Esteemed Contributor

A Frozen Loaf of Rather Dense Gluten-Free Bread + Consequences

Three and a half weeks ago my podiatrist performed a procedure to finally rid me of the lateral margins of my large left toenail, which had for eons become ingrown, due to its dome shape. I was quite happy to finally have this procedure done and had been soaking my foot daily as directed and applying antibiotic cream and applying a bandage.

Alas, all did not go well, as last Thursday I removed a frozen loaf of gluten-free bread from the freezer to thaw and promptly dropped it on that very toe. No other toe, mind you, just that left big toe. It hurt like heck immediately, so I iced it on and off, noticing that it had bled on the side and then under the nail. Woe is me, I'm thinking, back to soaking, so I don't get an infection.

Since last Thursday my toe has been giving me what for, but I knew that it had taken a blow.

So today I return to my doc and tell him my story of woe. He says, "Better get a few films to fule out fracture." I'm thinking, "You've got to be kinding, not another thing to add to my list. We're going up in the mountains to a German village for Christmas. i can't have a fracture."

Well, guess what? That darn bread fractured my darn toe and now I'm in a boot for 6-8 weeks!

Lesson: don't drop a rather dense loaf of frozen bread on a post procedural toe.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Frozen Loaf of Rather Dense Gluten-Free Bread + Consequences

Well for crying out loud! How horrible for you. I've had to have a toe nail removed and that was no picnic, but I don't envy you your trek on this one. Sounds like you have a good doctor, and the weeks will hopefully fly by for you. It's lousy when stuff like that happens this time of year. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Oh mercy - this is a sad story, but I can't help to laugh. Enjoy your trip - maybe by the time you are away you will be used to the boot.

Respected Contributor

I guess it can be said that even gluten-free bread can be bad for your health.

On a positive note, you will probably feel back to your old self in about six weeks.

Sorry this happened to you-- especially so close to the holidays.

Super Contributor

So sorry about your mishap. But you tell the sad story in a very entertaining way. DH and I just had a good laugh--not about your fracture but about your telling of the tale.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I know ladies, it is kind of funny and I mean, gluten-free to boot! My DH will never let me forget this, ever. I will be the joke of every party for the next year. Glad you got a laugh out of it.

Respected Contributor

Ouch! Sorry you're going through this & sending best wishes for an uneventful recovery!

I learned last Dec not to drop anything frozen on (bare) toes. I had a stack of 6 ice trays I'd just removed from the freezer that slipped off the counter onto my foot. Although it hurt like heck, I just let it go without knowing how bad it really was. I lost the big toe nail back in April & right now it's about half grown back.

Well, try to enjoy your holiday season anyway! Santa should bring you extra presents just to make you feel better!

Honored Contributor

Oh no, but isn't that always the way. Whenever I drop something, it always lands on whatever part of the top of my foot/toe that is already hurting, it never fails. Hope you have a good time on your trip in spite of the boot.

Honored Contributor

Hope you're poor toe is feeling much better VERY soon.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Yes, it seems inevitable that when one drops something it will go right where fate intends it to go. VCamp - sorry to hear about your lost nail. My doc said I might lose mine, as it is now loose. My mother lost hers and when it grew back it was all wavy and unattractive and she was not happy. We'll wait and see.