Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cataract Surgery/Driving

@sillycat wrote:

For those of you who have had the surgery.  Would I be able to drive 2 days after the surgery?

I didn't drive the day of the surgery or the next morning to the follow-up appointment. My Dr. said everything was great! When my son dropped me off at home, I got in my car and drove to check on my mom. Be sure to have a good pair of sunglasses! Your eye(s) will be more sensitive than before the surgery. Best wishes and enjoy the colorful world!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Regular Contributor

I had to have someone drive me the next morning for the post-op visit, as I had to leave the eye guard on overnight following the surgery. As soon as he removed the guard and checked my vision, I was immediately cleared to drive.

Trusted Contributor

It is so individualized as many have stated. One factor is once your first eye is healed, how is the refraction in the second eye. If you wore glasses with a stron prescription before surgery, your prescption will not be usable after surgery, .You could possibly have the lens of the glasses for your operated eye removed but a lot of folks just do not feel comfortable driving when ehir vission is "lopsided". One reason a lot of folks have the second eye done within a couple of weeks from the first. 

Hope your surgery goes well.