Valued Contributor

We had a doctor recommend Benadryl for vertigo. He said that allergy could disrupt the amount of fluid in the inner ear. The vertigo resolved by the end of the day - maybe the Benadryl worked, maybe it was a coincidence. I also took Zofran for the nausea and it worked, too. I always keep zofran on hand as nausea is my nemesis.

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I have struggled with vertigo for years.  I haven't laid totally flat to sleep in years and years.  I sleep with 2 pillows and prop them up some.

I had an ultrasound the other day and they had to prop the head of the table up some and they gave me 2 pillows and I still balled up a sweater and put it under my head to raise it higher. 

Same here. Mine started over forty years ago shortly after a car accident where I hit my face on the dashboard. The first vertigo attack was so severe that it was several days before I could walk to the car for the drive to the ER.

I sleep on one of those wedge pilliows with two regular pillows arranged on top of it. I've done this for fifteen years after a visit to the doctor triggered a multi day spinning and nausea-inducing episode. I had allowed myself to lay flat on the exam table without my head being elevated! 

Now, I even have it in my notes at the dentist, and I remind them at every visit not to recline the chair all the way back.

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

I had an attack of vertigo about 7 years ago and I couldn't even get to the chair to sit down.  Went to the ER and was admitted.  Was then seen by an Ear, Nose and Throat doc ad he put some kind of drops in my ears that were really meant to be put in eyes.  He said do not pay attention to the directions, he wanted them in my ears.

Well I had to take meclazine for a short while and something for nausea, but cross my fingers the vertigo has never returned.  I do at times feel like it is going to as @Icegoddess said when I change position in bed, but the vertigo has not actually returned.

I do get an RX from the PCP for 10 Meclazine pills and she renews it every year for me.  I have never had to use it again but I want it by my bed just in case as I remember how miserable the vertigo was and it scares me.

@Icegoddess   When you mentioned the weird feeling you got like being drugged, that really struck a cord with me.  When I am reading and fall asleep in my chair I wake up suddenly and have that feeling you described every time.  I don't know what that is all about, but it passes after I stand up and move for while.  I wake up feeling something is wrong with me.  Strange things sure do happen to us humans!

I  use Meclazine., my verdigo lasts about a week. I do the Epley manuver every day to keep it away.doesn't take that long. Go to Med MD , put in vertigo and they will tell you how it's done.I've had it off and on for 13 years. Not fun

@HLP  I never knew to do the Epley maneuver daily....I thought only when I had a episode/attack going on which for me never works!  I just can't seem to make myself do it while I am spinning and vomiting.  

So you basically do this as a preventative when your not having any issues...thanks for the tip!

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

I had an attack of vertigo about 7 years ago and I couldn't even get to the chair to sit down.  Went to the ER and was admitted.  Was then seen by an Ear, Nose and Throat doc ad he put some kind of drops in my ears that were really meant to be put in eyes.  He said do not pay attention to the directions, he wanted them in my ears.

Well I had to take meclazine for a short while and something for nausea, but cross my fingers the vertigo has never returned.  I do at times feel like it is going to as @Icegoddess said when I change position in bed, but the vertigo has not actually returned.

I do get an RX from the PCP for 10 Meclazine pills and she renews it every year for me.  I have never had to use it again but I want it by my bed just in case as I remember how miserable the vertigo was and it scares me.

@Icegoddess   When you mentioned the weird feeling you got like being drugged, that really struck a cord with me.  When I am reading and fall asleep in my chair I wake up suddenly and have that feeling you described every time.  I don't know what that is all about, but it passes after I stand up and move for while.  I wake up feeling something is wrong with me.  Strange things sure do happen to us humans!

I  use Meclazine., my verdigo lasts about a week. I do the Epley manuver every day to keep it away.doesn't take that long. Go to Med MD , put in vertigo and they will tell you how it's done.I've had it off and on for 13 years. Not fun

@HLP  I never knew to do the Epley maneuver daily....I thought only when I had a episode/attack going on which for me never works!  I just can't seem to make myself do it while I am spinning and vomiting.  

So you basically do this as a preventative when your not having any issues...thanks for the tip!

@tsavorite I wouldn't do it as a preventative.  HPPV is caused by "crystals" in your ear that have gotten into the fluid filled area of the ear.  The purpose of the maneuver is to reposition the crystal to an area where it no longer causes a problem.  What if you did that maneuver when you weren't having a problem and repositioned it back into the fluid filled canal?  If I remember correctly, you are supposed to try to keep your head in a mostly upright position for like 24-48 hours after successfully performing the maneuver.  That rules out my beauty routine of flipping my head upside down to scrunch gel in my hair and also finishing my hair for a day or two.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I have struggled with vertigo for years.  I haven't laid totally flat to sleep in years and years.  I sleep with 2 pillows and prop them up some.

I had an ultrasound the other day and they had to prop the head of the table up some and they gave me 2 pillows and I still balled up a sweater and put it under my head to raise it higher. 

Same here. Mine started over forty years ago shortly after a car accident where I hit my face on the dashboard. The first vertigo attack was so severe that it was several days before I could walk to the car for the drive to the ER.

I sleep on one of those wedge pilliows with two regular pillows arranged on top of it. I've done this for fifteen years after a visit to the doctor triggered a multi day spinning and nausea-inducing episode. I had allowed myself to lay flat on the exam table without my head being elevated! 

Now, I even have it in my notes at the dentist, and I remind them at every visit not to recline the chair all the way back.

@DearPrudence Oh gosh!  My dentist "hangs me from my toes" as he terms it whenever I'm having work done.  It's way past flat.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite From HopkinsMedicine.org aka John Hopkins:

What happens after the home Epley maneuver?

Most people say their symptoms go away right after they do the maneuver. In some cases, it may take a few times for the procedure to work. Some people may have mild symptoms for a couple of weeks. Once your symptoms go away, there is no need to keep doing the maneuver.

Your healthcare provider may suggest avoiding certain positions for a while after your symptoms have gone away. For instance, you may need to sleep propped up on 2 pillows, to keep your neck from extending straight.

If you still have symptoms after doing the home Epley maneuver, call your healthcare provider. You may not be doing the maneuver the right way. Or you may have another problem that’s causing your symptoms of vertigo. The home Epley maneuver only works to treat vertigo from BPPV. But many other conditions can cause vertigo.

You should be able to be active after doing the home Epley maneuver. Make sure your vertigo has really gone away before doing anything dangerous, such as driving.

With the help of the home Epley maneuver, your vertigo may go away for weeks or even years. BPPV often comes back, though. This might happen if another calcium crystal ends up in your semicircular canals. If your vertigo comes back, do home Epley maneuver again to see if your symptoms go away. If the maneuver doesn’t work, call your healthcare provider.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@tsavorite From HopkinsMedicine.org aka John Hopkins:

What happens after the home Epley maneuver?

Most people say their symptoms go away right after they do the maneuver. In some cases, it may take a few times for the procedure to work. Some people may have mild symptoms for a couple of weeks. Once your symptoms go away, there is no need to keep doing the maneuver.

Your healthcare provider may suggest avoiding certain positions for a while after your symptoms have gone away. For instance, you may need to sleep propped up on 2 pillows, to keep your neck from extending straight.

If you still have symptoms after doing the home Epley maneuver, call your healthcare provider. You may not be doing the maneuver the right way. Or you may have another problem that’s causing your symptoms of vertigo. The home Epley maneuver only works to treat vertigo from BPPV. But many other conditions can cause vertigo.

You should be able to be active after doing the home Epley maneuver. Make sure your vertigo has really gone away before doing anything dangerous, such as driving.

With the help of the home Epley maneuver, your vertigo may go away for weeks or even years. BPPV often comes back, though. This might happen if another calcium crystal ends up in your semicircular canals. If your vertigo comes back, do home Epley maneuver again to see if your symptoms go away. If the maneuver doesn’t work, call your healthcare provider.

@Icegoddess  Thanks for posting this information.....I won't be doing it daily LOL!  I just wish I could do it when I have a episode of vertigo...usually just take my medication and wait for some relief.

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@DearPrudence wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@DearPrudence Oh gosh!  My dentist "hangs me from my toes" as he terms it whenever I'm having work done.  It's way past flat.

Yes, it's challenging. I have to have a filling replaced in an upper molar tomorrow so I'm thinking about taking a Dramamine first because I know he's going to try to tilt me back.

Honored Contributor

Re: BPPV (Vertigo)

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I hope you get some relief.

Another vertigo sufferer here. I've had everything from debilitating episodes that lasted days to mild episodes that only last a few minutes. Mine flares up in allergy season when I have a sinus headache and when I'm tired and/or dehydrated. I take Meclizine and lay down when it's really bad. Benadryl and fluids can also help me. I haven't had too many episodes of it recently, thank goodness. 

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess I woke up this am with dizziness and took 2 dramamine - the box has an N designation for Nausea although new packaging (in the green box) is the same.  An hour later I'm good as new.  No dizziness, was able to feed the animals, drink my smoothie and get online.