Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  I am off PPI's, they casued too many absoprtion issues, which is why I asked about an Acid reducer, I emailed my doc and her answer was Pepcid, so I am switching

@x Hedge wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Lots of warnings using Proton Pump Inhibitors. I use Tums when needed, works just fine for me. 

Yes. You only take a ppi when it's the best choice for the situation, and only as long as needed. I was glad when I could get off of them.

Believe me, Tums wasn't going to do the trick.

I'm sure OPs Dr is aware of ppi dangers.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@I am still oxox ,

Dr had me on Rx for Protonix, which worked very well for me.

I was eventually able to 'graduate' to OTC antacids.

Agree.  I had extreme acid reflux after a Prolia shot around T'giving and I was given Protonix and Zofran and it worked great.  It was so bad I could not keep anything down and this combo worked great. 

I went to an urgent care open that day and the NP said the Protonix decreases the amount of acid your stomach produces and Zofran controls nausea.  Zofran is what was given me 9 years ago during my chemo sessions so I wouldn't get sick.  

Honored Contributor

My 85 year old aunt complained to her doctor about reflux and she told my aunt to drink more water with her meal. My aunt still has the reflux, she said if she just doesn't eat anything to trigger the acid reflux she's ok. I have suffered with GERD since my 50's and have tried everything including losing weight. What helped me the most was Nexium OTC.I take it for 14 days and then ween myself off it and I'm good for months.Once you let your esophagus get irritated from the acid reflux you're in trouble and need to be on Nexium longer until that heals. BTW my doctor has no problem with me taking Nexium as needed because the alternative is deadly.

Valued Contributor

My husband was told by a friend that he takes about a half teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water and it really helps with his indigestion and/or heartburn.  We have tried it and we can vouch for that.  It does help.  Maybe it could work for you.

Honored Contributor

Humana Pharmacy wasn't delivering on my Zantac any longer so my Dr. switched me over to Pepcid.  I was skeptical because I tried Pepcid years ago and didn't feel it did nearly as well as my Zantac. 

You might ask your Dr. if it would be ok to skip the Pepcid for a day or two and replace it will Nexium.....then go right back on the Pepcid and see what happens....(just to jump start the Pepcid)  a tiny bit. That worked for me but check with your doctor first.  I only needed to do that about 2 or 3  days...then right back to the Pepcid.  That worked for me!   Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

Becareful with baking soda. It can be harmful

Respected Contributor

I use Omeprazole, which my doctor recommended. I've taken Ranitidine, and still add that when necessary. I'm a big water drinker, but that makes no difference.  Nor, does it matter what I eat.  Now, I can eat or drink anything I want.  Nice!

Honored Contributor

@MomCat 

Omeprazole is a PPI which I will no longer take, I did wonderfully on Prevacid but it casued me man absorption issuse

@MomCat wrote:

I use Omeprazole, which my doctor recommended. I've taken Ranitidine, and still add that when necessary. I'm a big water drinker, but that makes no difference.  Nor, does it matter what I eat.  Now, I can eat or drink anything I want.  Nice!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.