Honored Contributor

The official name is Benign Paroxysmal Postional Vertigo and I have dealing with it off and on for years.  Usually It'll attack when I turn over in bed at night.  And usually, as long as I avoid the positions that bring it on, I'm okay.  This morning I suddenly woke up and it was if I had interrupted REM sleep.  I opened my eyes and things were moving and I had to close them.  I put my hands over my eyes and I could feel them rapidly darting back and forth for several seconds.  Even after it stopped, I felt really weird and had to just lay there for several minutes before I could get up. I had not changed position to bring on this attack that I know of.

After I got up, went to the bathroom, and fed the cats, I laid back down and turned over on my side.  Nope.  That wasn't happening.  I turned back on my back but just couldn't get comfortable, so I had to get up and sit in my easy chair with my eyes closed for a couple of hours before the weird and nauseous feelings went away.  It was as if I had been drugged.  

That's the worst episode I have ever had of it.  I'm still having problems with it sitting here just trying to type and watch TV.  I really hope to be able to lay down and sleep tonight and be able to get up for church in the morning.  I did at least warn the music leader I might not be there so she could make a backup plan rather than waiting until tomorrow morning to tell her I wouldn't be there.  

Trusted Contributor

I emphathize with you. I've dealt with BPPV off and on for the past 30 years. The Epley Manuever works sometimes when the BPPV is bad, but not always. Sounds like you've got a pretty bad case right now. I've had to drive cross country by myself with it, no fun.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

There are some ENT physicians who specialize in vertigo. They are trained in the Epley maneuver and can reposition the ear crystals back in position. I hope you feel better soon. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   My sympathy, one of the most miserable condition I've experienced although, thankfully, briefly.  I hope it passes soon. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I had an attack of vertigo about 7 years ago and I couldn't even get to the chair to sit down.  Went to the ER and was admitted.  Was then seen by an Ear, Nose and Throat doc ad he put some kind of drops in my ears that were really meant to be put in eyes.  He said do not pay attention to the directions, he wanted them in my ears.

Well I had to take meclazine for a short while and something for nausea, but cross my fingers the vertigo has never returned.  I do at times feel like it is going to as @Icegoddess said when I change position in bed, but the vertigo has not actually returned.

I do get an RX from the PCP for 10 Meclazine pills and she renews it every year for me.  I have never had to use it again but I want it by my bed just in case as I remember how miserable the vertigo was and it scares me.

@Icegoddess   When you mentioned the weird feeling you got like being drugged, that really struck a cord with me.  When I am reading and fall asleep in my chair I wake up suddenly and have that feeling you described every time.  I don't know what that is all about, but it passes after I stand up and move for while.  I wake up feeling something is wrong with me.  Strange things sure do happen to us humans!

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

There are some ENT physicians who specialize in vertigo. They are trained in the Epley maneuver and can reposition the ear crystals back in position. I hope you feel better soon. 

@Effie54 yeah, I have attemped it on myself in the past with varying degrees of effectiveness.  MY ENT gave me some instructions for it.  He also has a separate practice for balance disorders in the same building.  I'm guessing that would be where he would send me if I needed it.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: BPPV (Vertigo)

[ Edited ]

I had it many years ago for 5 straight months 24hrs a day.  Worst time of my life.  I took the medications but they didn’t help.  My doctor sent me to physical therapy for something called Vestibular Therapy.  Within 3 weeks it was gone.  Not all PT facilities offer it, you have to look around.  Some hospitals offer it.

Contributor

I use Meclazine as well. When I start having the dizziness, I use the medication for a couple of weeks until it goes away. Sometimes it's so bad that I can't stand up, and I have vomitting. I've learned to be careful of my movements....sit up slowly, roll over carefully, bend over slowly, etc. i sometimes have dizziness when windshield wipers are going too fast. Have dealt with this for years. Have only missed one day of work. Most days are ok. 

Honored Contributor

I've had a few episodes of vertigo, some worse than others, and my problem stems from dehydration. Last time it happened I ended up in the hospital and that's when I found out it was from dehydration. Now I'm very careful about staying hydrated which I didn't do before.

Honored Contributor

I will join in to say I also experienced vertigo, once bad and the other tiimes mild.  When I movre my head in bed the dizziness starts at times but I just slowly lift it and slowly lay my head down and it goes away.  I was told by a doctor the vertigo results from movement of crystals in the head.  Fortunately after the one difficult time, the vertigo hasn't been bad.  But it is a horrible feeling, like being sea sick.

My sister has vertigo also, in fact she had it before I did.  When it hits her she has it for days.  When we were growing up we had motion sickness especially in the car and on certain rides, I think it is related to the vertigo we have now.