Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I've only had one so far, but was knocked out for it.  I remember hearing the anesthesiologist saying it was the "Michael Jackson" drug and that was the last thing I heard until they woke me after it was all over.

I remember my anestheologist saying what's so great about propofol is that you go under fast ... and come out fast.  He was right!

Honored Contributor

@jewel3 wrote:

"Bring my own Ativan" may be why you were awake. If you take Ativan, even irregularly, you will not be fully sedated for the procedure. I was taking it sometimes for sleep and the doc was very clear that I would feel the procedure and be aware of what was happening. He was right. I have had friends who took a little benzo "just in case" before a procedure and they were more aware than they wanted to be. 

Seems like a risky thing to do if they were not aware you had already taken a sedative. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This scares me, i think i need one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

I finally found out I did receive the Fenanyl, Versed and Benadryl "cocktail".  I must have woken up at some point during the procedure.  Next time I will ask for Proprofol.  Also to clear things up, I did not take any Ativan before the procedure.  Thanks for all your thoughts.  I am relieved it is over and the polyp was removed.  Will check with the GI doc next week for pathology results.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest,

If you are 60, you should have already had at least one colonoscopy and be due for a second.   

I urge you to face your fears and schedule a consult appointment to have this life saving test.   Once you take the first step towards doing this, you will have the determination to get thru the prep and procedure.   Please don't get hung up on fear; just do what you need to do.   

Trust your doctor, and go into the consult appointment ready to discuss your prep options and what sedation drugs will be used during the procedure.   

If you read 100 posts about colonoscopy experiences, you will interpret many different things based on your mindset.   The main thing is to just do the test and gain your own experience.   My best wishes to you in taking the first step.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Uggh, I'll have one coming up soon. My first one.

@qualitygal

not to worry as most them are uneventful. there is enough info

in this thread to inform you of things you should ask your doctor before your first one. 

hnj

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Our doctor's office mentioned that some insurance companies are "encouraging" conscious sedation (relaxed and pain free, but semi conscious). Apparently there's more risks associated with being fully under, but the bigger issue is that Propofol is expensive and needs an anesthesiologist to administer it - who isn't always covered by insurance, unless the patient is high risk.

So bottom line...it costs more and so insurance companies and doctors are rethinking the general use for low risk patients. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

This scares me, i think i need one.

@goldensrbest

i doubt anyone here has had as many scopes up their bums as have i. In addition to my 15 Colonoscopies, i have also had 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies, same basic procedure/longer scope with High Definition camera. not a 15-20 minute procedure, closer to 2 hours. my 2nd one, where they repaired my Right Colon? it was over 4 hours to complete.

read my other posts in this thread they should ease your fears. you say: "I think i need one".  if you are 50 years old, you do need one. you would be foolish to take this lightly and not have it done. Colon Cancer is 1 of the most preventable of all types of Cancer, but only if a person does what is best for their own health.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Even though I was aware of the procedure and felt it somewhat, it was not painful. A little uncomfortable momentarily a few times as they took biopsies but not painful and it was definitely interesting. I was taking a small dose of lorazepam at night for better sleep so the gastro doc told me I would be aware. 

Stopped the the lorazepam soon after but I would not mind if it worked out this way next time. When my chemo port was inserted, I only had a local for that as I wanted to see the procedure on camera. Very interesting. 

Valued Contributor

I too woke up during mine and was in pain; they immediately upped the meds and I was out again,  I had previously had laparoscopic surgery and they tell me there is scar tissue and the scope was caught coming back out.  I was sore for several days, but honestly knowing all was well and suggested the ten year plan was not that bad!  I have had two upper scopes since and woke up once, the last one was easier than any, let them know you wake during procedures and adjustments can be made.