Esteemed Contributor

Any First Hand Experiences with Stitches (Sutures)?

I had surgery on my eyelid in October. Some of the stitches were disolvable and others and others weren't. He removed most of the non-disolvable sutures, one worked its way out on its own but I think there may be some more in there beneath the skin.

For those who have had sutures left behind, did you have to have them surgically removed or did they work their way out? The area is completely healed.

I'm looking for information from those with experience, not Google. And don't tell me to go to my doctor; that's a given!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

Re: Any First Hand Experiences with Stitches (Sutures)?

Hi HonnyBrown: I had gall bladder surgery in the 1960's, and had catgut stitches which were supposed to dissolve, but didn't.

The incision wasn't healed when it appeared to me to be infected. I met the surgeons at the hospital. They told me that I was allergic to the catgut sutures, and they cleaned the incision out and put a large bandage on it.

Then I had to get a drain put in it.

Well, it all turned out fine, and I don't think they even use catgut sutures anymore.

Wishing you all the best.

Esteemed Contributor

My experience was that part of a non-dissolved suture left behind did not completely heal. The skin closed over it but the spot remained sore, a little red and bothersome. It did finally get close enough to the surface that my Doc was able to get it out in his office.

Kinda hurt when he did it and I had some very minor bleeding (bandaid) but it healed quickly after that.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

If you think it is still there, I would go back to see the doc. They can remove it, and then you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I had surgery on my left ring finger and several of the stitches went underground. One, at least, is still there. Every once in a while I can feel it, but it's no longer painful or visible to anyone else. The surgery was on the front of my finger on the first two bones - out where there's little flesh.

Around my eyes I don't know what I would have done if a stitch had remained. Nor would I guess what my doctor would have suggested.

Super Contributor

Hi HonnyBrown, I had eye surgery too and had both dissolvable and undissolvable sutures. The doctor took out the undissolvable 7 days later. The rest worked there way loose as I washed my face. A couple of them were annoying and I massaged them till they loosened up and came out. I did not want my skin to grow over it. Everything looks good now :-)

Honored Contributor

One of my daughters had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery at the end of September. Since then she has had 3 stitches to work out of her incisions. The incision will get sore, then the end of the black thread will protrude enough for her to grab with tweezers and pull out. She pulled that last stitch out during Christmas.
Super Contributor

Hi HonnyBrown, I had eye surgery too and had both dissolvable and undissolvable sutures. The doctor took out the undissolvable 7 days later. The rest worked there way loose as I washed my face. A couple of them were annoying and I massaged them till they loosened up and came out. I did not want my skin to grow over it. Everything looks good now :-)

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 masque said:

Hi HonnyBrown: I had gall bladder surgery in the 1960's, and had catgut stitches which were supposed to dissolve, but didn't.

The incision wasn't healed when it appeared to me to be infected. I met the surgeons at the hospital. They told me that I was allergic to the catgut sutures, and they cleaned the incision out and put a large bandage on it.

Then I had to get a drain put in it.

Well, it all turned out fine, and I don't think they even use catgut sutures anymore.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank you masque! Catgut, was it really the gut of a cat?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/18/2015 betteb said:

My experience was that part of a non-dissolved suture left behind did not completely heal. The skin closed over it but the spot remained sore, a little red and bothersome. It did finally get close enough to the surface that my Doc was able to get it out in his office.

Kinda hurt when he did it and I had some very minor bleeding (bandaid) but it healed quickly after that.

Wow, betteb! Thank you for sharing this with me.

How did he remove the suture? Did he have to cut the are open?