Frequent Contributor

Re: A question about depression

I know exactly what your daughter means, it is a feeling I dread so much, I have treatment resistent depression. I'm 43 and have struggled since childhood, I wish I could suggest something, but nothing has helped me. I just wanted to tell you I know what she's talking about.

Trusted Contributor

I have been diagnosed with being biploar for several years.  You sound like a very caring and loving mother.  Thank you.

My suggestions.  Definately continue with the psychiatrist.  and medications.

Never listen to people who think they are experts, but are not...ie., Tom Cruise.

Continue with your love and support.  A loving, caring support system helps a great deal!!!!!

One thing that I found helpful was try to keep a consistant schedule as possible.  (very hard to do when working, children, and husband)  but so helpful.  And I mean getting up and going to bed at the same time, eating meals at the same time, the same daily routine.  And plenty of sleep. 

Don't forget...your daughters family..including you, need to take care of themselves.  They are of no help if they get sick, depressed, lack of sleep, etc.  Its a team effort.  You are a family.  And she needs all of you.  So, take care of yourself (and if there is husband and kids..they need to be taken care of also)

Best of luck to all of you. 

Honored Contributor

Yes and I try and get back to me.

I am constantly doing for others without much reciprocation so taking a me break can be helpful but I would never suggest leaving her alone. Just letting her set the agenda for the day without judgement or comment could be extremely helpful. It makes you feel more in control of things.

Many well wishes to you both. ♥️

Respected Contributor

@brandy77 wrote:

I know exactly what your daughter means, it is a feeling I dread so much, I have treatment resistent depression. I'm 43 and have struggled since childhood, I wish I could suggest something, but nothing has helped me. I just wanted to tell you I know what she's talking about.

@brandy77 Your story is her story. She has been going to her doctor since she was 5, I knew something wasn't right. Her depression is resistant to meds so she did 6 weeks,  

everyday of a treatment called TMS. New  technology, lots of $$$$ and it didn't work for her. She did DSPT for 18 mos. twice a week, that didn't help. Thank you for sharing.

Respected Contributor

@ruthbe wrote:

I have been diagnosed with being biploar for several years.  You sound like a very caring and loving mother.  Thank you.

My suggestions.  Definately continue with the psychiatrist.  and medications.

Never listen to people who think they are experts, but are not...ie., Tom Cruise.

Continue with your love and support.  A loving, caring support system helps a great deal!!!!!

One thing that I found helpful was try to keep a consistant schedule as possible.  (very hard to do when working, children, and husband)  but so helpful.  And I mean getting up and going to bed at the same time, eating meals at the same time, the same daily routine.  And plenty of sleep. 

Don't forget...your daughters family..including you, need to take care of themselves.  They are of no help if they get sick, depressed, lack of sleep, etc.  Its a team effort.  You are a family.  And she needs all of you.  So, take care of yourself (and if there is husband and kids..they need to be taken care of also)

Best of luck to all of you. 

@ruthbe  Very good advice. 

Family is judging on how I deal with this. They are always suggesting if she had a job that would be the answer. She could never hold a job as we never know when depression will rear it's ugly head. I think it bugs them that she is not working. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@panda1234  You have a lot on your plate.  If her current medication is not controlling her depression, it is best to see her dr.  The dr. may change medication.  Hopefully, with the right medications your daughter will lead a normal life.  Take care and I hope your daughter gets better.

@Katcat1 She has a standing appointment with her doctor every 2 weeks. She has used all of the current meds at some point in her life, her body just resists them. 

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

P.S.

Try to reduce stimulation and stress.

@IMW  We are doing just that by staying home for Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

My dh has bipolar. Sleep is the best way to regulate biochemistry in the brain. At least 8 hrs nightly- disruptions can lead to an episode. Adequate sleep can head off an episode.

Make sure the room is dark, quiet etc.—it is crucial.

@IMW   I forgot to mention she also has insomina.

Respected Contributor

@Nugbucker   I love the idea of knitting. I always thought something along those lines would be good and worth a try. She says it is hard for her to focus when she feels this coming on. 

Esteemed Contributor

I suffer from depression and I can say that people think that you only feel sad. Wrong with depression you can feel tired or angry or anxious. I am under medication and have been through therapy and I am feeling much better. The first step is to have good caring doctors who are welling to work with you.  The second step and final step is to be on your medication if need be.