Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Crowns and Cleaning Question

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Yes, I have found and also been told that crowns last about 10 - 15 years. Are you getting a root canal before the crowns? If not expect to need a root canal in about 10 - 15 years, maybe sooner.

Yes, many of my crowns were removed.

After the root canal and crown fail. I had to get implants.

Before the implants I took antibiotics. They are drilling into the jaw and want to make sure there are no germ problems.

My Dentist insists that my husband take antibiotics before each visit. My husband said his Pediatric Doctor thought he had a heart murmur (60 years ago). And the Dentist insists that he take the antibiotic for each visit.

My dentist has not mentioned a root canal.  Thank you for all your information.  I think I will dump this dentist and find a new one.  I don't want crowns for one thing,  My teeth are not loose but was feeling some pain in front of one closest to the front gum line and xrays were taken,  There were no cavitites according to my dentist.   @drizzellla

Hold your horses! What does the Dentist think is causing your pain? If not a cavity, what is the problem?

I am not a dentist but I don't see how giving you two crowns on teeth with no cavities is right. Are the teeth cracked? Impaired in any way? Is it your gums? 

I got crowns on my teeth because the tooth was filled so often that there wasn't much tooth left.They had to create a fake tooth. My teeth were not teeth with no cavities.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Yes, I have found and also been told that crowns last about 10 - 15 years. Are you getting a root canal before the crowns? If not expect to need a root canal in about 10 - 15 years, maybe sooner.

Yes, many of my crowns were removed.

After the root canal and crown fail. I had to get implants.

Before the implants I took antibiotics. They are drilling into the jaw and want to make sure there are no germ problems.

My Dentist insists that my husband take antibiotics before each visit. My husband said his Pediatric Doctor thought he had a heart murmur (60 years ago). And the Dentist insists that he take the antibiotic for each visit.

My dentist has not mentioned a root canal.  Thank you for all your information.  I think I will dump this dentist and find a new one.  I don't want crowns for one thing,  My teeth are not loose but was feeling some pain in front of one closest to the front gum line and xrays were taken,  There were no cavitites according to my dentist.   @drizzellla

Hold your horses! What does the Dentist think is causing your pain? If not a cavity, what is the problem?

I am not a dentist but I don't see how giving you two crowns on teeth with no cavities is right. Are the teeth cracked? Impaired in any way? Is it your gums? 

I got crowns on my teeth because the tooth was filled so often that there wasn't much tooth left.They had to create a fake tooth. My teeth were not teeth with no cavities.

@drizzellla  that is the million dollar question and I assume he will find out after doing the deep cleaning if I go to him or someone else.  But, yes you hit the nail on the head.Also, I have no fillings in either of those molars.  The pain has subsided...I've been using the Orajal mouth rinse before going to bed and I think it has helped.  But, yes what is causing that pain to begin with???  

Honored Contributor

My friend had two knee replacements and had to take antibiotics before all dental work.

Another former co-worker had one knee replacement and had to do the same thing.

I don’t remember why.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzelllaalso want to say....those molars are hard to reach to floss and because they are so close together so frustrating.  I do my best but I think I should get a waterpik.  So...all this is why I don't want to get the crowns yet there is the possibity he knows what he's talking about.  

Honored Contributor

Why didn't he take xrays?  They can usually tell the issue with an xray. 

I don't get what a deep cleaning is going to tell him.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I've had so much dental work done.....it's crazy and very, very expensive.

I don't know a lot about what you're asking but I'll tell you about what happened to me.

I adore my dentist and you'd never know my mouth is full of crowns and implants, it all looks normal...

Anyway, I had a wisdom tooth that was totally turned the wrong way.  

My dentist sent me to a dental surgeon and I had it pulled.  Then my dentist put a cadaver bone in there hole.  It healed and he was going to put in an implant there.  

He talked to his partner and so far THEY decided it wouldn't be sturdy enough (since it is the last tooth in the bottom) to support everything we do with those back teeth.

I'm due to go back very soon.  He's going to see what he and his partner can do and if something else is there that will make it sturdy enough.

When you mentioned 'bridge' that's what made me think of it because he'd talked about putting a kind of 'bridge' on the other teeth to reinforce it.  I think he/they ruled that out.

I've spent so much money on my teeth it's crazy but I love the way you can't even tell.  He (my dentist) specializes in cosmetic dentistry.

I never had any trouble with my teeth until 6 or so years ago.  I've had some very serious blood issues and I had to have my thyroid removed.

My Drs and the dentist has told me that was probably the cause of my dentist problems.

I do have to take antibiotics before I have any kind of dental surgery or anything where they're doing something other than filling a tooth.  It's just preventive.

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Why didn't he take xrays?  They can usually tell the issue with an xray. 

I don't get what a deep cleaning is going to tell him.

@VaBelle35he did and there were no cavities.  I know....but I think it was stephanie who said he will see more after doing the deep cleaning....I'll have to go back and reread.  

Honored Contributor

So you have no cavities?  I wonder why he wants to put a crown on your teeth?  Didn't he explain why?

Next time you see him let him know that you're feeling apprehensive when he asks how you're doing. Let him know why.  Tell him that you have a lot of questions!

I just had some oral surgery myself and this is exactly what I told the surgeon. The procedure that I had two weeks ago was called an apicoectomy.  He cut into the gum sideways to get to a root canal that had gone bad.  This was done to see if the tooth could be saved rather than having it pulled and getting an implant...so far so good!

However I was so nervous!  He gave me nitrous oxide gas to help alleviate the apprehension.  It helped a lot!

Ask questions!  Don't be afraid to do so!  They expect it.

Honored Contributor

I used to work for the company that produces Arestin. It is a treatment for periodontal disease. That is the only thing I wonder that can cause your pain. I do not have periodontal disease. So I am talking about what I have heard.

Do you have gum pockets? Could your gum pocket be exposing the nerve of your tooth to hot/cold? 

I do not understand how having two non cavity teeth ruined by putting crowns put on them will be in your best interest. I would be thrilled to have two pristine molars. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was under the understanding that those with a heart condition, like mitral valve prolapse or something else should always take an antibiotic before a dental procedure, but not if you are otherwise healthy with no heart condition.

And yes I have had the tooth under the crown get infected. I lost the tooth. I'm not sure why that happens. I guess that is a good question to ask, like what are the possibilities of that. Maybe it depends on the skill of the dentist? 

And yes, I think considering all you are having done, it would be worth it to get a second opinion. Listen to what the 2nd one says without telling him/her what was already suggested. I think dentists have many varied opinions.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"