Honored Contributor

I am due for a colonscopy and not looking forward to it.  I hate the prep and the procedure.

My father had colon cancer, so because of that I am considered to be high risk.

I hope everyone's colon is clean and clear with no polyps or cancer.  Be well everyone.

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

This must be the week for colonoscopies. Mine is Thursday. I am eating all soft foods today and will have my clear liquids tomorrow. Like another poster, the only colors I have to stay away from are red and purple. I'm making a couple of big pans of orange Jell-O to have on hand for tomorrow and have chicken bullion ready to go. Other than Lifesavers, that's all I'll be eating tomorrow.

I've always had the old-fashioned prep and always been cleaned out. When my husband had his first colonoscopy three years ago, the doctor ordered the MiraLAX/Gatorade prep, and it did not clean him out well enough, but the doctor managed to get all the polyps out, and he is repeating his colonoscopy this fall. The doctor is going to order the old fashioned prep for him instead of the MiraLAX. Not sure why I've never had the easy prep, because I've never had any issues, but I'd rather have the gallon jug prep and be cleaned out, so I don't have to do it over again.

I am wondering if that's why they added the two Ducolax for good measure, and also that's the reason why I started a day earlier and will have two days of liquid diet. I had a friend who had so much trouble getting "cleaned out" that she had to have three days of liquid diet! 

My doctor has a name for it.  It's called "sticky poo".

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@chrystaltree I am having a 3 year check in August because a polyp was found.  I watch what I eat a good 4 to 5 days prior to testing.  

I ate Luigi's lemon ice.  It was great because it was actually spooning "food" and eating.  Also Jello and clear juices.  

I drank the tumblers of "prep" over ice slowly over time.  I tried adding flavoring to one glass and it was awful.  I am glad I didn't taint the whole batch.  By midnight I was cleaned out and I went to bed.  There was no way I was getting up at 3 in the morning and drinking another tumbler.  The doc said I was totally cleaned out.

All the best to you.  Yes, the prep is the worst part.  Soon it will be behind you. Woman Wink

lol

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I did that gallon monstrosity two years ago for my first and I pray I can do something different next time.  I have to have another one in Nov. 2024 and I am already dreading it.  I was so full after drinking all that I had only one sugar free butterscotch hard disk candy and took one bite of the lime jello I made.  My SIL picked me up a bacon burger on the way home but I had such a migraine it was the following day before I felt up to eating it.  I hope all goes well @chrystaltree.  One thing I did learn was do the drinking at the time I wanted not what they recommended.  I was still feeling the "effects" of the prep 45 minutes before my SIL picked me up for my 7:00 a.m. procedure!  I knew I needed to start the prep early for my body.

@beckyb1012 

That "gallon monstrosity" was most likely GoLytely or NuLytely. Last Fall I drank gallon #21. Side effects after? None.

For some it's a tough go. I figured out about gallon #3, the best way to get it down for me. There were a couple times as an In-patient they moved my time up an hour or more, and that made it a tougher go for me having to drink it faster than "my way"!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

You reminded me that mine is due.  I just called  and made my appointment for August 25.

Respected Contributor

Appreciating everyone's shared, specific, experiences, learned lessons.

Don't have one scheduled now, but it surely is on my horizon.

Found myself, however, hoping there are different FOOD choices than those people said they used. I hate jello and can't do chicken anything. 

Love the attitudes you all had for an unwelcome but healthy procedure.

Respected Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy tomorrow

[ Edited ]

I've had quite a few myself and last in January and I mentioned here it's best to stop eating any fiber about 3 to 4 days before.

This makes the clean out so much easier.

By day 4 you are not hungry anymore anymore as your stomach has shrunk.  I'm surprised they never take body weight or stature into consideration.  I'm tall and thin. I have never could or would finish a gallon of the prep.  I drink half and have always been clean on test day.

Why because there is not much food in my system to begin with.  It's a breeze.

My advice?  Please slow down the food 3 or 4 days ahead.  Consume no fiber.  I eat white bread, mashed potatoes, white pasta with butter, etc.  It's simple.  I also eat sugar cookies, pound cake and ice cream.

Good luck on your procedure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

You reminded me that mine is due.  I just called  and made my appointment for August 25.

@Scooby Doo 

Good for you.  🙌

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Malcontent

Love It! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've never had a colonoscopy done. I just sent in a Cologuard sample today.

I have had 2, the test is nothing, the prep is the worst part, but you get gold standard testing, which you will never get from Cologuard.  And I know you are smart enough to realize that already.