Honored Contributor

Sorry, that your family is dealing with this. It sounds like your brother is most definitely having some mental health issues. Maybe with some medication and a diagnosis, he can be restored to better health.

You have a lot on your plate already. Just take care of yourself and don't worry too much....easier said than done, though..

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sorry, that your family is dealing with this. It sounds like your brother is most definitely having some mental health issues. Maybe with some medication and a diagnosis, he can be restored to better health.

You have a lot on your plate already. Just take care of yourself and don't worry too much....easier said than done, though..

@Trinity11

You are such a sweetheart.  I just came across the thread in CC about your heart attack . . . something I've not seen before.  You've had your share of illness and close encounters, yet you still manage to comfort others.  I admire you so much and hope you are well now.

My sick brother is a pot addict and has been all of his life.  He will not take other meds, thinks marijuana cures everything.  My younger brother is an angel on earth for all he puts up with his kids, his grandchildren, this brother now, other relatives.  They all think he's the family bank. 

They are all three hours away and I can't drive.  If I lived closer, I could give my younger brother more support, not physically or financially, but at least morally.

I am hoping my other brother will listen to him and not just get all PO'd at the mere suggestion that he needs help.  He has no idea how his actions affect others, or if he does, he doesn't care.

Anyway, my younger brother is going to try.  And I'm going to probably freak out at the other one if he doesn't comply.  (He's afraid of me for some reason, LOL.)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@LilacTree  At this point I am very sympathetic to your other brother.  How sad!

@Big Sister

I already responded to this, but just had to tell you that your nic is what my family up north calls me . . . "Big Sister."  I am the oldest, therefore qualify as the "matriarch" I guess!  I forgot to mention that in my other post.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

You are such a sweetheart.  I just came across the thread in CC about your heart attack . . . something I've not seen before.  You've had your share of illness and close encounters, yet you still manage to comfort others.  I admire you so much and hope you are well now.

My sick brother is a pot addict and has been all of his life.  He will not take other meds, thinks marijuana cures everything.  My younger brother is an angel on earth for all he puts up with his kids, his grandchildren, this brother now, other relatives.  They all think he's the family bank. 

They are all three hours away and I can't drive.  If I lived closer, I could give my younger brother more support, not physically or financially, but at least morally.

I am hoping my other brother will listen to him and not just get all PO'd at the mere suggestion that he needs help.  He has no idea how his actions affect others, or if he does, he doesn't care.

Anyway, my younger brother is going to try.  And I'm going to probably freak out at the other one if he doesn't comply.  (He's afraid of me for some reason, LOL.)

Thanks for the well wishes... One of the drugs was making me so breathless that I needed a wheel chair..I couldn't walk. They pulled it and changed it to something that seems to work better. I take a lot of meds now that have various side effects but in time I hope to adjust. I am anxious to be active again but need to be more patient...

Bless your brother. You, too, because it isn't easy when physically you want to do something and your body won't cooperate. I hope all works out for your entire family. Heart

Honored Contributor

My overall concern would be a lifetime of Marijuana use.  In some cases it can cause Manic episodes that also include anger and aggression.  Pot also (it has been proven recently) changes DNA.   I agree that he may wish to see a doctor regarding all this.  To find out if the mental issues (whether pot related or not) can be eased with a doctor's help.

I wish you and your family the very best....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

My overall concern would be a lifetime of Marijuana use.  In some cases it can cause Manic episodes that also include anger and aggression.  Pot also (it has been proven recently) changes DNA.   I agree that he may wish to see a doctor regarding all this.  To find out if the mental issues (whether pot related or not) can be eased with a doctor's help.

I wish you and your family the very best....  

I have tried to discuss this with himHe is a 75 year old man who has smoked pot since he was a teenager.  There is no reasoning with him on that issue.  If a doctor tries to get him to stop use, he will do either one of two things:  Get angry and walk out of his office; or yes him to death and go outside and light up.

I think this has a lot to do with his behavior, but I really don't know enough about it to be sure.  He thinks it cures everything and is a magical substance.  And nowadays with medical marijuana being legal and everyone praising its use, he feels very vindicated and reinforced in his beliefs.

I know two people who are lifetime pot users.  One is very laid back and calm all the time.  The other (my brother) is confrontational and angry all the time.  I guess it has a different effect depending upon the person.

Formerly Ford1224