was there with my regular dentist, I asked him about the cracked tooth and he said I shouldn't wait too long.  I said "November?" and he sort of hesitated, so I am scheduled for October 12 to have the crown done.

I had no intention of waiting until it hurt, but I thought I had a little more time ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

As to antibiotics:  I have a joint replacement so I take them prior to any dental work.  My dentist requests it, and reminds me.

Twice a year, one capsule.  I don't consider that a risk, but I do consider the possibility of an infected joint, a risk.

If I felt that strongly about not taking the antibiotic, I could always tell them I had even if I hadn't.  Or simply, adamantly, say, "no I will not", in which case the responsibility (consequences) would fall on me.

However, I trust my dentist's guidance, as to that and the issue of crowns.  I have many, and have had some replaced.  And yes, bacteria can get under a crown and cause infection.

My orthopedic surgeon recommends the antibiotic protocol, also.  I have not taken lots of them in my lifetime, either.  Good luck.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Puttypiesmom

How bad in the pain? Does it come and go? Or is it constant.

I would not let this Dentist do any major work on my teeth until he could give me a good explanation about what could be causing the pain.

I think a second opinion would be helpful. Your first Dentist hasn't seemed to address your concerns. It bothers me that he wants to alter two healthy molars.

Occasional Contributor

Since having knee replacement surgery, I have to take antiobiotics before any dental procedure.

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@drizzelllaalso want to say....those molars are hard to reach to floss and because they are so close together so frustrating.  I do my best but I think I should get a waterpik.  So...all this is why I don't want to get the crowns yet there is the possibity he knows what he's talking about.  

@puttypiesmom  Ahh . . . that post gave me another clue! Perhaps you have signs of peridontal issues or gingivitis or other gum issues. That would also explain the need for the medication. More things to ask when you have your teeth cleaned. These issues would be caused due to having once-a-year cleanings by your former DDS. Have a feeling this DDS will provide you with a completely new regime of dental health and you will be grateful in the long run. Make another appt. for cleaning in six months!

Sounds like perhaps your former DDS was unable to perform the necessary procedures required and let them deteriorate. If so, I'm so sorry. May be a blessing he finally retired and you have a younger, more knowledgeable and up-to-date DDS. Wishing you the best later this month.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

So what did you do?