Valued Contributor

Support stocking sor swollen feet and ankles, please share what you where and where to find them.

I can no longer get my thong flip flops on.  Last summer my doc suggested I wear light compression socks or stockings for my swollen feet and ankles. I have inherited wider ankles and calves (can't wear skinny jeand!) and it is a problem finding a stocking or sock that is not too tight. I am wearing occasionally a trouser sock now with a lot of spandex. (Doc tried rx lasix and I had hair loss thinning as a result of it combined with a cortisone shot for my shoulder.  I really don't want to try meds again if I can help it.) No I don't have any heart issues to date. I never add salt and try to avoid it when ordering out.  My doc is on maternity leave currently.

I can't find what I need locally.  I need a source to find the socks and I think a stirup sock would be cooler.  Also, has anyone tried those new stirrup socks (black and white and colors) that are toe less and just go up a few inches above the ankle.  I am wondering if that would work.

Please share your experiences and socks with me, and where you found them. 

Do you take a diuretic and is it non heart related?  Someone told me I could get one which doesn't affect the heart.   I have an appt. with doc next month.

Thanks for your input.

Respected Contributor

Re: Support stocking sor swollen feet and ankles, please share what you where and where to find them

Check Amazon for socks. But DONOT TAKE ANY direutic without your MD's order.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Support stocking sor swollen feet and ankles, please share what you where and where to find them

Check with your physician if your feet and ankles are that swollen. You are retaining fluids. He/she needs to know about it and find out why. You may need to be placed on a diuretic. He/she will probably suggest you to drink more water, but ask how much for your weight, heart health, etc. It's very important to check with your PCP immediately. Best wishes on eliminating that swelling. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I have swollen feet in the warm months .... as did my mother ... and my grandmother.  No problem once weather cools.   

Asked my doctor about it years ago ... she said don't worry about it. Same thing my mother's doctor told her years ago.  There's nothing wrong with me. I just wear knee-hi panty hose or trouser socks.  

Doc said support hose not necessary - but go ahead if I wanted them.  

She's one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doctors.

Respected Contributor

I have several pairs of the knee high compression socks from Legacy that I bought at the Q.  They aren't light, but I heard they now have a "lighter" version.  I wear them when I have a plane ride of 4 hours of less.  Anything more than 4 hours I have a panty hose style that I got at a pharmacy.

Regular Contributor

I don't have a problem with swelling but do have "athletic" calves and ankles also.  I find the Tommy Copper knee high socks give just enough light compression to help my sometimes "tired" legs and ankles.  Might have gotten them at Walgreens.  

Trusted Contributor

Try Compressionsale.com.  They have a great assortment of brands. Thats where I buy mine.

Regular Contributor

@CaChica 

I have gotten several pairs of compression hose from the Ames Walker internet site.

They have several styles/colors of hose and different compression levels. I have thick calves and they fit me fine.

Hope this helps!

Dragonfly

Honored Contributor

@CaChica 

My favorite are by Jobst available at Amazon and Kroger.

I like the ribbed style, it is soft but uplifting!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@CaChica 

I wear light compression socks from Copper Fit. Have both the over the calf and the shorter over the ankle. I do not have swelling even though I have had 2 heart attacks(1 with Congestive Heart Failure-CHF). Wear them because I  like them, and maybe a shcoosh because of my 2 episodes with Lung Blood Clots(PE).

Only swelling I have had was being on an IV in the hospital for 1-2-3-4 weeks at a time. They put Lasix in my IV on occasion to help with the swelling. Once the IV was removed, in a few days I could again  fit into my workout shoes.

Suggest you get what your doctor thinks you need when it comes to level of compression. When in the hospital I wore high compression TED Hose, and they are a bear to put on. Don't do this without knowing how much compression your doctor would prescribe.

hckynut

hckynut(john)