Honored Contributor

April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month

Please read and share, if you are so inclined.Cat Happy

@hckynut

@mistriTsquirrel

Honored Contributor

Re: April is Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month

People should get screenings for this cancer, just like they get colonoscopy's.   Often when sypmtoms present, it's too late.   

Raising awareness is a good first step

Honored Contributor

my sisters fiance was diagnosed with this type of cancer a few years ago.

he was diagnosed in january and was gone by october.

it is a horrible way to die.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have been tested for this. I also get an endoscope  each time I get my colonoscopy. I showed a tumor on my esophagus approx. 11 years ago. I had to go to Mayo in Rochester, MN. and recently I received a call regading this test re: the tumor. They are still doing a lot of research regading these tumors. I was lucky that they got most of it at an early stage. It had not grown when I was checked last time. Thank God! I am finally on a 5 year re-check. I went from 1yr to 3yr. and then 5.

I have GERD and so I need to watch this carefully and I do. If you have GERD you should have an endoscopy when you get your colonoscopy. I do it this way to avoid being sedated more than once. I am due again in January. Thanks for this thread as I didn't know that April was Awareness month.

@sunshine45 @lolakimono@software

Respected Contributor

I lost my Mom to this disease . She collapsed one night, and two weeks later she was gone. 

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I lost my Mom to this disease . She collapsed one night, and two weeks later she was gone. 

I am so sorry you lost your mom. I miss mine so much. If you don't mind saying, did she have GERD or other symptoms of the disease?

Honored Contributor

@Leeny

Check out ecan.org for more information.  They do a lot for advocacy.  

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining

I think she did . The sad thing is that I believe she tried to hide it from my dad or any one else, that she was having symptoms. I lived several states away , and flew home straight away when I got the news that she had collapsed. Her stomach and esphagus was full of holes and beyond any hope of repair at that point. It haunts me every day and breaks my heart that she kept it a secret. Surely she had to have known that something was really wrong ?

Trusted Contributor

Periwinkle is the color for this cancer.   I don't normally wear colored nail polish but I do paint both little fingers to show my support.   I do not have a ribbon.   My friend lost his brother to this about 20 years ago.  He was treated for acid reflex but was not checked for cancer until it was to late.  Thank goodness medicine keeps learning and improving but its progress will not be fast enough until all cancers and other terminal illnesses are defeated.

I also need to remember to request I be checked in September when I have my yearly.

Thank you for the reminder.  I noted it on my appointment calendar.

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

@Silver Lining

I think she did . The sad thing is that I believe she tried to hide it from my dad or any one else, that she was having symptoms. I lived several states away , and flew home straight away when I got the news that she had collapsed. Her stomach and esphagus was full of holes and beyond any hope of repair at that point. It haunts me every day and breaks my heart that she kept it a secret. Surely she had to have known that something was really wrong ?

My sincere condolences to you. I still have horrible memories of my father's painful death many years ago. I'm so very sorry that your mother literally suffered in silence.