Esteemed Contributor

Another fracture in my back . . .

Have never been completely out of pain since December, but the past three weeks have been miserable. I couldn't figure out what was the matter. Just kept getting worse. Last week I finally called the Ortho. Surgeon and made appointments for my knee (it's still painful and black and blue) and for my back, which has a new shooting pain. (This has made me grumpy. It's been so long since I've felt good; think I'm finally getting fed up with the entire mess of that woman's horrible driving.) 

Anyway, I had more x-rays and an MRI for my knee last week. Today, I had additional x-rays for my back. Seems I have another fracture. Thought I was depressed when I went into their clinic! Coming out, it was all I could do to hold back the tears. Dang it . . . I'm not going to let some idiot woman bring me to tears and ruin my day!! So far, no tears have been shed since she hit me and she won't get the satisfaction today. I may be down, but I shall pick myself up and survive. An MRI is scheduled for Wednesday, IIRC.

My Ortho. Surgeon was also talking about a procedure called  Vertebroplasty. Is anyone familiar with it? Or had it done? I have information on it. The "cons" (paralysis) sound scary due to the location of the nerves.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Re: Another fracture in my back . . .

@BirkiLady   I'm so sorry for your suffering.  My mother has had a similar procedure.. kyphoplasty, twice.  The first time (after a fall), she had instant relief from the pain.  Second time (after a sponateous fracture), not so much.  But a follow-up xray showed a second fracture, which is probably the reason for the continued pain.  Go for it.  Hopefully it will bring a lot of relief quickly.  

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady.  I feel so badly for you being in such pain.  It's none of my business of course, but I really hope you've considered legal action against her.  This may affect. the quality of the rest of your life.  It's a real bummer to feel so punk, I know.  I hope the ortho has some suggestions on how he can make you feel better ASAP.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here’s some actual research about the efficacy of this procedure when used in patients with vertebral fracture in patients without osteoporosis.

“Abstract

Vertebral compression fractures (VCFs) are a major cause of pain and disability. Here, we reviewed six randomized control trials (RCTs) focusing on the efficacy vs. placebo effect of vertebroplasty (VP) for symptomatic VCF. Four RCTs involved a nonsurgically treated control group. Two RCTs compared the use of VP vs. a sham surgery control group. Notably, RCTs comparing nonsurgically treated patients as a control group vs. those undergoing VP uniformly reported that VP contributed to improved pain relief. In contrast, RCTs comparing sham surgery vs. VP uniformly reported no significant differences between the two groups.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5461565

“Conclusions

Patients who present with traumatic fractures experience a high level of pain and disability, with many on a regular regimen of narcotics. More than half of our patients were younger than 60 years of age when they underwent vertebroplasty, and it is of great importance that these patients be able to return to their daily activities and have long-lasting results. On the basis of our results, vertebroplasty for patients with traumatic nonosteoporotic vertebral compression fractures is a safe and effective method to decrease pain, increase mobility, and decrease narcotic usage.”  

http://www.ajnr.org/content/30/2/323

Note that very few studies exist for use of his method in patients without osteoporosis that were treated for a fracture. 

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady 

~you're going through a lot.  Hope this health setback starts turning around quickly and your pain and suffering will start improving SOON. Heart

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Heart

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady i am so sorry to hear about your ongoing suffering.  i want you to know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Respected Contributor

Hi!  I am very sorry you are in so much pain and are suffering.  I hope that whatever you decide to do, whether it is vertebroplasty, or something else, that you will thoroughly research every single option from the different types of surgical options available for your condition, to no surgery at all, and feel comfortable with your decision, whatever it might be, before you proceed with surgery.

I used to work in insurance (18 years ago) and I had knowledge of the different types of surgical procedures done on backs, knees, wrists, etc.  Until just now, I had never heard of vertebroplasty, which involves the use of medical grade cement, and is considered a minimally invasive procedure.  I am always cautious about new types of procedures and medical devices until they are considered "well-established" and "well-tested". As this is not a life or death procedure, please take the time to research every option for your particular spinal injury fully, especially if you are not familiar with what is being recommended for you.  Have there been any problems with the cement being used in the way of precipitating a need for revision surgery (as happens sometimes with surgically installed plates, rods, and screws)?  How long has this particular surgical procedure been used in orthopedic medicine, and does it have an impressively good track record of success so that you could feel confident in having it performed on your fracture?  What are the odds of success versus failure?  What is the risk level for the procedure? (A quick search revealed that the use of a certain injector device for vertebroplasty was patented in 2001, so the use of cement to stabilize fractures is not as nearly as new as I had thought it might be.  https://patents.justia.com/patent/7008433 )

No matter what you choose to do, please let it be your decision, only, and let it be the most informed decision possible.  Take a painkiller to take the edge off your pain, and do your research. You will never regret taking the time to do this for yourself. I wish you every success in finding the optimal way for you to recover and maximize your mobility.  Thank you for bringing this (relatively) new surgical option to my attention.  Without your post, I would not have known it existed, considering my length of time away from my insurance career.  

Esteemed Contributor

My husband was diagnosed with osteoporosis in his spine and had a verebroplasty while he was in the hospital  three months ago. It's a non-invasive procedure in which cement is used to repair discs. The procedure takes less than hour and the patient is in recovery a couple of hours afterwards. My husband said that the procedure itself was painless and he has felt much better since then. Other than sometimes feeling a kink in his back, he has been pain free. The vertebroplasty definitely helped. 

The doctor has to determine which procedure is best for the patient. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find relief soon. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

My husband was diagnosed with osteoporosis in his spine and had a verebroplasty while he was in the hospital  three months ago. It's a non-invasive procedure in which cement is used to repair discs. The procedure takes less than hour and the patient is in recovery a couple of hours afterwards. My husband said that the procedure itself was painless and he has felt much better since then. Other than sometimes feeling a kink in his back, he has been pain free. The vertebroplasty definitely helped. 

The doctor has to determine which procedure is best for the patient. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find relief soon. 

How does the cement get into the body if the procedure is noninvasive, @teganslaw?

I am sorry you are having continued pain, @BirkiLady.