Honored Contributor

My first was with "twilight sleep", my second I was out cold.

I did have a hysterosalpingogram once ( won't describe it, if you've had one you'll know what I mean) without ANY aesthetic or sedation, and I felt like a balloon in a Macy's Thanksgivng Parade. 

Even though "the conversation" isn't always offered, with age I've learned to ASK- "Is sedation/a aesthetic offered, and if so WHAT KIND?"

Trusted Contributor
Nope I would not want to be awake!
Honored Contributor

Uggh, I'll have one coming up soon. My first one.

Honored Contributor

@ssfbeagle

Oh, goodness.  That's awful. Did you have pain?  I ask this because the second one I had done I woke up in the middle of the procedure and it was terribly painful.  I was crying and they had to stop.  I was really traumatized.  I wouldn't have another one for a long, long time.  The next time I agreed to have one because I was having issues, I was practically hysterical when I went in and told them all what happened to me before.  This time, I had a new hospital, and a new doctor!  They said --- don't worry -- we will make sure this does not happen to you again!  I have had probably 4 since then and have never had any problems.  I am getting another one in a week.  Not looking forward to it as to me, any procedure is scary.  

I am sorry you went through this.  But at least now you will know that you need to make them aware ahead of time that you need more and a different medication to put you out.  

I, for one, don't want to feel or be aware of any of it!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

At the center where I go they use Propofol, works like a charm, dont feel a thing and get a good sleep.

Contributor

I've always been put out cold as per my request.

Honored Contributor

Wow .....   I've known two people who woke up in the middle of that procedure ....  they said it was painful and NOT pleasant.

I would make sure the anesthesiologist knew I wanted to be OUT COLD.

Valued Contributor

"Bring my own Ativan" may be why you were awake. If you take Ativan, even irregularly, you will not be fully sedated for the procedure. I was taking it sometimes for sleep and the doc was very clear that I would feel the procedure and be aware of what was happening. He was right. I have had friends who took a little benzo "just in case" before a procedure and they were more aware than they wanted to be. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

At the center where I go they use Propofol, works like a charm, dont feel a thing and get a good sleep.

Yes, that is what they use at our center too.  I just asked for light sedation which worked fine, but in fact, I may have gotten the normal dose. 

Honored Contributor

I've only had one so far, but was knocked out for it.  I remember hearing the anesthesiologist saying it was the "Michael Jackson" drug and that was the last thing I heard until they woke me after it was all over.