Trusted Contributor

Bone Density Scan

[ Edited ]

I guess perserverience pays off. I was finally able to get an order for a baseline bone density scan. I'm 56 and post-menopausal, with osteoporosis in my family. I asked my PCP and she said no way, I had to be 65 or a smoker. I even called around at hospitals who did them offering to self pay. They said no way, only by a doctor's orders. On a lark, I asked our neighbor, who heads up the cardiology clinic at our hospital. She said, "Yes, you need one. I'll put in the order tomorrow." So, I'm going in January. For those who have had a DEXA scan, how did it go? That's one thing I want to keep an eye on. I have a former boss who is almost bedridden from osteoperosis.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Just before my 61st birthday, I fell and broke my arm.  Actually, shattered the end of the radius (have implant now).

They sent me for bone density scan because they thought I might have an issue ... but test came back just fine.  Just a freak accident.

It was just an x-ray type thing .. took only a few minutes.  

Honored Contributor

@morganjen  Oh,they are easy.  

Honored Contributor

My sister gets a Scan every two years,  she also takes Prolia because she has osteoporosis.

If you have no symptoms, be prepared to pay for the scan out of your pocket.  This scan is usually not covered by insurance unless you have symptoms. To your advantage,they are not too expensive.

I wish you well and may you have strong bones.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bone Density Scan

[ Edited ]

I took the order from my oncologist for a dexa scan, to have it done, and was told Medicare won’t pay anything on it, and it would be seven hundred dollars . 

I didn’t go through with it. 

Im on a hormone blocker that can exacerbate brittle bones,

so I should get checked. I’m going to see if my oncologist can maybe code the order differently. 😳

Honored Contributor

Re: Bone Density Scan

[ Edited ]

I've had two Dexascans done in the past 15 years. First one was ordered at age 47 as a baseline and also as part of routine thing my rheumy does for her new female patients who fall within a certain age (pre or peri meno) and/or risk category. I was in both. My first scan was low and I was put on medication for OP. I am 63 now and I just had a second scan which came back normal.

Make sure you know the 'prep' before you go get the scan done. This link will inform you about most things involved with a Dexascan:

https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=dexa

eta - I paid out of pocket for both scans. Each one cost about $180 + radiologist's fee. It was cheaper this way than what the copay would have cost me with my insurance plan (not on Medicare) which is something like $500 each scan...rediculousness.

Honored Contributor

Medicare does cover bone scans every two years  if medically necessary and you meet certain conditions.

Medicare  will not cover them as a preventative service. They are usually covered if you take prednisone or steroids also if you are being treated for low estrogen among other things.  Medicare is very particular with the diagnosis they will cover this test for.

Esteemed Contributor

Your PCP and other physicians were correct. You need a reason for the DEXA scan in order for insurance or Medicare to pay. I have several cronic illnesses, including autoimmune diseases, which certainly quality me for the DEXA scans every two years. Quick, simply test. Remember to wear clothing without metal hooks (a pull-over bra is perfect) or zippers. Best wishes for a clean bill of health! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I've had several dexa scans over the years due to having had a hysterectomy at age 43 in 1993.  I've been on the lowest dose of estrogen patch for many years & the last dexa-scan I had a year or so ago, my results were +2, which they said was really good for someone my age (now 68)  I've never had a broken bone, knock wood.

Esteemed Contributor

I am on Medicare and it did cover the scan based on my age.  I have a Medicare Advantage Plan, don't know if that makes a difference.