Respected Contributor

A question about depression

[ Edited ]

My daughter suffers from bipolar. She is telling me she can feel the depression coming on a week or so before it hits her full force. My question is, has anyone else experienced this as well? If so, is there anything you do to head it off?

Frequent Contributor

Re: A question about depression

I'm sorry your daughter is suffering from this dreadful disease.  Does she take medication?  If not, I suggest going to a reputable doctor.  Your primary care doctor can suggest a good doctor.  Bi-polar can be controlled with the proper meds that are taken as directed.  Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry your daughter is dealing with Bi-Polar.  I know what I would do, but you have to find what is right and effective for her. My appproach would be a natural one.   I wish you the best and much love.

Respected Contributor

@Ann52 wrote:

I'm sorry your daughter is suffering from this dreadful disease.  Does she take medication?  If not, I suggest going to a reputable doctor.  Your primary care doctor can suggest a good doctor.  Bi-polar can be controlled with the proper meds that are taken as directed.  Best wishes.

@Ann52 Actually she takes a cocktail of meds. Her diagnosis is schizoeffective disorder, a combination of bipolar and schizophrenia. She has a very good psychiatrist which we are thankful for. 

Valued Contributor

My takeaway from your post, and I wish I had a great answer for you but I have no experience here, is that you are a wonderful and caring mom. I wish you and your daughter the answers you are searching for and the peace you both deserve. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving❣️🦃

Frequent Contributor

@panda1234- I am not bipolar and I’m not schizophrenic. But I’ve had issues with depression for the last 25+ years. I also can tell when it’s getting bad- my husband knows when it’s bad, too. I go into fight mode, that’s the best way I can describe it. I avoid the news, I make sure to exercise more, and I take my vitamin D3. I avoid some social situations since my anxiety can get the best of me and that makes the depression worse. I do a lot of knitting because that keeps my brain focused on that and not on sad thoughts. My cats each have at least 5 blankets that I’ve made over the last few years, and I don’t know if I should laugh at that or be grateful that I’m still here making blankets. And I talk to my husband about things. Every single day is a struggle for some of us, but I just try to think only about ‘today’. Get through today, don’t worry about tomorrow. And I tell myself what I’d tell a loved one who’s feeling bad- things will get better. They will.

My heart hurts for your daughter and for you because I can only imagine how it is for our loved ones who have to go through this right along with us. It’s a painful thing, depression. It’s painful for everyone. But please know that you and your family are not alone. Hugs to you. 

Respected Contributor

My dh has bipolar. Sleep is the best way to regulate biochemistry in the brain. At least 8 hrs nightly- disruptions can lead to an episode. Adequate sleep can head off an episode.

Make sure the room is dark, quiet etc.—it is crucial.

Respected Contributor

P.S.

Try to reduce stimulation and stress.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234  You have a lot on your plate.  If her current medication is not controlling her depression, it is best to see her dr.  The dr. may change medication.  Hopefully, with the right medications your daughter will lead a normal life.  Take care and I hope your daughter gets better.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

My brother suffers from Bipoar disorder and he tells me when things don't feel right, so yes, I hink she knows in advance.