Valued Contributor

Anyone have experience using probiotics for IBS?

I've been checking them out on Amazon and want to try Digestive Advantage. 

I don't have heartburn issues, just bathroom problems. I've had it for years. 

I'm home all the time but hate taking the chance to go out. I'm 76. Any help would be

appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience using probiotics for IBS?

My gastro guy recommended Florastor for me a couple of years ago when I was having bathroom issues to the point of being afraid to leave the house. It's not cheap, but it did seem to work.  Nowadays, what works best for me is Metamucil.  Seems like it has enough fiber to not only help things to move, but also to bulk things up.  Not sure how that works, but it sure works for me!  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

I have IBS.  Please talk to your gastroenterologist before taking any probiotics.  I have heard they have to be tailored to your specific needs.  So be careful!!!  Everyone is different.  What helps for one doesn't always help for others.  Your physician is the one to talk to.  If you don't trust your current doc. please find another one.

Valued Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

I'm home all the time but hate taking the chance to go out. I'm 76. Any help would be

appreciated.

@frenchie - I take probiotics for IBSD......Activia yogurt. I also have the probiotic pills, but haven't needed any, since I started eating the Activia yogurt. I had a bad case of IBSD several months ago, but no longer suffer from it, now.  I also have anti-diarrhea pills - but haven't needed those, either. Please check with your doctor, but it wouldn't hurt to have that yogurt on hand. BTW - we are in the same age range.

Esteemed Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

appreciated.

Probiotics are not nessary,it has been documented they interfear with normal stuff!   I messed up with trying these things ,exactly the one you mention ......and others 

Try a little prune juice everyday.it works wonders..........  Smiley Happy

(btw,i am 80 )

Valued Contributor

I tried yogurt once, hate it. Fiber bothers me so something like Metamucil isn't good either. If rather take a pill and try that. It's true that some things don't work the same in everybody. Thinking back, I think my mother had IBS but wasn't well known then. Her doctor told her it was all in her head. I'm not a fan of doctors either.

Honored Contributor

@frenchie

Digestive Advantage contains gluten!!

Reviews in Amazon called my attention to this issue.

DH takes it, but his digestive system is not sensitive like mine.

Florastor works best for me. It needs time to build up, so I notice positive effects after about a month. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I have not .

Honored Contributor

Please discuss any probiotics with your **doctor** before taking them, especially with something like IBS.

IMO this is not the place for medical advice.

Honored Contributor

If you have diarrhea, you do not want to take prunes!!I know how you feel ,i have that problem also ,probiotics did not help me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.