Honored Contributor

Hi my friend @LilacTree

Unfortunately an enema doesn't come even close to cleaning ones complete colon. We are talking, in some people, one being myself, that has an 8' colon. How do I know? My bleeding Right Colon, according to my Gastro Doctor, is the furthest point from the entry of the scope.

That is one of the reasons my bleeding was so hard to find, and the umpteen procedures, one after the other. I think an enema for a colonoscopy, in most cases, would do little to nothing when it comes to cleaning "feet of a colon".

While I have a pretty forgiving stomach, it hasn't/isn't a thing high on my list that is real easy to do. Many of the procedures(the GoLytely part), I had to used my well learned "Mental Imagery" to hopefully trick my body into thinking it was one of my favorite foods, especially the last couple of 8oz glasses.

Now I was nothing but Orange Jello and Apple Juice in the hospital for 17 straight days. Only other things going into my body were GoLytely/IV fluid and Blood transfusions. I too thought, "why do I need another gallon on this ****** when my stomach(and colon)are empty"?

Later down the road I found out the answer. In my case, even though nothing solid had entered my body in going on 3 weeks, the could not complete 1 of my Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopies, because of "dried blood". That meant 2+ more days in the hospital/another Gallon of NuLytely, and then the DBE Procedure, to stop the bleeding.

Glad no polyps were found so maybe you have had your last look at your colon.

Take good care,

JOhn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I always eat verly lightly for about three days before and it really helps.  Things like scrambled eggs and toast, jello, things like that.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi my friend @LilacTree

Unfortunately an enema doesn't come even close to cleaning ones complete colon. We are talking, in some people, one being myself, that has an 8' colon. How do I know? My bleeding Right Colon, according to my Gastro Doctor, is the furthest point from the entry of the scope.

That is one of the reasons my bleeding was so hard to find, and the umpteen procedures, one after the other. I think an enema for a colonoscopy, in most cases, would do little to nothing when it comes to cleaning "feet of a colon".

While I have a pretty forgiving stomach, it hasn't/isn't a thing high on my list that is real easy to do. Many of the procedures(the GoLytely part), I had to used my well learned "Mental Imagery" to hopefully trick my body into thinking it was one of my favorite foods, especially the last couple of 8oz glasses.

Now I was nothing but Orange Jello and Apple Juice in the hospital for 17 straight days. Only other things going into my body were GoLytely/IV fluid and Blood transfusions. I too thought, "why do I need another gallon on this ****** when my stomach(and colon)are empty"?

Later down the road I found out the answer. In my case, even though nothing solid had entered my body in going on 3 weeks, the could not complete 1 of my Lower Double Balloon Enteroscopies, because of "dried blood". That meant 2+ more days in the hospital/another Gallon of NuLytely, and then the DBE Procedure, to stop the bleeding.

Glad no polyps were found so maybe you have had your last look at your colon.

Take good care,

JOhn

@hckynut

I would bow to you John, as an expert on colons.  I'll have to re-read the information I found online which seemed to indicate an enema would be sufficient, although I did wonder how it would get to the small intestine. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that I won't need one . . . I can't remember how many years ago I had the last one, but I know it was less than six because I remember where I lived at the time I dehydrated so badly.

Thanks for the heads up.  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy yesterday

[ Edited ]

Like I said before, I think some of these gastro docs out there are sadists!! My doc would never ask his patients to drink anything nasty. He uses citrate magnesium pills or the liquid mixed with ginger ale, nothing nasty to get down. And he allows a regular breakfast the day before the test.

Respected Contributor

I had a routine screening march 2016. I had my annual wellness in july 2016 and reported to my doc " I guess I am developing IBS bc of daily diarrhea" After a very brief conversation she said that docs are finding some patients do not recover "normal bowel" functions due to the spripping of the good bacteria. She said just bump up the probiotics.

I took the general probiotics for a few weeks and no real improvement. So from this forum I learned about VSL #3 a medical grade probiotic. I took 1-3 daily for about 2 months and now just 1 daily and I am back to normal. Since VSL#3 must be refrigerated I use Florastor when traveling. I'm not going to stop the probiotics.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut @hondagirl

Upon further research, John is right.  Enemas are insufficient as they do not reach the small intestine, which can leak into the large intestine, making the colonoscopy incomplete (and we wouldn't want to do the prep again, would we?  LOL)

Since my last one was so clean, and I have probably less than ten years left, another colonoscopy would probably do me more harm than good.  So you are right again, John.  I am impressed. 

As for you, hondagirl, you are probably much younger than me, and you have already had several worrisome polyps, so you are probably going to be having a few more colonoscopies in your future.  In that case I wish for you a prep that does not make you so ill.   Image result for peanuts characters

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@ECBG  A lighter diet a day, 2 days, maybe even 3 days prior to doing your prep is certainly advised and described in your instructions that you get from your doctor.

Miralax in light colored Gatorade is what works the best. No taste to the Miralax, it's a white powder that you mix in 2  32oz bottles.  I mix as much as I can in the first bottle, the remaining in the 2nd bottle.  AND the instructions will also indicate to continue to drink water to avoid dehydration.  Makes good sense.

If you start this process mid/late afternoon you'll be completely finished by bedtime so that you get a good night's rest.  Some doctors will tell you to save some of your drink and finish it off a few hours prior to your exam, others won't mention you do this.  I've done it both ways and I prefer to finish it all the day/night before.  I just want to be done with it as most will agree.

Trusted Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@hondagirl, when I had my first colonoscopy, my doctor referred me (someone with a queasy stomach) to a top notch gastro in the area who uses what they call the "easy prep."  It consists of a couple of laxative pills followed by mixing flavorless Miralax into water or tea or Gatorade or CrystalLight-type mixes.  Since sugary sweet and artificial sweetener drinks are never my choice, I just mix the Miralax in water. So, the prep consists of drinking what tastes like 8 glasses of water. That's it!  So easy. And, according to the gastro, studies have shown that the "easy prep"method actually works better to clean out the colon than the icky tasting prescription prep.  My gastro said that more and more of her colleagues have switched to the easy prep because of that. I've done that same easy prep for the multiple colonoscopies I've had and it has never been a problem for me at all.  So, I encourage you to talk with your gastro about doing the easy prep method the next time. 

Yup!  This is the prep our gastro doc has been using for years.  None of it is fun, but it's not horrible.  I saw a few photos after the procedure.  Clean as a whistle, LOL!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

The paperwork that my gastro doc gave me before the test called it a "low residue diet".

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@ECBG  A lighter diet a day, 2 days, maybe even 3 days prior to doing your prep is certainly advised and described in your instructions that you get from your doctor.

Valued Contributor

AKgirl....Thank you for the kind words!!! I have not gotten my pathology results yet from the polyp removal & biopsy during my colonoscopy---maybe tomorrow?

I'm not sure which is worse----doing the nasty, vile prep OR waiting for the pathology results!!!!!!!!

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Gracies Mom ~ positive thoughts and prayers that your results read clear.❤️🙏🏻