Trusted Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn  I 've always read about your low ferritin.  I suffer from that too.  My hematologist can't figure it out as can any other doctor. I'm always hanging around 18 if I'm lucky.

I've discussed it with them and the cause for me could be taking so many proton pump inhibitor's it could cause malapsorbtion in the stomach and so I just don't absorb nutrients.  

It's a mystery I tell you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy

[ Edited ]

@Pink123 

@Pink123 wrote:

@qvcaddition  I wish you well for your colonoscopy.  I just had one

less than 2 weeks ago along with endoscopy.

I have GERD and Barrett's and so have a hard time with the prep in keeping it down.

I would like to offer you a suggestion to make it easy.  I hardly eat 3 days before.  The little I do eat is "no fiber".  That is white bread with some butter once a day.

When prep days comes it's a breeze.  I only can tolerate half a gallon of the prep at most and I always come out clean and fine.

There is very little left in my system doing it this way.  

God bless, this too shall pass.... Smiley Happy

Thank you.  I just went into Kaiser and ordered my prep and going back in an hour to pick it up.

I had the same two procedures you had last time.

I agree with you, not much I have in house to eat.  Just got some jello and soda crackers.  I checked the fiber and ingred.

I am going to put that lemon aide someone suggested on here and I still have some.  I remember it helped get the liq. stuff down.

God Bless you also and thanks for the encouragement.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Pink123 

@Pink123 wrote:

@qvcaddition  I wish you well for your colonoscopy.  I just had one

less than 2 weeks ago along with endoscopy.

I have GERD and Barrett's and so have a hard time with the prep in keeping it down.

I would like to offer you a suggestion to make it easy.  I hardly eat 3 days before.  The little I do eat is "no fiber".  That is white bread with some butter once a day.

When prep days comes it's a breeze.  I only can tolerate half a gallon of the prep at most and I always come out clean and fine.

There is very little left in my system doing it this way.  

God bless, this too shall pass.... Smiley Happy

Thank you.  I just went into Kaiser and ordered my prep and going back in an hour to pick it up.

I had the same two procedures you had last time.

I agree with you, not much I have in house to eat.  Just got some jello and soda crackers.  I checked the fiber and ingred.

I am going to put that lemon aide someone suggested on here and I still have some.  I remember it helped get the liq. stuff down.

God Bless you also and thanks for the encouragement.

@qvcaddition  so you are set, that's great. I can't wait to hear what happens on Friday. Nothing but good news.

It's just so weird. The one time they decided no more colonoscopy and this happens. They might as well have given it to you.

Your sons came through for you. You get to see  both of them the same day. 

By Saturday you will be walking and doing all the exercises that you are accustomed to doing.

Yesterday my caller ID showed a call coming through from my gastro Doctor and I panicked and wondered why because I have at least another 2 years to go.

Anyway, it was someone calling to ask if it's ok to change another appointment to a few days later.

I'm also with Kaiser and forgot that a Nurse had told me that they use the same phones to call Patients.

Don't know if I was the one you refered to about the lemonade. That's my favorite. I use Crystal lite lemonade. The Pharmacist told me to use as many packs as needed.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Sage04 

From all the studies I have seen, and speaking with my Gastro doctors. It is pretty much agreed that for polyps in the Colon to become cancerous, is about 10 years. 

They say it's not unusual to find polyps sooner, but any time a Colonoscopy is done, the polyps are removed and biopsied. Of those they say it is very, very rare to find them to be malignant.

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn  that's what I've heard also. The first time there were polyps and the second and third, nothing but I still have to have it done every five years, which I don't mind. Two more years to go and I know there won't be anything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 

@Pink123 

Yes Crystal lite.pak left, but will buy more tomorrow.  It also came with a pack of lemon pwd.

Well, it is always a scare when you get a Kaiser email or call.

Pharmacy was packed today. 

My Melanie has a Kaiser badge just like we do because she was a Therapy dog, lots of training went into it, so she came with me after her walk.

Going to rest for the next few days and then have a good meal  Friday and back to my exercise Sat. and Sun to make up for the last few days.

Thank you all again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

@hckynutjohn  I 've always read about your low ferritin.  I suffer from that too.  My hematologist can't figure it out as can any other doctor. I'm always hanging around 18 if I'm lucky.

I've discussed it with them and the cause for me could be taking so many proton pump inhibitor's it could cause malapsorbtion in the stomach and so I just don't absorb nutrients.  

It's a mystery I tell you!

@Pink123 

Was just at my Hematologist yesterday for a full blood draw. They have to send it out to get the Ferritin reading. Will check with them tomorrow and see what my numbers are this time.

As far as Proton Pump Inhibitors, I have been taking Nexium(Esomeprazole) since my 1st Endoscopy around 2001. I take a 40mg capsule twice every day for my Barrett's Esophagus. Has nothing to do with my bleeding or low Ferritin numbers.

My Hemoglobin was 15.1, but those numbers have never had any correlation with my Ferritin reading numbers. 

Do you get Iron Infusions to raise your Ferritin level? I have had about 30 of them or so since 2008. Been a couple years since I have needed one however.

If my number dropped below 30, I would get an Iron Infusion. Ended up with Anaphylactic Shock after one of them a few years ago. Fortunately I was still at the hospital when it happened. Spent 2 days in the hospital after that near tragic event.

After that my Hematologist changed the Type of Iron used, and also cut the amount Infused by 50%. I had to go twice instead of 1 visit after that. Half on 1 Monday, the other Half a week later.

All my Iron problems started from my bleeding Colon and 130+ blood transfusions. Was Anemic for the the best part of 7-8 years. Once they finally found where my Colon was bleeding, it helped.

Still had bleeds till they figured out the best way to fix it. They tried staples/Laser, and finally some type of Titanium combination that is still holding.

Mine really isn't a mystery to me. Too many blood transfusions primarily caused by the Coumadin/Warfarin I was taking for about 8 years. This was because of managing to live through 2 episodes of Pulmonary Embolism(PE blood clots in the lungs).

Best to you,

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I had one done in November and had 4 polyps removed and have to go back for anothe in 3 years.   The prep is horrible as is the not eating for a day.  Also getting someone to drive you there and pick you up for these procedures is also hard.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I had one done in November and had 4 polyps removed and have to go back for anothe in 3 years.   The prep is horrible as is the not eating for a day.  Also getting someone to drive you there and pick you up for these procedures is also hard.

@chiclet  I don't know why I always think that someone would be there. So far I am lucky. We have a family Whattsapp Chat and that's where we will Post any appointments  and someone or two will volunteer.

I know someone who took lyft along with a friend who stayed with her. When I found out I went and picked them up and took them home.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn  I too have normal hemogolobin numbers.  Around 13 to 14.  But the ferritin stays 15-18 or sometimes 20.  I always thought I had a leak somewhere too.  I've had all sorts of tests, yearly colonoscopies, endoscopies, ct scans and they find nothing.

I also have been taking the 40 mg. of Priosec since 1994.  I gave up on figuring it out.  I feel ok other than being a bit more tired than others. They did mention the iron infusions and was offered but because of the side effects I refused it.

I moved a year ago and so have to find a new hematologist.  I'll see my primary even though he is now a 2 hours drive (well worth it) and have him check my ferritin numbers in March.  I will also find a new hematologist here where I live now.  

I'm happy you found out the reason.  I've been wondering for  9 years.  I am a polyp maker (some people are and some people aren't) and so that's why I get annual checks for 9 years now.  This year I had none which I was thrilled about and so he's giving me a break.  I see him in 2 years.  My esophogaus looks real good too which I am happy about.

He did find a big irritation in my stomach which looked like a polyp to me and it scared me to death waiting for results. He biopsied all around and thank goodness it's nothing.  It's a big irritation in my stomach lining, ulcer like I guess  so that's why I'm upping my prilosec.  That's why I asked you how much you take.  I now take 40mg Prilosec at night.  I feel much better and think I should keep it up.  Stomach problems run in my family, ugh.

Good luck all!

Respected Contributor

DH is trying to schedule a colonoscopy after three years when they found 3 benign polyps. He got a letter last week saying it was time to do  "repeat". Finally reached the dr and they said they only do them on people under age 80. He is 75, so good thing he is getting it done now. I hate when insurance companies decide when you may have lived long enough.