Esteemed Contributor

I purchased bone broth with the hopes that it would be beneficial to my health.  Unfortunately, I find that it not only tastes terrible, but I cannot stand the smell of it.  Does anyone have suggestions to make it palatable?  I hope that if I can get some suggestions on dealing with the taste that I will be able to overlook the awful smell.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Bone Broth Advice Needed

@SXMGirl I'm sure you'll get some ideas but personally I would just dump it!

I bought something similar years ago, it was awful and it was just too much work to make it tolerable.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl I bought individual packets of chicken bone broth at QVC (Item number:M72517).  I didn't care for it.  I may use it in a gravy and I may give some of it to our Golden.  Or, come to think of it, I may return it.  (No, QVC doesn't ask you to return food items, but they will remove the charge if you really don't like the taste of something.)

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

Could you possibly use it to make soup?

Sorry, as a vegetarian that is all I can come up with.

Good Wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

If you got the pork bones, they really do "stink."  I don't find the same with the beef but I don't particularly care for the smell of the chicken bones when they are cooking but the broth is great.  However, chicken bones will not provide as much broth since they are smaller.  My hematologist uses bones and boils them twice.  He says the second boiling gets more beneficial broth because it is closer to the marrow.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I purchased bone broth with the hopes that it would be beneficial to my health.  Unfortunately, I find that it not only tastes terrible, but I cannot stand the smell of it.  Does anyone have suggestions to make it palatable?  I hope that if I can get some suggestions on dealing with the taste that I will be able to overlook the awful smell.

@SXMGirl 

You put the bone broth in soups, etc.  You don't just eat the broth.  I hope you are not doing that.  I make root soup using bone broth.  That way I have the benefit of meat and lots of veggies.  I use rutabaggas, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, celery, kale, onions, garlic, carrots, any and all kinds of root veggies and use the bone broth as the base for that.  But if you add enough veggies, seasoning such as parsley, onions, etc., you should not be tasting the broth.  It is just to give you those things lacking in your diet or that you are not getting enough of.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just make your own.  It's super easy.  I never buy any type of broth.

If you use beef bones,, roast them in the oven first then transfer them to a pot with water. Add some celery and onions and spices...like a bay leaf..I usually add some tomato juice for flavor as well.

If I make chicken bone broth, it is best to put the bones in a gauge cooking bag or cheese cloth after they are roasted. You can use a carcas from a store bought roasted chicken.  Chicken  bones fall apart and are very small and I hate to strain them and still find bone fragments.  I cook the bones with celery and onions and parsley...sometimes carrots too.

You can control the flavor and salt and make it healthy.  It freezes well in zip lock bags.  You can store them flat in the freezer.  I always make a lot at a time.  It is not  worth the effort of making a small amount.

I usually make mine on the stove top in the morning and cook all day. but if you have a pressure cooker, that takes less time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday  Thanks, I will give this a try.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Nonametoday  Thanks, I will give this a try.

@SXMGirl 

I once had lots of soup/broth recipes as I exchanged with my doctor and it was kind of fun.  Then my computer crashed and I lost them.  But these are some of the ingredients I used.  I hope you will find that useful.  I did not use the kale until toward the end of the cooking, and put it in to make it wilt only and that way it provides more iron.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@SXMGirl I'm sure you'll get some ideas but personally I would just dump it!

I bought something similar years ago, it was awful and it was just too much work to make it tolerable.

My dog wouldn't even eat it.  I dumped it!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!