Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone try Nutrisystem and does it work for long?

My youngest son's girlfriend has been on it for about 6 or 7 weeks now. Last time I asked her, which was about a week ago, she was down almost 30 lbs. She has about 10 more to go. She doesn't love the food and she's growing weary of it but she's sticking with it because she does love the results. She had some serious foot surgery a few months back and still having problems making it impossible to exercise yet so the loss is all due to the dieting. 

Valued Contributor

The worst food  I ever tasted.I would rather be over weight then eat that garbage.

Esteemed Contributor

A co-worker lost weight w/ Nutrisystem and maintained the weight loss by continuing to eating it.  She would take weekends off and eat regular foods.

Super Contributor

ALL diets and weight maintenance programs work -- if you follow them.

I know that sounds pat and it isn't; I've struggled with weight and diets all of my life.

I've just lost 20 lbs in 3 months by measuring EVERYTHING that I eat and keeping a food journal. When I reach my caloric input maximum for the day; I'm done eating. I eat small amounts about five times per day so I am never hungry. I space them out based on what I've learned about myself so that hunger is never an issue. I AM careful to get enough daily protein, veggies, and roughage. (example: I have one cup of Granola cereal and half a cup of 2% milk for breakfast).

It isn't a weight program per se - it's just knowing how many calories I eat and stopping when I've met my caloric goal for the day.

I still have about 50 pounds to go, and I will get there. And when I reach my goal I won't be ending a specific diet plan so I'll be prepared to eat for maintenance. 

I have a slim husband who doesn't need to diet so I did not want to have to cook/shop for me AND for him. The way I'm doing this doesn't cost a penny extra at the grocery store.

The best part? I've stopped buying so many clothes on QVC since I know they won't fit me in two months, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu 

Hi bonnielu,

Yes, I had great success with Nutrisystem.  I purchased the  whole magilla: meals, snacks, etc., and I purchased only those meals that I knew I would like.

Over a period of 14 months, I lost 50 lbs. and I had physical restrictions regarding my ability to exercise, so was hampered by that.

Before I started, I decided to keep a daily diary of what I ate and drank, logging times down in a simply notebook I purchased at the drug store.  I figured this would keep me honest.

And, yes, I did allow myself either a day or half a day off the new food plan (I like that terminology versus "diet") once a week, but then went straight back on it.

You'll hear and read negative reviews regarding the food.  Yes, it's not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination.  I went into the experience a scratch cook with a very good reputation. yet I was able to put that aside and look at Nutrisystem for what it was:  decent food offerings at the appropriate caloric and serving portions I needed, as well as snacks, with additional information regarding the necessary salads, fruits, etc., to make this a nutritional success for everyone.

Good luck, whatever your decision may be.  XXX

Super Contributor

I've lost 26 pounds since the January TSV. NutriSystem has taught me so much about what to eat and how much. For instance, because of NutriSystem I've discovered that I love black beans and they are a new staple in my diet. If you google black beans, I think you will find that they are excellent for nutrition and weight control. I see my time with NutriSystem as a nutritional adventure. I'm finding it informative and fun and it's teaching me a way of eating that I can maintain for the rest of my life.

I've paired NutriSystem with MyFitnessPal and I think that's another key to my success on the plan... Because of MyFitnessPal, I know exactly how much salt and potassium I'm taking in. I also know whether I'm geting enough protein and fiber. All in all, I'm a very happy camper on NutriSystem.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Thinking about the Vegan version.  But if they have to flavor it with heavy spices I will be in real trouble.  Listened and admired Marie for her wonderful size  but she is afterall selling it.  And I could not help noticing her total appearance.... I guess I don't trust when I see lots of obvious plastic surgery and I wonder if perhaps her body was not part of the total plan using surgery instead of diet. 

@bonnielu 

It’s vegetarian, not vegan.

There will be dairy, eggs & honey...probably lots of cheese, whey & powdered eggs. 

What is your ‘why’ for making this purchase?

Esteemed Contributor

Everybody THANKS so much.  I think after looking at the PLAN I SEE SMALLER PORTION SIZES. I am on the right track but I fill my plate... got to get a smaller plate or a bigger brain.  My main problem:  I am a dessert addict.  I see it and it is all mine... I don't even know I am doing it.  Got to get with the mental program and make it work.

I am active.  I am a ballroom and and a square dancer.  I don't sit still.  I just find ways to spoil my good intentions.  

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu   I tried it years ago, not very succesfull for me. I lost about 8 pounds, the rep I was working with thought I should have lost about 20 pounds during that time frame. I was exwecising twice as much as I was use to you and the weight just was not coming off. Plus most of the food items tasting absolutley terrible at that time. Maybe they have improved. But I prefer fresh foods, not packaged.

Valued Contributor

Tried it. Didn't work. They weren't good enough to satisfy.