Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I got on the Colonoscopy Soap Box here when I joined over 2 decades ago. Have done the same with those in My Adult Hockey League, when they became "of age". Anyone I met that mentioned the word Colonoscopy, I did the same.

As mentioned here before. Right now one of my very good friends from my Auto Racing days, is in Hospice with Stage 4 Colorectal Cancer. He got my same speech many times over, but chose to not follow through.

With all the names you cited here, I would think many of their lives would have been different, had they taken advantage of whatever was the latest technology available during those times.

I had my Endoscopy and Colonoscooy combined around September, and both came back clear. My colon is no longer bleeding, and my Barrett's Esophagus, is still being controlled by my Nexium. 

No need for me to say anymore, except. A BIG Thank You for all the info you put up in your tread. ❤

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I had a friend who died at 50 with Colon Cancer. She was diagnosed with stage 4 at age 49. She lived 9 months after diagnosis. She was so sick, chemo made her sick. She wanted to live so bad, she tried everything. 

She was a sales person and used her last months to convince others to go for a colonoscopy. I had my first colonoscopy when I was 43 because they suspected that I had a mass. I did not, I had another at 50, another at 60 where they found 3 polyps, I will have my next 1 next year when I am 65. 

When she was diagnosed, she was not old enough to have a routine colonoscopy. Now the age to get the 1st colonoscooy is 45. I often think if she were me and had to have a colonoscopy at 43, she may be alive today. 

I never miss my testing, God love her, the poor girl, she was so full of life and taken away to soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I believe insurance would cover a 5 year interval.  Especially with having a polyp.  DH has had many more than I as he has had polyps over the years.  First it was 3 years then he went to 5.  It was explained even if your polyp is benign 5 years is the recommended time frame.  We never had it not covered.  We have a friend of ours who is 82 and he told us that they will not do anymore colonoscopies on him due to the fact that as you get older the tissue in the colon thins and can tear easily during the procedure. 

DH is 70 . 

Honored Contributor

I had my first a year ago with three polyps removed and was told to be back in three years.  I never even thought about insurance not covering it next time if it was not the 10 year interval.  With the first anniversary this past November I was already considering bumping it myself to 5 year.  That drink is so nasty but will probably go ahead in two years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I have always thought that an insurance company would cover a procedure if a person is high risk.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@SeaMaiden I believe insurance would cover a 5 year interval.  Especially with having a polyp.  DH has had many more than I as he has had polyps over the years.  First it was 3 years then he went to 5.  It was explained even if your polyp is benign 5 years is the recommended time frame. 

We never had it not covered.  We have a friend of ours who is 82 and he told us that they will not do anymore colonoscopies on him due to the fact that as you get older the tissue in the colon thins and can tear easily during the procedure. 

DH is 70 . 

@LindaSal 

Guessing "this 82 year old friend" is on Medicare. It was either last August or September, I had both a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy in the same procedure. I was/am 83, and they were completely covered. Never heard that one before, but know for me, it was not true.

No polyps/no bleeding, my Barrett's Esophagus is being kept in check by my twice daily Nexium.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@SeaMaiden I believe insurance would cover a 5 year interval.  Especially with having a polyp.  DH has had many more than I as he has had polyps over the years.  First it was 3 years then he went to 5.  It was explained even if your polyp is benign 5 years is the recommended time frame.  We never had it not covered.  We have a friend of ours who is 82 and he told us that they will not do anymore colonoscopies on him due to the fact that as you get older the tissue in the colon thins and can tear easily during the procedure. 

DH is 70 . 

@LindaSal  so far my insurance company has coverd mine. It has always been every five years even though there were no polyps the last two times.

In two years it will be the first time where Medicare will be paying for it.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I had my first a year ago with three polyps removed and was told to be back in three years.  I never even thought about insurance not covering it next time if it was not the 10 year interval.  With the first anniversary this past November I was already considering bumping it myself to 5 year.  That drink is so nasty but will probably go ahead in two years.

@beckyb1012  for me i have always had the powder and mixed it with Crystal Lite Lemonade. I must say it was delicious. The Pharmacist told me to add as many packs of lemonade to taste.

Respected Contributor

My doctor recommended that I have  a colonoscopy every 3 years. My father had colon cancer and his brother had colon cancer. I had a precancer polyp removed in 2021 so I am due for another colonoscopy  next year. I don't look forward to it but I tell myself it's one yucky day every 3 years. So I do it. 

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn  I don't know where to put this so I'll do it here.  I too have Barrett's.  Was diagnosed 9 years ago.

Have had GERD for 24 years which probably led to Barrett's.   I was getting checked every year but it has gotten much better.  I had esophogitatis too, very inflammed but it has been gone for a few years with diet change.

I had my colonoscopy/endoscopy last week.  I used to go every year but since no polyps and Esophogaus looks real good  he has scheduled me again for 2 years intead of every year.

How often do you go and how much Nexium do you take?  I take 20mg of Prilosec twice a day, morning and bedtime.  I heard you can up it to 40mg twice a day and wonder if that's too much.

If my reflux is bad I do take  spoonful  of liquid gaviscon for relief in between.  That's what healed my esophagitis.  Thanks.