Honored Contributor

Re: Body Temp Check This Morning

@camelot wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Apparently, normal human body temperature has been going down and 98.6 is no longer 'normal'...

Where did you get this information?

When I saw the OP, I Googled and saw a number of articles indicating 'normal' human temperatures have been edging down for a while. There is also not a single specific point that constitutes 'normal' but the old 'within normal limits' seems to apply.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

98.6 is the AVERAGE body temperature.

Meaning, it is NORMAL for some people to run a little warmer than that, or a little cooler than that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@camelot wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Apparently, normal human body temperature has been going down and 98.6 is no longer 'normal'...

Where did you get this information?

When I saw the OP, I Googled and saw a number of articles indicating 'normal' human temperatures have been edging down for a while. There is also not a single specific point that constitutes 'normal' but the old 'within normal limits' seems to apply.

Must be to counter-act that Global warming Smiley LOL

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Forehead and axillary (armpit) temps run 0.5-1.0 degree F lower than oral.
Rectal and tympanic (ear) run 0.5-1.0 degree F higher than oral.
Studies show average body temp is lower than 100 years ago. Lots of theories. You can google. I recall a good article in Scientifc American.
For me, 98.6 is a slight fever.
Honored Contributor

I have no idea what my norm is.  I assumed it was 98.6. At the Drs the other day, it was 96.8.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl wrote:

I had an appointment with an endocrinologist this morning and this was the first time that I had my temperature checked.  It was 97.4, which is actually high for me.  The nurse told me that the new guidelines are 97.6 for the Covid check, which I had not heard.  I found this interesting because that is lower than the average body temp, and I am wondering why the change.

Wife and I going to the hospital tomorrow for our B-12 shots/blood draws, and Hematologist Doctor for our 6 month health checkup. Nurses check your temp before you can get into the hospital. @SXMGirl  will ask what their numbers are now. Why the change, if there is one?

ETA: We usually get our temps told to us in Celsius. Think 37 is like the 98.6, I think! Anyways, they convert it if we ask.

ETA #2:  My wife just informed me they are no longer taking temps entering the hospital. They are however keeping only 1 entrance and handing out masks. Our nurse in hematology will more than likely take our temps.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb 

I also noticed that difference when I went to the dentist and was surprised.  The temp was 97.6 and I thought it was low as I always used 98.6 and "normal."

I wonder what the thinking was to drop the standard to a "new normal."

Honored Contributor

I have ALWAYS had my temp checked when I have a doctors appointment. So when I go back to my regular appointments it won't be any different for me. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My Dad could be running a raging deadly infection and show no fever at all.  I had to constantly argue with the nurses when he was sick to get him to a hospital.  I run cold.... normal for me is 95 - 97.  Interesting.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@stevieb 

I also noticed that difference when I went to the dentist and was surprised.  The temp was 97.6 and I thought it was low as I always used 98.6 and "normal."

I wonder what the thinking was to drop the standard to a "new normal."

@pdlinda  I can only guess that statistically more and more adults were being measured with lower temperatures, so that the 'new normal' (and I've really come to hate that term...) is a lowering of temperatures considered considered in the appropriate range for adults.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...