Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland 

Omeprazole is a Proton Pump Inhibitor, which caused me issues with my stomach lining not being able to absorb iron, which is a whole other story. Acid Blockers work a little differently

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I would ask the doctor because they don't all work the same way and the doctor may be able to best match you with one that's similar to Zantac.

I use Omeprazole, which my doctor recommended, and have found it works better for me than Ranitidine.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Lots of warnings using Proton Pump Inhibitors. I use Tums when needed, works just fine for me. 

Honored Contributor

I just purchased Dr. Lessmann's Friendly Flora, and have just started taking them.....

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox ,

Dr had me on Rx for Protonix, which worked very well for me.

I was eventually able to 'graduate' to OTC antacids.

Honored Contributor

I would ask the doctor because they don't all work the same way and the doctor may be able to best match you with one that's similar to Zantac.

I use Omeprazole, which my doctor recommended, and have found it works better for me than Ranitidine.

@Alison Wonderland 

My Ranitidine was recalled several weeks ago!  (Weg Pharm)

I am now on Famotidine

Neither one really works.....

An aside......for me, drinking water doesn't make a difference.

I have had attacks from water!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Lots of warnings using Proton Pump Inhibitors. I use Tums when needed, works just fine for me. 

Yes. You only take a ppi when it's the best choice for the situation, and only as long as needed. I was glad when I could get off of them.

Believe me, Tums wasn't going to do the trick.

I'm sure OPs Dr is aware of ppi dangers.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

Omeprazole is a Proton Pump Inhibitor, which caused me issues with my stomach lining not being able to absorb iron, which is a whole other story. Acid Blockers work a little differently

Then I default back to ask your doctor.

Honored Contributor

I still take Zantac, my Dr and Pharma told me it is safe..You might try using magnesium. My Dr told me to take it because I was low and it has helped me a great deal. I take 500  mg once per day..Call your Dr and see if it is OK if you are in doubt

My son also tried it and was surprised that it also worked for him

Remember meds can do a number on your stomach sometimes, so we are constantly facing an uphill  battle ,if we use them

Esteemed Contributor

Go natural and try L-Glutamine, skip the harsh pharmaceuticals.

Trusted Contributor

I have good luck drinking Throat Coat tea which has slippery elm in it, or using Thayers slippery elm lozenges.