Valued Contributor

Don't forget to avoid any calcium supplements (which are found in many women's vitamins like Women's 1-A-Day) or antacids for about 48 hours before the scan. 

Years ago they were recommending that women have baseline scans prior to going through menopause. But that's no longer a recommendation. Anyhow I had one and my bone density was fine. Fast forward a dozen years and I developed thyroid problems and my endocrinologist ordered one. I'm on the verge of osteoporosis due to the thyroid issues. 

The scan is no big deal. You lie on a table, sometimes with your feet elevated. That's it. Easiest medical test there is. 

Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I guess perserverience pays off. I was finally able to get an order for a baseline bone density scan. I'm 56 and post-menopausal, with osteoporosis in my family. I asked my PCP and she said no way, I had to be 65 or a smoker. I even called around at hospitals who did them offering to self pay. They said no way, only by a doctor's orders. On a lark, I asked our neighbor, who heads up the cardiology clinic at our hospital. She said, "Yes, you need one. I'll put in the order tomorrow." So, I'm going in January. For those who have had a DEXA scan, how did it go? That's one thing I want to keep an eye on. I have a former boss who is almost bedridden from osteoperosis.

65 or a smoker?? Really? I had my first bone scan at age 50 (never smoked). I have no osteoporosis in my family. I can't imagine a doctor refusing a post menopausal woman in getting a base line bone density scan. Change your doctor. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Re: Bone Density Scan

[ Edited ]

@morganjen...I am 63....I have had several bone scans and obviously well before I was 65...never heard you have to be that age before they would order a scan....and I have never smoked!

My 1st scan showed bone loss...so I have been on meds for quite a while....off and on...I hope your scan shows no bone loss.

The scan is very simple....you lay on a table and they scan a couple areas on your body....and you are done!  

edited to add:  My insurance covered all my scans.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had my first DEXA scan at 48. My PCP suggested it due to my mom having had pretty significant osteoporosis and my somewhat early menopause. Insurance covered it with no questions asked. The scan itself is quick and easy. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@morganjen

Had one a few months ago after I fell while ice skating one Sunday. Broke my nose/sprained my right wrist pretty bad, and bruised my left hip bone.

My Nephew-in-law, who is a GP , recommended it would be a good idea since my left hip bone has taken a beating with several of my ice skating falls.

My test came back with a 000.1 from being normal reading density. He said it's pretty good for an "old man"!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I am about to turn 64 and 6 years ago hit my foot with a suitcase I was trying to manuever down the steps of our back porch to take to the car. After a couple weeks of foot pain I felt a snap and went to the podiatrist. I had a 4th metatarsal stress fracture and she ordered a DEXA due to my age and it showed Osterperosis 2.4.

Insurance will only pay for a dexa every two years  and next one two years ago was 2.6.

I refuse to take the prescribed drugs so stepped up my calcium intake, take a quality Andrew Lessman Calcium Intensive Care Supplement and started weight bearing exercises at the gym. Last scan in October shows the ostelporosis impoving and my doctor was amazed.

I do thinki it is important for all to get a scan but waiting until you have it is not the answer. I do not think it is an expensive test either so not sure why the insurance companies bulk at paying for it yet will cover some of the expensive meds with side effects for women who choose to take them.

Esteemed Contributor

Medicare covers mine every year along with treatments.  I am currently at 4.4 and heading south.  Treatments aren't foolproof.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

Medicare covers mine every year along with treatments.  I am currently at 4.4 and heading south.  Treatments aren't foolproof.

I had a rare, severe adverse reaction to  Rx Zometa. That once-yearly IV med, which I had received only a single dose, caused me to develop a strange tumor-like bone growth on my cervical spine. I had to have surgery to remove it and that involved removing my entire set of neck bones and then replaced with fake ones. Cost was astronomical and I ended up paying for 20% of it...enough to set me back for quite some time.

Esteemed Contributor

My PCP ordered one oh I would guess about 6 years ago (early '50s).  At the time it was covered by my insurance. I enjoyed lying down and putting my feet up while it was done.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have had one every other year since age 50, now on Medicare, I wonder if they will pay for my next one in the spring, if they dont I wont worry about it, I have very slow growing osteopenia, have had falls and no broken bones.