Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any First Hand Experiences with Stitches (Sutures)?

On 1/18/2015 OkeyDokey said:

If you think it is still there, I would go back to see the doc. They can remove it, and then you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Read my OP: DO NOT tell me to see my doctor!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 millieshops said:

Years ago I had surgery on my left ring finger and several of the stitches went underground. One, at least, is still there. Every once in a while I can feel it, but it's no longer painful or visible to anyone else. The surgery was on the front of my finger on the first two bones - out where there's little flesh.

Around my eyes I don't know what I would have done if a stitch had remained. Nor would I guess what my doctor would have suggested.

Millie, it never worked it's way out? The suture?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 HonnyBrown said:
On 1/18/2015 betteb said:

My experience was that part of a non-dissolved suture left behind did not completely heal. The skin closed over it but the spot remained sore, a little red and bothersome. It did finally get close enough to the surface that my Doc was able to get it out in his office.

Kinda hurt when he did it and I had some very minor bleeding (bandaid) but it healed quickly after that.

Wow, betteb! Thank you for sharing this with me.

How did he remove the suture? Did he have to cut the are open?

It got close enough to the surface that he used a needle, like removing a splinter, then grabbed it with tweezers. It was right at one corner of my bikini cut for my Hysterectomy.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 HeartsNdiamondz said:

Hi HonnyBrown, I had eye surgery too and had both dissolvable and undissolvable sutures. The doctor took out the undissolvable 7 days later. The rest worked there way loose as I washed my face. A couple of them were annoying and I massaged them till they loosened up and came out. I did not want my skin to grow over it. Everything looks good now :-)

Hearts, thank you for sharing!

I had the regular stitches removed a week later also. The disolvable ones came out on their own.

The one that I removed had worked its way to the surface. There was no pain or swelling.

I'm not even sure if there are more stitches. My eyelid where I had the surgery feels lumpier than the other one. That could be due to the surgery. Otherwise it's completely normal.

The surgery I had was to remove a stye. I am now in the habit of letting the shower stream put pressure on my eyelids to prevent any new styes. No stitches have come out.

Thank you again!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 HonnyBrown said:
On 1/18/2015 masque said:

Hi HonnyBrown: I had gall bladder surgery in the 1960's, and had catgut stitches which were supposed to dissolve, but didn't.

The incision wasn't healed when it appeared to me to be infected. I met the surgeons at the hospital. They told me that I was allergic to the catgut sutures, and they cleaned the incision out and put a large bandage on it.

Then I had to get a drain put in it.

Well, it all turned out fine, and I don't think they even use catgut sutures anymore.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you masque! Catgut, was it really the gut of a cat?

Catgut is a type of cord that is prepared from the natural fiber found in the walls of animal intestines. Usually sheep or goat intestines are used, but it is occasionally made from the intestines of cattle,hogs,horses, mules, or donkeys.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 RedTop said: One of my daughters had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery at the end of September. Since then she has had 3 stitches to work out of her incisions. The incision will get sore, then the end of the black thread will protrude enough for her to grab with tweezers and pull out. She pulled that last stitch out during Christmas.

Thank you Red. The stitch that worked its way out, that was how I removed it.

I hope all is well with your daughter.

Valued Contributor

edit.

Honored Contributor

A family member was stitched up in the E.R. for a fall. The stitches were supposed to be dissolvable, but months later there was still a knot. Guess what- he used the wrong kind! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Enter the plastic surgeon to fix the face and remove the tissue that had grown around the suture.{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 OkeyDokey said:

edit.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 lolakimono said:

A family member was stitched up in the E.R. for a fall. The stitches were supposed to be dissolvable, but months later there was still a knot. Guess what- he used the wrong kind! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Enter the plastic surgeon to fix the face and remove the tissue that had grown around the suture.{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Oh wow! From what I understand, disolvable stitches aren't sturdy. Mine just went away. The sturdy suture is what I'm concerned about.