Respected Contributor

I have been taking it for years. I like the idea of not being dependent on these expensive pharma drugs, however I cannot exist without it and not have raging, life ruining heartburn. Anybody ever have success with quitting? I’ve googled, I find no hope out there. (I’ve been fully worked up by a gastro.) Thanks,

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

What diagnosis has you taking Nexium for years?  Have you tried changing what you eat, and when? How about how you sleep?

I also have been on Nexium for years, but I have no heartburn or any noticeable symptoms. I will be taking it for the foreseeable future and I have never had any side effects from doing so.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot get off Nexium

[ Edited ]

Yes, I kicked the habit.  My doctor insisted; all you have to do is read the possible long-term side effects, which I was starting to experience.   I started taking 2 acid reducers per day.  They aren't quite as effective as the proton pump inhibitors but they're close and good enough without the dire consequences.  And they're cheap.

Here are the acid reducers:

I take generic OTC Ranitidine

Acid Reducers for Heartburn
  • Nizatidine (Axid AR)
  • Famotidine (Pepcid AC)
  • Cimetidine (Tagamet HB)
  • Ranitidine (Zantac
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Isn't Nexium OTC now?  

I was on it for awhile.  I went off for awhile.  While I didn't get raging, life ruining heartburn, I did get a lot of reflux and grinding stomach pain.  I became more dependent on either Pepto Bismol or Pepcid Complete.  I had a choking problem, and they ended up doing an endo on me which revealed a constriction that they ballooned open and the surgeon suggested I get back and remain on a PPI.  I take a generic now, pantaprazole, so it's not terribly expensive.  It's not quite as good as the Nexium was, but it mostly does the job.  I do occasionally still need a Pepcid Complete.  

Before, when I was off of the PPI, I got to where I was hiding my Pepto and Pepcid Complete because my husband started monitoring (and complaining about) how much I was taking.  And the last time I came home from the doctor from my physical saying all my numbers were good he asked did that mean I could get off some of my medications.  I said no, I'm sure he would say my medications was why my numbers were as good as they were.  Then, I asked him would he prefer to monitor my antacid consumption.  He acts like he's disgusted that I have to take meds.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, I kicked the habit.  My doctor insisted; all you have to do is read the possible long-term side effects.  I started taking 2 acid reducers per day.  They aren't quite as effective as the proton pump inhibitors but they're close and good enough without the dire consequences.  And they're cheap.

Wow good on you. Do you mean like Zantac? I had used that in the past but now it’s not enough. Do you have breakthrough acid? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have been taking it for years. I like the idea of not being dependent on these expensive pharma drugs, however I cannot exist without it and not have raging, life ruining heartburn. Anybody ever have success with quitting? I’ve googled, I find no hope out there. (I’ve been fully worked up by a gastro.) Thanks,

@Grouchomarx   

I had GERD/acid reflux/heartburn for about 5 yrs. It kept getting worse and worse. I have not taken any OTC meds since January. It has been awesome!

Read my OP in the thread (link below). It is very long, but I explain a lot about how I got off the meds. I was taking Prevacid, Zantac and nearly drinking a bottle of Pepto every night toward the end of the insanity!...

HTH Smiley Happy

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/For-those-that-believe-in-low-fat-diets/td-p/5353543

Respected Contributor

Just to be clear, a long time ago I presented with symptoms of acid reflux, which for me, were totally foreign. I was diagnosed, treated and problem solved. Many years later I’m just trying to get off the PPi. So I wanted to reach out if anyone has done the same. I had hope I was ok without them, but not so much. Thanks for your sharing and input.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Just to be clear, a long time ago I presented with symptoms of acid reflux, which for me, were totally foreign. I was diagnosed, treated and problem solved. Many years later I’m just trying to get off the PPi. So I wanted to reach out if anyone has done the same. I had hope I was ok without them, but not so much. Thanks for your sharing and input.

@Icegoddess  After I read your post I recommend you read my post (# 6 in this thread) and watch the video highlighted in red below.

@Grouchomarx   

I also recommend watching a video on youtube by Dr Ken Berry - 'How to FIX Heartburn/GERD Naturally (and cheaply...)'

And if you have time, read the comments under the video Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, I kicked the habit.  My doctor insisted; all you have to do is read the possible long-term side effects.  I started taking 2 acid reducers per day.  They aren't quite as effective as the proton pump inhibitors but they're close and good enough without the dire consequences.  And they're cheap.

Wow good on you. Do you mean like Zantac? I had used that in the past but now it’s not enough. Do you have breakthrough acid? Thanks.

@Grouchomarx.  Yes, generic Zantac.  I do watch my diet and don't eat spicy or greasy foods....except for some occasional green chili.  I gave up coffee mostly because I got tired of it.  Very little chocolate.  I rarely have any break through.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

I also recommend watching a video on youtube by Dr Ken Berry - 'How to FIX Heartburn/GERD Naturally (and cheaply...)'

And if you have time, read the comments under the video Smiley Happy

@Kachina624   I recommend watching this video if you get a chance Smiley Happy