Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Take Celebrex?

I take Celebrex been taking it for a few years now. It is the only thing that helps with my legs. I have no problems taking it so far.It is so far for me the best pill.

Valued Contributor

I took Celebrex for a couple of years. At one point I ended up at our University Hospital. It's a research hospital, etc. and the Dr that I had there said not to take it. He said that it is not a safe medicine to take, and he doesn't prescribe it. He also taught at the medical school for many years. I felt much better after going off of it, even though it wasn't considered to be giving me problems while I was taking it.

Honored Contributor

I know people who have taken it for years for knee and arthritis pain.

Valued Contributor

I have for my knees also, it is a potent drug, not one to stay on for along time, with some hard side effects make sure you read the pamphlet and talk to your pharm.
Respected Contributor

I actually had a top doctor at a top institution tell me that you would be better off taking cocaine instead of NSAID's. Needless to say, he thinks they are pretty bad for you, lol. I can't take any NSAID's anyway due to stomach issues.
Esteemed Contributor

I was given samples by my doc the week it was released. Took it for 3 days and stopped. I couldn't sleep!!! Looked up side effects and insomnia was not one of them. owever, when I called my doc to tell him I had stopped the drug and why, he said that I was the third female patient to call in with the same complaint. Interesting.

Good Luck. many received great relief from this drug.

Honored Contributor

On 11/26/2014 AnnaBella said: Did you read the insert that comes with it showing all the dangerous side effects? I would never take it.....death from heart attack is one ""side effect""......no thanks! Please read up on it before you take it!

i would say that this ""rule"" as well as discussing the medicine with your doctors and pharmacist would be the same for ANY prescription or over the counter drugs.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Took it for arthritis until I had gastric bypass surgery. I can't take any pain meds except Tylenol now. But it was wonderful. My boss, is a doctor and he takes it every day for arthritis relief.
Honored Contributor

I took it off and on until it started giving me palpitations, extra heartbeats and the like. Have not taken it since. It worked, but I don't think it worked a whole lot better than 600 mg (standard prescription dose) of Advil.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/26/2014 wismiss said:

I took Celebrex years ago. Some insurance companies do not make it part of its formulary because it is so expensive.

Celebrex is an NSAID. I trusted my family doctor (needless to say have since gotten a different doctor) and took an NSAID for several years. I kept asking if I should be taking it for that long and he said as long as my blood tests didn't show a problem with kidney function, I could keep taking it. I am now in stage 3 of chronic kidney disease. I have debilitating spinal arthritis and cannot take any Tylenol, NSAID, and most pain killers unless it is imperative that I have it, as my new doctor and I don't want me to go to stage 4. Stage 5 is where you do dialysis.

Yes, it relieved my pain and I was finally pain free, but I am paying for it now. Read up on chronic kidney disease and see if any new guidelines for taking NSAIDs have been introduced. And, ask your prescribing doctor about what measures will be taken to ensure it does not affected your kidneys.

Another Stage 3 here due to 12.5 year use of Mobic for chronic migraine. Knowing what I know now, I would gone to the ER for a drug cocktail rather than take daily NSAIDs. (I just started my 31st year of this migraine headache. I cannot tell you how miserable it is to live with that pain in my head every day.)