Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Take Celebrex?

I took it briefly for my knees before I got them scoped. I asked my doctor about the side effects and he told me if I thought this was bad,the side effects of OTC pain meds were far worse which surprised me! I have no heart or high blood pressure issues and I didn't take it for long as the scoping fixed my knees. LM

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 sfnative said:
On 11/26/2014 wismiss said:

<em>I took Celebrex years ago. Some insurance companies do not make it part of its formulary because it is so expensive.</em>

<em>Celebrex is an NSAID. I trusted my family doctor (needless to say have since gotten a different doctor) and took an NSAID for several years. I kept asking if I should be taking it for that long and he said as long as my blood tests didn't show a problem with kidney function, I could keep taking it. I am now in stage 3 of chronic kidney disease. I have debilitating spinal arthritis and cannot take any Tylenol, NSAID, and most pain killers unless it is imperative that I have it, as my new doctor and I don't want me to go to stage 4. Stage 5 is where you do dialysis.</em>

<em>Yes, it relieved my pain and I was finally pain free, but I am paying for it now. Read up on chronic kidney disease and see if any new guidelines for taking NSAIDs have been introduced. And, ask your prescribing doctor about what measures will be taken to ensure it does not affected your kidneys.</em>

Another Stage 3 here due to 12.5 year use of Mobic for chronic migraine. Knowing what I know now, I would gone to the ER for a drug cocktail rather than take daily NSAIDs. (I just started my 31st year of this migraine headache. I cannot tell you how miserable it is to live with that pain in my head every day.)

My heart goes out to you. I finally stopped having migraines after my hysterectomy. They are just awful! Hope you can find something that will work for you.
Valued Contributor

I have "traumatic" arthritis from a serious car accident, and have pain 24/7, even with Percocet and Advil. My orthopedic surgeon started me on Celebrex and my body feels better. Unfortunately, I react to weather changes in winter, so any storm moving in keeps me in lots of pain, with no help. Even though I live near the Maryland line, in Gettysburg, the 7 feet of snow hitting Buffalo/Lake Erie had me in bed for four days.

Occasional Contributor

I've been taking Celebrex for 13 years. I'm not pain-free nor will I ever be, but this medicine helps me to function & move. I know the risks, but there's risks for almost every medicine out there. I get yearly checkups & will probably do another cardio-evaluation in 2015. All the best to you.

Trusted Contributor

I had a Workers Compensation case that took 5 yrs to resolve to get a hip replacement. Celebrex (and 2 other Cox 2s) were a life saver for me. I had total relief from the bone on bone pain.

There are serious side effects and you should be closely monitored by a doctor while on it. I had to take NSAIDs and Cox 2s for 5 years and developed kidney weakness with them. I must avoid using any of them or I will have permanent kidney damage.

Valued Contributor

Luvsopals, I understand completely what you write about being in pain all the time. The meds take the edge off but the pain never leaves.

I make sure I drink lots of water (three quarts a day at least) so my kidneys stay flushed out. I get blood tests every six months to make sure my body is doing ok with the Percocet and Advil. I stay on the Celebrex for a few months and then take a break.

I have excellent medical care with very diligent and concerned Drs. I am blessed! And I know that I am the one responsible for monitoring my meds and my body.

The best pain relief I get is from two-hour massages every ten days, plus the hot-water pool at the YMCA. I feel I am doing everything I can, and Celebrex has been very helpful.

Super Contributor

I take it for arthritis pain in my hips but also knees and hands. My doctor monitors me closely and I do bloodwork a couple times a year. I get a lot of relief from the Celebrex.
Occasional Contributor

65and fabulous - you hit the nail on the head. When taking this medicine, you have to be on top of things. Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxalen...you name it, they have side effects. When I had to have cervical fusion, I needed to be off Celebrex for 3 months post surgery. I didn't think it would be a problem because even taking Celebrex, I still had arthritis pain. Two weeks before the 3 months were up, I begged my surgeon to put me back on Celebrex, but he would not. I had to wait the full 3 months. I couldn't even sit to go to the bathroom!

It's interesting about you taking a break. I may consider talking to my doctor about that. When my ortho suggested taking Tylenol only at night for the throbbing in my knees, my regular doctor said absolutely not because my liver would be damaged. She doesn't like for her patients to take certain medicines constantly, even the Celebrex. How long is your break from Celebrex? Do you do one day on/one day off? Most curious Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

MD gave me 15 to try. I feel better when I take Bayer aspirin & strangely I had muscle spasms (Charlie horse) in my leg muscles during the night almost every time I took Celebrex. Too bad...I wanted it to work.
Respected Contributor

My sister took Celebrex several years ago and had a serious reaction and went into shock; couldn't breathe well and she had to be rushed to the ER. She never took it again.