Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Take Celebrex?

On 11/27/2014 bigsister said:

My sister took Celebrex several years ago and had a serious reaction and went into shock; couldn't breathe well and she had to be rushed to the ER. She never took it again.

Did the doctors give you/your sister a name for this reaction?

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

On 11/27/2014 hckynut said:

My sister took Celebrex several years ago and had a serious reaction and went into shock; couldn't breathe well and she had to be rushed to the ER. She never took it again.

Yes, I believe they said it was anaphylactic (sp?) shock.

Honored Contributor

This type of shock can be deadly. I read everything I could find about Celebrex before I decided to use it for my arthritic body. Anaphalactic Shock was not listed as one of the side effects that I could find anywhere.××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××× I had my own brush with death because of this particular deadly reaction. Fortunetely I was at the hospital at the time. I was having an Iron Infusion and that is one of the dangers of this procedure. A blood test is run from the bag of Iron before they even will start this procedure to see if the patient is at risk for this deadly reaction. I obviously had no seen issue, thus this procedure was started.××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××× About 4+ hours into the procedure my blood pressure could not even be measured, there was none. I was able to survive once again thanks to some great nurses and doctors. I however do not have a choice to avoid this procedure, unless I choose to live the rest of my life in an Anemic State. I choose the risk over going through the motions of living a life.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

John, Big Sister, what scary stories. I have some allergies to drugs but never had any difficulties beyond hives. Your stories are hair raising. I thank God often that I don't need regular perscription or OTC medication. Goes to show though that you don't need to be regularly on medication to have a reaction. Yikes! So glad these stories ended well. Thanks for the reminder. LM

PS ... I am on a search for a tens machine to help with exercise aches and pains. Any recs appreciated. LM

Trusted Contributor

I just started using magnesium oil for aches. Great stuff. Even helps nasal congestion. Just rub a few drops where it hurts. Vitamin Shoppe sells a pure oil. Walgreens sells an Epson salts lotion that does not work as well.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Reba055 said:
On 11/26/2014 sfnative said:
On 11/26/2014 wismiss said:

<em>I took Celebrex years ago. Some insurance companies do not make it part of its formulary because it is so expensive.</em>

<em>Celebrex is an NSAID. I trusted my family doctor (needless to say have since gotten a different doctor) and took an NSAID for several years. I kept asking if I should be taking it for that long and he said as long as my blood tests didn't show a problem with kidney function, I could keep taking it. I am now in stage 3 of chronic kidney disease. I have debilitating spinal arthritis and cannot take any Tylenol, NSAID, and most pain killers unless it is imperative that I have it, as my new doctor and I don't want me to go to stage 4. Stage 5 is where you do dialysis.</em>

<em>Yes, it relieved my pain and I was finally pain free, but I am paying for it now. Read up on chronic kidney disease and see if any new guidelines for taking NSAIDs have been introduced. And, ask your prescribing doctor about what measures will be taken to ensure it does not affected your kidneys.</em>

Another Stage 3 here due to 12.5 year use of Mobic for chronic migraine. Knowing what I know now, I would gone to the ER for a drug cocktail rather than take daily NSAIDs. (I just started my 31st year of this migraine headache. I cannot tell you how miserable it is to live with that pain in my head every day.)

My heart goes out to you. I finally stopped having migraines after my hysterectomy. They are just awful! Hope you can find something that will work for you.

Thank you Reba for the kind words. I hope you're enjoying a wonderfu Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/27/2014 Lilysmom said:

John, Big Sister, what scary stories. I have some allergies to drugs but never had any difficulties beyond hives. Your stories are hair raising. I thank God often that I don't need regular perscription or OTC medication. Goes to show though that you don't need to be regularly on medication to have a reaction. Yikes! So glad these stories ended well. Thanks for the reminder. LM

PS ... I am on a search for a tens machine to help with exercise aches and pains. Any recs appreciated. LM

A TENS unit it meant to be used by those having issues with chronic soft tissue issues. In my case, it's the lower left back muscle spasms (workers' comp) which are extremely painful. After making a trifle for Thanksgiving yesterday, I could not straighten up and was in bad pain. Put on the TENS unit and took a SOMA.

The unit interferes with the pain messages being sent to the brain. Begging your pardon, but I cannot imagine wanting one to help with post-exercise aches and pains. I experienced plenty of that kind of pain while active in sports some years ago. Lactic acid build-up and possible over-stretching muscle fibers and at the outiside tendons, require gentle stretching after exercise, followed by a nice warm/hot soak. Next day get back to it to get O2 back into the tissue to work on that lactic acid.

If you're hurting that much that you think you need a TENS, then something is wrong with your exercise regimen, IMHO.

Valued Contributor

Luvsopals.....its good to share with you and the others.

I have only just started the Celebrex, but my Doctor said I will take the Celebrex for almost three months, then go off for a couple months. He may try me on another drug during that time.

I broke every bone in both my legs and although the bones have healed, I have titanium plates and 55 pins. I am always cold, and always in pain. I take perocet and 4 Advil together. The Advil is the anti-inflammatory and lifts the perocet so it works better. Nothing works, though, when the weather front is coming. I have to stay in bed because I am miserable. I feel like I am being hit all over with a hammer.

I also take spoonfuls of flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, etc......I am trying to be very good to my body! I am going to try the magnesium oil as a previous poster recommended. I also see a holistic chiropractor who realigns my spine for me, and with the massages, and also Reiki, I feel I am doing everything.......although people suggest,"you should move to Arizona." LOL That's easier said than done! But I have to admit that in Summer, I feel so much better, and really try to take a break from all drugs.

To everyone out there who is without pain, count your blessings! I used to walk (for fun) between five and ten miles a day, outside, through the beautiful farmland near Gettysburg....I loved walking. Now, I can't do it.

Trusted Contributor

Just wondering if your sister is allergic to sulfa drugs. It is possible that people with an allergy to sulfonamides could develop an allergic reaction when they take Celebrex. But, it doesn't always happen.

I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and can tolerate Celebrex. However, for me, I have to get a build-up of Celebrex over several days before I get any real pain relief from my arthritis. And, I don't want to take it that frequently.

I can say that, in the one instance when I took Celebrex for 5 days, for a dental procedure, my whole body felt totally pain free. I felt like I was 20 years old again!

Even though I will use a very occasional low dose of ibuprofen, I try to avoid NSAIDS. I've chosen to try physical therapy for my arthritis issues. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my kidneys, although I can understand that those with extreme pain may not have the choice.

And, as far as Tylenol, it does nothing for me as far as arthritic pain.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

On 11/27/2014 only shops online said:

Just wondering if your sister is allergic to sulfa drugs. It is possible that people with an allergy to sulfonamides could develop an allergic reaction when they take Celebrex. But, it doesn't always happen.

I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and can tolerate Celebrex. However, for me, I have to get a build-up of Celebrex over several days before I get any real pain relief from my arthritis. And, I don't want to take it that frequently.

I can say that, in the one instance when I took Celebrex for 5 days, for a dental procedure, my whole body felt totally pain free. I felt like I was 20 years old again!

Even though I will use a very occasional low dose of ibuprofen, I try to avoid NSAIDS. I've chosen to try physical therapy for my arthritis issues. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my kidneys, although I can understand that those with extreme pain may not have the choice.

And, as far as Tylenol, it does nothing for me as far as arthritic pain.

Yes, I do recall that sister was allergic to sulfa. Because I, also, have stage III kidney disease, my dr. has told me to never take ibuprofen (Advil, Aleeve). Too hard on the kidneys.