Occasional Contributor

For those of you who have had the surgery.  Would I be able to drive 2 days after the surgery?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cataract Surgery/Driving

If it's your first eye; two days would be pushing it; if it's your second eye, no problem!

Honored Contributor

I did, but the answer to your question is really up to your doctor. 

I notice that there is a LOT of difference of doctor’s input on this.

Respected Contributor

Every individual is different, so it's best to consult your doctor about what is right for you.

I drove the day following my surgery, but I only had one cataract that was caused by a surgery to fix a detached retina. My other eye was fine. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

After I had my first one done, I needed to have somebody drive me to my post op visit the next morning........and then the doctor cleared me to drive. 

Honored Contributor

I did not, but again, do what your Dr. says, I would certainly keep the eye covered with sunglasses, because you are still putting drops in!

Honored Contributor

I drove to a dental appointment the afternoon after my morning surgery.  They did say not to drive due to the sedation drugs for the rest of the day, but I had no one to take me and I felt fine so off I went.  There were no other restrictions on driving.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

After I had my first one done, I needed to have somebody drive me to my post op visit the next morning........and then the doctor cleared me to drive. 

@CinNC

Me too.

Just make sure you have some 'good' sunglasses, as my eyes were pretty sensitive to bright sunlight.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

With my first eye, I was legally cleared the next day but it was suggested I wait another day or two.

I had my second eye done this AM.  My follow-up is tomorrow morning.  Already I am so much better than I was after the first eye.

Honored Contributor

Sure. As soon as the eye wakes up from surgery you can drive just fine.  You just do not want to do any heavy lifting, exercise... or bump your head or rub your eye for a couple of weeks.