Esteemed Contributor

Anyone try Nutrisystem and does it work for long?

Thinking about the Vegan version.  But if they have to flavor it with heavy spices I will be in real trouble.  Listened and admired Marie for her wonderful size  but she is afterall selling it.  And I could not help noticing her total appearance.... I guess I don't trust when I see lots of obvious plastic surgery and I wonder if perhaps her body was not part of the total plan using surgery instead of diet. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone try Nutrisystem and does it work for long?

@bonnieluI've never met a diet that didn't work to help me lose weight!  The problem for my yo-yo life was that once the weight was gone, I did not stick to an enting plan that kept that weight off  --  and that's been true for evetything from a doctor's supervision of his plam, with WW several times, with my own diet, and, yes, I lost pounds when I tried the Nutrisystem.

That was maybe 8 or 9 years ago, so I would assume some things have changed as they do with many eating plans.  When I used it, I did like some of the foods better than others.  I think I'll always like my own breakfasts better than anyone else's and when I'm in mental control of what I'm eating, I usuallyy prefer a good piece of fruit for dessert so I didn't love the Nutrisystem desserts.  Same with their snacks -  I liked my own choices better.   I did use the food they sent and I did lose some pounds.  I don't remember how long they stayed off but most likely as long as I continued to limit my calorie load!

I'm hoping my yo-yo days are finally over.  Three years ago with a doctor's strong suggestion, I modified my diet to a my own version of WW (never liked their "new" points system) and I've maintained the 55+pounds off for as long as I ever have.  I feel better, move better, and look better.  

Whatever system works to get the pounds off still requires our own commitment to keep them off.  I believe there is no one magic plan - just what works for each of us.  I hope someone who has tried the Nutrisystem approach more recently than I have can be more food specific.  It csn get you started!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu  3 women where I worked tried it at the same time.   One stuck with it and lost 40 lbs and has been able to keep it off eating regularly and only going back on Nutrisystem every so often for a few weeks.  Another didn't like the food selections so quit because it was too costly choosing only the food she liked plus the extra add ons you have to buy at the grocery store to supplement the food.  The 3rd one thought it was too time consuming because you had to supplement the food with extras like salads and stuff.  They all thought that it should have been mentioned on commercials that you still have to buy and prepare some foods on top of what they send you. 

Often after loosing weight you body does not go back to the way it used to be so some tweeking might be wanted through surgery.

Honored Contributor

I tried it years ago-- food was nasty---threw it out and got my $$ back

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

A wise person coined this phrase decades ago. One can apply it to anything they wish to change in their daily lives, including losing and maintaining a desired long term result.

"Losing/quitting/changing is the easy part, maintaining  or sticking with it is where the real work begins. I know because I  have done it hundreds of times".

Every 4-5 decade adult has probably experienced this with something during their life. I have with many things in my life, and have continued the "hard work daily" ever since. Nothing works if a person doesn't try.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My daughter purchased it many years ago she couldn’t 

eat it, I took it, not wanting to throw out $. It was so

salty as to be inedible. I threw it out.

Honored Contributor

I was just discussing this with someone yesterday, who is on the verge of losing too much weight, says she does not know how to maintain, only knows how to eat and gain or not eat and lose. Maintaining lost weight is the hardest. 

Honored Contributor

If you want packaged meals, @bonnielu, you’d save a boatload of money by devising your own plan with grocery store frozen meals like Lean Cuisine, etc.  

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Thinking about the Vegan version.  But if they have to flavor it with heavy spices I will be in real trouble.  Listened and admired Marie for her wonderful size  but she is afterall selling it.  And I could not help noticing her total appearance.... I guess I don't trust when I see lots of obvious plastic surgery and I wonder if perhaps her body was not part of the total plan using surgery instead of diet. 

I have a co-worker who tried it, didn't stick to it, and didn't lose anything.  I know some things she didn't care for, but sounded like she was ok with the food for the most part.  However, she also tried WW, as well as going regularly to a doctor who supplied foods or drinks (not exactly sure how it worked), and didn't lose either.  

I like WW because you have a support group, but if I ever needed it again, I would modify the plan as someone else suggested.  At the time I did it, I followed the point system.  Now I know more about nutrition so would factor that in.   

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu In reply to the question in your heading (Anyone Try NutriSystem and Does it Work for Long?).....yes and yes. Heart

Try it! Smiley Happy