Valued Contributor

Does any have Oral Lichen Planus?

It is an autoimmune disease of the mouth I got in 2012 after getting 2 dental implants.  Really, really painful.  I just wonder if anyone else is suffering?

Super Contributor

Re: Does any have Oral Lichen Planus?

yes i have it from eating too many peaches.  it is so painful the first time i had it.  i stil get it now and then if i eat pinapple.  the only help is the swish and spit  medication b/c anything i put on it o0nly makes it worse.  each bout can last 2-3 weeks for me.  hope you are luckier than i am.

Valued Contributor

Wow, thanks for the post...... My husband has it now again.  He had it years ago and finally it went away, but it's back again. He went to two dentists this time and one didn't know what to do so he went to another dentist and he gave him a rx for a liquid prednisone. He isn't getting much help with that and now will try another Dr.  Help have you had any luck with anything?

Valued Contributor

I have flare-ups on occasion.  

Several years ago, my periodontist prescribed 

Clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream, which has provided welcomed relief.

Respected Contributor

OMG! I have never heard of it, and appreciate your sharing it, although I realize how painful it must be. Hopefully, no more flare ups and God Bless!

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Respected Contributor

I don't have lichen planus, but have you researched the condition? Although the exact cause is unknown, it can be triggered by many things including other medical conditions, allergies to medications, and allergies to certain dental materials.

In the case of your dental implants, have you asked your dentist about a reaction to the materials in the implants and if you can be allergy-tested for those materials?  The "cure" would be eliminating the triggers. And if your dentist doesn't know, perhaps you can consult with a holistic dentist.  

Valued Contributor

avoid yeast and sugar , these can furthur cause yeast which is to be avoided , avoid soda ,coffee and such .you shouldtake vitamin c especiallyif you have bleeding in your mouth.  you can rinse your mouth with cold aloe vra gel {the liquid you buy in vitamin store , use carmex [for cold sores]on lesions and baby oragel for teething for some relief from pain of lesions in mouth.If you have a yeast problem in your mouth and gut [intestines] take oral peppermint oil capsules with fennel and ginger ] The peppermint oil kills yeast and the fennel and ginger are healing to your intestines , A home remedy that people swear by is to take 1/8 th of a teaspoon of borax 2 times a day in water, There is no cure for this and treatments are trial and error , What. works for one may not work for another . the peppermint oil, capsules should relieve itching.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

I usually recommend my patients to take lots of Q10 and other immune support supplements during the flare ups. 

But in most cases it is not painful . Especially the white planus. There is another type , planus erythematous ,the red type. It could be painful. 

So feel better, get good sleep and eat well.

Valued Contributor

It is VERY painful....I've had it constantly since 2012.  I have the red and white kind.  They swear up and down it is not related to the implants.  Yes, I've researched it and I would have had the implants out if I was SURE.  It is so hard to eat.  I can't even remember what it is like to dive into Mexican Food !!  

The only thing that works for about 30 min. is a mouth rinse called Magic Mouthwash....It is an Rx.  I've also tried the Dexamethasone mouthwash.   I try and ignore it....but sometimes it is just overwhelming.

I have several other autoimmune diseases so I guess I was just susceptible.

Regular Contributor

Your scaring me becos I'm disabled and have so much wrong with me and just read this and just so happens I go t the dentist tomorrow now I terrified 

yikes.