Super Contributor

This is my second one in six months... Dr. had a hard time getting a polyp out last time and this was a repeat performance.  Sort of remembred how nasty Supprep is and again had a hard time drinking that horrible disgusting taste... I mixed it with Brisk icetea and that did not kill the taste... Chewed gum and ate caramel candy...Apple juice and white grape too.

The first prep was at 4pm and the second at 9pm... Well the second was harder and nausea set in really bad... Made it through the procedure and 2 precancer polyps were removed...Thank godness.  Dr. wants to see me in a year becuase of the polyps - this time he will give me nausea pills - anything to help...

Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy yesterday

[ Edited ]

Hubby was on liquids the day before and did his prep at 7 pm and 3 am, yes 3 am, what a lovely way to start his day

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

@hondagirl, when I had my first colonoscopy, my doctor referred me (someone with a queasy stomach) to a top notch gastro in the area who uses what they call the "easy prep."  It consists of a couple of laxative pills followed by mixing flavorless Miralax into water or tea or Gatorade or CrystalLight-type mixes.  Since sugary sweet and artificial sweetener drinks are never my choice, I just mix the Miralax in water. So, the prep consists of drinking what tastes like 8 glasses of water. That's it!  So easy. And, according to the gastro, studies have shown that the "easy prep"method actually works better to clean out the colon than the icky tasting prescription prep.  My gastro said that more and more of her colleagues have switched to the easy prep because of that. I've done that same easy prep for the multiple colonoscopies I've had and it has never been a problem for me at all.  So, I encourage you to talk with your gastro about doing the easy prep method the next time. 

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl

Never had that before any of my 20 Colon Procedures. Before each procedure I had to drink a gallon on GoLytley/NuLytely, same ingredients but more flavors that change nothing. 

What I read about Supprep, at least you are drinking 32oz less, and aren't required to do it in 4 hours or less. Sorry it is tough for you to handle, my 20 gallons wasn't much fun either.

Look at the Optimistic/Good side, you drink a quart less/over more time, and the doctor removed what would have been a possible deadly type of cancer.

GoLytely was not my biggest issue, that was the fact after each procedure they had not located my bleeding. So!! Back for a repeat in 3days/another in 3 days and on and on we go. Was I Optimistic each time? Yes, optimism was/is my best friend. Looking at the negatives would have done nothing for, and for you seems to override your positives.

Hope your visit next year is more pleasant and optimistic for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I can't handle that Supprep again...The second dose is worse because the stomach is already hating this prep and not only is the nausea bad but the chills and freezing starts.. I had two robes on and could not warm up... How could this horribe product still be on the market.  Many people on the internet complained about it and others said it wasn't a problem...I ould not wait for the night to be over and get to the hosiptal the next day and put me out of my misery...

Honored Contributor

I wonder why Supprep is difficult for some and not for others.  I'm one of those who had no problem with it.  Didn't mix it with anything else either.  Had my procedure last August.  Good for 5 years.  

Honored Contributor

I've had four and my body does not do well with any prep I have been given.  I dehydrate immediately.  On one of my procedures, I got in the shower and saw multiple stars and colors and knew I was going to faint.  My daughter called 911 and I was taken by stretcher into the facility and put on IVs immediately before I could have the colonoscopy.  Nurse told me I was "blue." 

Fortunately, I always have good results . . . no polyps ever.  Doc told me last time it was a "smooth ride" from top to bottom. 

I don't know why they just can't give me an enema and next time I think I will ask for one, given my history with prep.  If I did fall, I'd probably bust a couple of vertebrae.

Glad it's over for you.  Given your tendency toward nausea, maybe they'd give you an enema too.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

hondagirl....

I also had to use the Suprep--my colonoscopy was two days ago. This is the second colonoscopy I had to have in 16 months. Had the Suprep the first time and it was the vilest thing I ever had to drink--I swore I would NEVER use it again, yet here I am, less than 2 years later, having to deal with it again. My gastro refused to let me use anything else. He suggsetsed using ginger ale instead of water to mix in it--it did not help. What I did was take a spoonful of crushed ice, a big sip of the prep and following with another spoonful of crushed ice--which numbed my mouth a bit. I was only able to get the afternoon dose down--didn't do the morning dose--I was dry heaving at that point.

My doctor removed 3 polyps and biopsied an area of inflammation in my colon---haven't gotten the results yet--I am understandably concerned as I have chronic uterine cancer. I'm praying it did not spread to my colon--or that I have another new primary cancer. My doctor feels I should have my DNA analyzed--maybe I have a mutation that predisposes me to cancer and other diseases---those polyps should not have grown so fast--my colonoscopy 16 months ago was clear.

I'm glad you are OK, hondgirl---now I need some prayers!!!

Respected Contributor

I've had several colonoscopies.  Once the doc prescribed a prep that cost over $100 (my ins. didn't cover it).  I refused to pay that and called the doc.  The nurse told me of various preps I could buy in the drugstore.

I went with taking several Dulcolax pills and making a mix of Crystal Light lemon and miralax.  This I could tolerate and it didn't cost a lot. 

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom ~ positive thoughts and prayers that your results read clear.❤️🙏🏻