Frequent Contributor

Colonoscopy Disaster

[ Edited ]

I had my 5 year colonoscopy two days ago.  I felt almost the entire procedure this time.  When I asked for more sedation, all I got was Benadryl IV.  This was done at the hospital I work at.  I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago an have read that can make a colonoscopy more painful.  The good news is that they removed one polyp.  Next time I'll take my own Ativan ahead of time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Disaster

[ Edited ]

You were actually awake during the procedure?  Were you supposed to be?  I was out cold seconds after being wheeled into the room.  Interesting about the hysterectomy.

Frequent Contributor

I was awake for most of it and could feel the scope moving around.  I will make sure I am completely sedated before the next one in 5 years!

Respected Contributor

Oh, gosh.  I wouldn't want to be awake for that. 

Interesting about the hysterectomy aspect though.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I had a hysterectomy and have had more than one colonoscopy and never felt anything. Do you know what type of drug they gave you?

Honored Contributor

I was totally out of it for all 3 of my colonoscopies, but would love to be awake to watch it!  

I was totally awake and talking to my doctor when I had my tubes tied many years ago, and found that procedure very interesting.   I only had to spend 30 minutes in recovery before I was discharged.   

Am glad this procedure is over and done for you, @ssfbeagle

Frequent Contributor

I believe they gave me Benadryl and Versed.  Last time they included Fentanyl.  I overheard that the Fentanyl was not on the new "order set".   By that time the procedure was underway.  Believe me, I will ask for it next time. 

Honored Contributor

@ssfbeagle wrote:

I believe they gave me Benadryl and Versed.  Last time they included Fentanyl.  I overheard that the Fentanyl was not on the new "order set".   By that time the procedure was underway.  Believe me, I will ask for it next time. 

I've never heard of anyone being given Benadryl for a colonoscopy, but it may be common for all I know. I was given Versed and something else. I can't recall what it was, but it wasn't Benadryl. Yes, next time tell them you do NOT want to be awake. No more Benadryl.

Honored Contributor

I was mostly awake for several colonoscopies, then I requested it be done when an anesthesiologist was present.  I had a chat with him before the procedure, and I was awake no more.  Same with a surgery I had, I always got deathly ill until I talked to the anesthesiologist who took care of the problem.  Surely if you work in a hospital, you know to speak up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ssfbeagle wrote:

I had my 5 year colonoscopy two days ago.  I felt almost the entire procedure this time.  When I asked for more sedation, all I got was Benadryl IV.  This was done at the hospital I work at.  I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago an have read that can make a colonoscopy more painful.  The good news is that they removed one polyp.  Next time I'll take my own Ativan ahead of time.

i have had 15 colonoscopies, the last one being less than 2 weeks ago. 12 of them were done using Versed and Fentynol in my IV. 2 of them were done with zero Anesthesia. the most recent 1 was done using Propofol, and I woke up during the procedure. I told my Gastro Doctor I wanted to watch the rest of the procedure, which included watching her fix my Right Colon bleeding by using a laser.

Being your work there, and/or even being just a regular patient, seems like you would ask what Anesthesia and how much would be used for your colonoscopy. I think before your next one you might be more well informed and pro-active about what exactly they are doing to your body.

To me this should apply to any invasive procedure, with or without anesthesia. Never heard about using benadryl for an invasive procedure. As you say, the good thing is they removed the polyp.

hnj

hckynut(john)