Respected Contributor

I want to lose about 20 pounds and am interested in knowing what you follow (or followed) to drop the pounds. I would like a quick start to get about 10 pounds off fast. Thanks in advance.

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone Following a Diet?

I just started making a green smoothie for breakfast for about a week now and have noticed I'm less bloated and I lost two pounds. I would suggest the Green Smoothie Diet.

I used to eat greek yogurt and now am staying away from dairy and red meat(even though I rarely ate it)

Honored Contributor

Always and forever, it's my 2nd job, always has been. LOL

Respected Contributor

Cut the carbs. Having a sandwich? Just eat half the bread. Skip or greatly limit rice, potatoes, pasta. Replace with protein, vegetables, fruit. Try to eat less, but never let yourself get hungry. I lost 30 lbs this way and it stays off, 2 yrs. now.

I believe the faster they come off, the faster they go back on. Don't shock your body, go slow and easy.

Honored Contributor

I do Primal Blueprint. They have a 21 Day Challenge that might give you the boost you are looking for.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Anyone Following a Diet?

I have been following a "food program" for many decades now. I do not use the word "diet" unless quoting someone as for too many that word "means weigh loss), and that is not the my definition of the word. Thus it is easier for me to use "eating program". With my program I had times when I wanted to gain up to 30lbs and times when I wanted to be my lightest weight. This depended pretty much on what athletic events I was planning to participate.

Been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since the mid 1970's, and that did make it easier for me because of the lack of too much fat consumption, but it was only a small part of the solution for losing or gaining weight.

While eating was a factor, the biggest factor was exercising and how I chose to go about it. Sure, when I wanted to lose weight I went to a much less caloric dense food program along with different types of food. Gaining weight I changed my exercise program to make sure I was adding more muscle and that was by using more resistance, be it using free weights or any of my several machines.

Quick starts usually indicate mostly "water loss" and mean very little. Fat tissue can only be lost a given rate regardless of what some like people to believe. If you want to see scale numbers go down quickly going on "liquids only" will certainly accomplish that for you. If that is what you need to jump start a program, just make sure you don't skimp on the vitamins or minerals in the liquids you drink.

About all I have to say and I wish you well.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I lost 65 pounds. I'm just 5" and age 60. Your amounts may be different. Here is what I followed on a daily basis.

1350-1450 calories

135-150g good carbs (eat most of them before 4pm)

150-200g protein (Premier Protein chocolate shakes are the best! Sold at Sams and Costco).

43-47g good fats - I would not lose weight if I went lower than this.'

20g or more fiber

Breakfast -- egg whites, 1 piece of turkey sausage, greek yogurt

Mid-morning -- fruit and almonds or a healthy granola bar

Lunch -- Whatever fit into my diet plan. It was usually a protein sandwich with veggies or a salad made with sunflower seeds, protein, spinach, romaine, veggies, and a lite dressing. I always had cottage cheese or another high protein item with lunch. Be sure to add something with good carbs, perhaps a whole grain slice of bread or beans if you don't have a sandwich.

Mid-afternoon -- something with fiber and protein....almonds, granola bar, whatever I felt like. Or buy the frozen muffin tops in the healthy/frozen section at your store.

Dinner -- low carb. My goal was to eat 80-90% of my daily carbs by mid afternoon. I often had very lean beef, salmon, halibut, tuna, or something very high protein along with steamed veggies, side salad, etc.

Later -- something very low calorie and low fat. I went through a phase of frozen greek yogurt but there are lots of options.

Super Contributor

I track all my food and water intake on SparkPeople- it's free and loaded with useful information. I hope to start tracking my walking steps again in early May when my fractured foot is healed up.

Trusted Contributor

I don't follow any particular diet. I eat balanced healthy meals. In addition, I don't even count calories. Anyone who tells you to remove or limit your carbs, you need to ignore them same thing with fat. You can lose weight and maintain what you have lost eating healthy carbs i.e. pasta, brown rice, whole grains, quinoa, whole grain waffle, sweet potatoes, fruit and healthy veggies (but limit corn and other starchy veggies) along with eating very lean beef, lean pork such as tenderloin, chicken, fish, turkey etc. You should also include healthy fats daily such as: olive oil, avocado, nuts and others.

I eat balanced meals all the time:

Breakfast: green smoothie that contains 1 tablespoon protein powder, 1/4 banana, 1/2 half apple, spinach or baby romain, ground flax seed, 1 tea avocado oil mix with water and crushed ice and blend it in my Nutribullet. I also have a half portion of oatmeal with it. I put a little pure maple syrup and cinnamon in my oatmeal.

Lunch is always: a protein, carb, veggie & some fat such as: turkey burger with tomato & onion, broccoli, brown rice and a little Smart Balance butter

Snack: fresh mozzarella with some tomato

Dinner: Protein, complex carb, veggie, healthy fat again such as: Roasted chicken with lemon & garlic, Quinoa mixed with roasted veggies (I make all of this myself) salad with home made dressing. Once a week I have Angel Hair pasta with turkey meatballs and sauce (all of which I make myself - except the pasta) sprinkled with parmesan cheese.I also make my own flat bread pizza using fresh mozzarella and other great things.

After dinner: Maybe twice a week I will sneak in a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich but the rest of the time I will have a piece of fruit

I do everything possible to stay away from processed foods and all the unhealthy sugars including the artificial sweeteners.

I exercise: I do Pilates on the Reformer 4 times a week, do cardio on the treadmill or elliptical 3- 4 times a week for 30 minutes and also do a little weight lifting.

I am in my early 50's and have maintained the same weight that I was when I was in my 20's which is a size 6 or 8 (depending on the brand). I have no health issues except for some allergies and I'm not on any medications. Most of my friends who are my age and never ate healthy or exercised have all kinds of Health related problems include Type 2 diabetes, kidney issues, etc.

On holidays, birthdays, weddings etc I enjoy myself but I do it in moderation.

I personally, don't believe in Weight Watchers and all of those other diets. If you educate yourself and live a healthy lifestyle you will lose weight and maintain it.

Honored Contributor

I eliminated all grain , dairy, sugar and salt two years ago. I have lost 85 pounds and my doctors and I are really REALLY happy. Because each of us is uinique, we must all do the homework to determine what things keep us fat and what we need to eat more of to lose. Danielle, if I ate as you eat, I'd quickly gain back everything I've lost, so anyone who chooses to do so can ignore me but what I do works for me, and I'm very happy doing it.