Valued Contributor

NutriSystem tsv, anyone do this program?

Hope this is the right forum. Didn't know where to post my question. I'm thinking hubby and I can do a month of this even if food isn't that great.

Honored Contributor

Re: NutriSystem tsv, anyone do this program?

There will be many people who will tell you the food is bad ( it is )  and that you can do better on your own ( maybe ). However , speaking as one who has tried it it did help me with portion control and served it's purpose. Once in a while I will pick up the 5 day box at .Walmart, when I've over indulged . If you and your husband need a kick start, go for it. JMO

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nadine

DH is on this program, and has lost 40 lbs. several of the food choices he really likes. He plans to stay on it for quite a while. 🙂

hes tried many and this is the one that has really worked for him.

Esteemed Contributor

I tried NutriSystem for about 3 months.  I did lose weight.  Some of the food tasted okay.  Some of it I did not like at all, but I forced myself to eat it.  I still had food for one more month, but I got so sick of eating it that I stopped.  Of course I eventually gained some of the weight back.

I don't think that "food" is so good for you - a lot of chemicals in there.  Plus, unless you are going to eat it for the rest of your life, you are not really changing your lifestyle.  The only thing it shows you is how small your portions should really be.

I am happy for the people that found success with it.  But I think more people than not gain the weight back once they go off the program.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips  I think you are "right on" with your answer.  It can teach people about portions, but once they stop the program, they don't know what or how to eat properly.  I'm a big believer in whole foods, rather than processed, as these are.  I think Weight Watchers has a good program.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

I love NS.  Went off it due to Easter, aside from all the goodies that day, took home a stash which I just finished - and enjoyed.

But, I'm also looking forward to going back on program.  Food tastes good - I don't really care for the choc shakes and the special bars.  Other than that it's great - got the vegetarian.

I've found the best thing about this program is that it makes me eat better, which means including veggies and fruits in my diet a lot more often that I normally would.  It does teach serving size also.  And, it's so nice to just rush into the market pick up a few fruits and veggies basically and I'm out the door.  It eliminates extra spending 'cause by not shopping around, I don't get tempted.  And, living alone is a pita for cooking.  Oftentimes a bag of chips and dip would suffice for dinner - a quick and easy fix.  Now, I've got NS for my quick and easy fix and it sustains me much longer.

I think the weight loss amount is dependent on several factors such as how much overweight one is and how efficient one's body is at holding on.  Guess it all goes back to the caveman days!Woman LOL

Anyways, good luck and enjoy!

Super Contributor

I was on it most of 2015, well, 9 mos anyway. Lost 50 lbs., it's still off. Plan to try to lose 30 more eventually, but want to wear out some clothes first.

I didn't care much for the food, pizzas were so-so, some was good. Too many bars, not enough hot food, but I really wanted it to work.  I didn't m/w the food, you can use all the broth you want, so I'd pour some into a small fry pan, add onions, garlic, and veggies, then the food. Was very good, still do it with shelf-stable single-serving food Kroger sells. Food bars, single-serve snacks, etc., round out the day.

Being a scratch cook, whole-food nut, I found it hard to accept, but I can now walk thru WalMart again. My back problems will never go away, but I'm more active now.

Just my experience.

Esteemed Contributor

@summerwind wrote:

I was on it most of 2015, well, 9 mos anyway. Lost 50 lbs., it's still off. Plan to try to lose 30 more eventually, but want to wear out some clothes first.

I didn't care much for the food, pizzas were so-so, some was good. Too many bars, not enough hot food, but I really wanted it to work.  I didn't m/w the food, you can use all the broth you want, so I'd pour some into a small fry pan, add onions, garlic, and veggies, then the food. Was very good, still do it with shelf-stable single-serving food Kroger sells. Food bars, single-serve snacks, etc., round out the day.

Being a scratch cook, whole-food nut, I found it hard to accept, but I can now walk thru WalMart again. My back problems will never go away, but I'm more active now.

Just my experience.

CONGRATULATIONS, @summerwind!  I read your post.  Losing fifty pounds is quite an accomplishment.  You've lost five dress sizes!  I'm sure you'll keep up and lose your last thirty!Woman Very Happy

Super Contributor

@eddyandme, Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@summerwind, congratulations on the weight loss.  

@Nadine, I have not given thought to NutriSystem in a long time, but I ordered the vegetarian option today.  Since my knee surgery, I have not been able to work out since October and I don't want to have to go begging to Goodwill to buy back my old clothes.  I am not a fan of meat anyway, but I think packaged meat might taste not so good.  I also think that with enough seasonings, you can make most things taste pretty good.  It is worth doing this for a month or maybe two.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!