Esteemed Contributor

My really bad tinnitis, while on a Z-pak for an huge gum abscess

OK, listen up sufferers of tinnitis.

Tinnitis:  On a scale of 0-10, I've been suffering from a high pitched screaming form of tinnitis for about 14 years.  At times in my left year, it is 2-tones.  It drives me to distraction.  Keeps me awake at night, as if pain keeping me awake isn't enough. I don't think someone who lives in a quiet world without the constant screaming of tinnitis can understand the insanity of this miserable disorder.

There is no clinical treatment for this.  There are some quacks out there selling snack oil type cures, but the fact remains that the cause is basically unknown, except for sufferers of Meniere's Disease, IEDs, blows to the head, etc.  There frankly is no known cure.

I've been on a Z-pak, azithromyin (antibiotic big guns) for a huge abscess in my upper right gum, since last Friday.  Of super great interest to me right now is the fact that my screaming level 10 tinnitis has gone down to a level 2-3 for 3 days now. 

Wow!  This is nothing short of miraculous!  I want to get in my car, drive back down to San Diego to the hospital from which I retired, which has a very robust ENT research department, and scream to my docs to research this!

A-mazing!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My really bad tinnitis, while on a Z-pak for an huge gum abscess

Congrats and enjoy it while it lasts!

Respected Contributor

Have you tried a diuretic? I am so glad you have found relief and pray that it continues. Please keep us posted.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative, I have had tinnitus for about 4 years and seems to me a prescription acid blocker the doctor gave me started it. 

It's so bad.  Sometimes I want to go outside in the backyard and just scream.

Respected Contributor

SFNative ... you are fortunate ... some ototoxic drugs (as in your Z-pak) can cause (or alleviate) Tinnitus.  Mine was caused from taking Amitriptyline, started a week after taking, never had an issue before.  

My tinnitus is a level 10 some days with little relief, does go away for a few hours but returns when I am nervous or anxious.   It is a curse that no one can understand ... I am convinced that most hearing loss (& tinnitus) occurs due to prescription ototoxic drugs (a list can be found on the Internet).   

Regular Contributor

I too have tinnitus and vertigo since early 1980's. Woke up with the vertigo one morning. Sought out lots of treatments, too many to go into. I have been taking an anti-anxiety med for the vertigo, which helps.

As for the tinnitus - and vertigo as well sometimes - ibuprofen seems to make it worse, take as little as I can when I need to take at all. Caffeire makes the tinnitus worse.

Last fall, I finally listened to my husband and due to diminished hearing in left ear, was fitted for hearing aid(very small) and this summer got another for the right ear. I cannot even imagine how long my hearing was so bad. Had many ear infections as a small child, I am told - so who knows? I mention this because having the hearing aid in my left ear has helped with the tinnitus.Obviously, you do not get a hearing aid unless you have diminished hearing as well

Just try to limit caffeiine and ibuprofen and see if you get any relief at all.

Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative,

Am glad you are experiencing relief with the tinnitus issue while taking meds for an infection!  

My cousin lost her ability to taste a lot of her foods in her 30’s, after needing meds and shots longterm for allergies.   Foods that are tart, spicy, acidic, etc., can usually be detected, but overall, she doesn’t pick up much taste with food.   However, every time she takes azithromycin for sinus infection, she can actually taste food again!   

Respected Contributor

Have this, all my life, even as a child i heard the ringing. i had many ear infections as a kid and got my ears blown out at concerts as a teen. i only hear ringing at night when in bed.  sometimes there are dual tones. i'm so used to it now, but it can be annoying.

AARP Magazine Oct/Nov 2018  has a story about treatment for this

A sound-therapy system helps Nick Stein deal with his tinnitus.

En español | LIKE SNOWFLAKES or fingerprints, the phantom noises that are heard by the 50 million American adults with tinnitus are unique. Some sufferers are tortured by constant buzzing; others, by hissing or ringing. For Los Angeles independent TV producer Nick Stein, 65, it’s a monotonous, high-pitched whistle that started after a night working in the studio in 2005. “When it’s really loud, it’s really horrible,” he says.

Stein’s mindfulness meditation practice helped him keep his severe tinnitus in perspective, but it wasn’t enough for him. In 2017, he began using a sound-therapy system that pipes the same high-pitched squealing tone he hears all day into his ears at night, via earbuds that he wears while he sleeps.

“Doubling the sound seems crazy, but the brain is plastic — it slowly becomes habituated so you notice the sound less and less,” Stein notes. “After three months my tinnitus receded into the background. I go back to the system periodically to stay habituated. It really helps.”

Stein used a device called the Levo System, which is adjusted before first use to play a tone that closely matches the pitch and texture of a tinnitus sufferer’s unique phantom sound. “I worked with my audiologist so the sound mimicked my tinnitus exactly,” Stein says. Research shows that this type of sound therapy helps people react less to their tinnitus and can even make the problematic noise fade into the background.

Tinnitus most often results from damage to sound-sensing hairs in the inner ear, which can be caused by sudden or chronic noise exposure or simply by aging. (Some medications, such as painkillers and antibiotics, can also cause tinnitus, although the noises usually stop once the medication is discontinued.) Nerves connected to the hairs go rogue, transmitting a nonexistent sound to the brain, similar to phantom limb syndrome.

Habituation therapies help train the brain to pay less attention to the false signals generated by the ear, explains Stein’s otolaryngologist, Yu-Tung Wong, of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. “What you’re trying to do with most tinnitus treatments is to make the sound more tolerable,” Wong recently told CBS News. “It’s very difficult to say that you’re going to make the sound disappear completely.”

Meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy are still the primary options against this as-yet-uncurable condition, according to the American Academy of Otolaryngology. Stein, who produced the series Border Wars for National Geographic and teaches mindfulness meditation to law enforcement officers, says he feels less irritable and more able to focus now that he combines his traditional therapy with occasional Levo treatments.

“Stress and disruptions in my daily routine — like when I travel — seem to make the tinnitus louder again,” he adds. “So I’ll put my earbuds back in for a couple of nights.”

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2018/medical-breakthrough-hearing-vision.html

Esteemed Contributor

@bakergirl wrote:

I too have tinnitus and vertigo since early 1980's. Woke up with the vertigo one morning. Sought out lots of treatments, too many to go into. I have been taking an anti-anxiety med for the vertigo, which helps.

As for the tinnitus - and vertigo as well sometimes - ibuprofen seems to make it worse, take as little as I can when I need to take at all. Caffeire makes the tinnitus worse.

Last fall, I finally listened to my husband and due to diminished hearing in left ear, was fitted for hearing aid(very small) and this summer got another for the right ear. I cannot even imagine how long my hearing was so bad. Had many ear infections as a small child, I am told - so who knows? I mention this because having the hearing aid in my left ear has helped with the tinnitus.Obviously, you do not get a hearing aid unless you have diminished hearing as well

Just try to limit caffeiine and ibuprofen and see if you get any relief at all.

Hang in there.

@bakergirl

Hi bakergirl,

Don't know if you've been evaluated by an ENT doc, but vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss - this 3-some -  is indicative of Meniere's Disease.  It can be mild, as in one or two of the symptoms mild; or, all three can be quite pronounced.  I have a good friend down in San Diego who had to take early retirement, as he had Meniere's Disease and all of a sudden and quite rapidly he nearly lost his hearing and his balance became quite bad and very dangerous for him on the job (I knew him through work.  So incredibly sad.)

My tinnitus is a loud high pitched scream, which drives me to distraction, I can tell you!  Sometimes at night, it interferes with my ability to fall asleep, because the darn noise is too loud.

Fortunately, my vertigo is not too bad.  I used to have an "attack" about once every 12-15 months when I lived in California, would go right away to my ENT, who would give me a vibratory treatment right behind my left ear, on my temporal bone.  Fabulous results.  Then we retired and move to another state.  I had a vertigo attack, found a new ENT, he says that hand vibratory unit is now "stone ages" treatment, so he asks me to follow him into a special treatment room, where I'm asked to sit in a really weird chair.  Looked kind of like an old fashioned dentist's chair.  Seated in the chair, he brings up a black padded bowl attached to the chair and places it near the back of my left ear.  I wondered what in the heck is he going to do.  Then he tells me he's going to turn the machine on and I'm thinking, "What machine?" because he failed to explain anything.  Before I had a chance to open my mouth, this bowl thing started shaking like heck moving back and forth to the right of the head and back to the left and so forth until I yelled to stop it, because it was so loud.

OMG!  I'll just give you the bottom line:  This ____ machine made my vertigo worse.  I developed vertigo in positions I never had before.  I called his office back the next day and told him I wanted to try vestibular rehabilitation.  This was a joke.  The rehab person, who everyone said was like a god of vestibular rehab, geeeeesh, had me place specialized goggles on my eyes, then she plugged them into her computer and the "treatment" started: do this, do that, etc.  I placed quotes around the word treatment, because not only did it not work, it also made my vertigo worse.  NOW I had vertigo with movement to the left, forward and backward.  I was only safe moving my head to the right.  And, laying down in bed at night was a joke.  How to make the world stop moving?!

I will never ever seek any treatment from an ENT in the city were I now live.  I will purchase a ticket and fly down to Scripps in La Jolla, CA.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Have this, all my life, even as a child i heard the ringing. i had many ear infections as a kid and got my ears blown out at concerts as a teen. i only hear ringing at night when in bed.  sometimes there are dual tones. i'm so used to it now, but it can be annoying.

AARP Magazine Oct/Nov 2018  has a story about treatment for this

A sound-therapy system helps Nick Stein deal with his tinnitus.

En español | LIKE SNOWFLAKES or fingerprints, the phantom noises that are heard by the 50 million American adults with tinnitus are unique. Some sufferers are tortured by constant buzzing; others, by hissing or ringing. For Los Angeles independent TV producer Nick Stein, 65, it’s a monotonous, high-pitched whistle that started after a night working in the studio in 2005. “When it’s really loud, it’s really horrible,” he says.

Stein’s mindfulness meditation practice helped him keep his severe tinnitus in perspective, but it wasn’t enough for him. In 2017, he began using a sound-therapy system that pipes the same high-pitched squealing tone he hears all day into his ears at night, via earbuds that he wears while he sleeps.

“Doubling the sound seems crazy, but the brain is plastic — it slowly becomes habituated so you notice the sound less and less,” Stein notes. “After three months my tinnitus receded into the background. I go back to the system periodically to stay habituated. It really helps.”

Stein used a device called the Levo System, which is adjusted before first use to play a tone that closely matches the pitch and texture of a tinnitus sufferer’s unique phantom sound. “I worked with my audiologist so the sound mimicked my tinnitus exactly,” Stein says. Research shows that this type of sound therapy helps people react less to their tinnitus and can even make the problematic noise fade into the background.

Tinnitus most often results from damage to sound-sensing hairs in the inner ear, which can be caused by sudden or chronic noise exposure or simply by aging. (Some medications, such as painkillers and antibiotics, can also cause tinnitus, although the noises usually stop once the medication is discontinued.) Nerves connected to the hairs go rogue, transmitting a nonexistent sound to the brain, similar to phantom limb syndrome.

Habituation therapies help train the brain to pay less attention to the false signals generated by the ear, explains Stein’s otolaryngologist, Yu-Tung Wong, of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. “What you’re trying to do with most tinnitus treatments is to make the sound more tolerable,” Wong recently told CBS News. “It’s very difficult to say that you’re going to make the sound disappear completely.”

Meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy are still the primary options against this as-yet-uncurable condition, according to the American Academy of Otolaryngology. Stein, who produced the series Border Wars for National Geographic and teaches mindfulness meditation to law enforcement officers, says he feels less irritable and more able to focus now that he combines his traditional therapy with occasional Levo treatments.

“Stress and disruptions in my daily routine — like when I travel — seem to make the tinnitus louder again,” he adds. “So I’ll put my earbuds back in for a couple of nights.”

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2018/medical-breakthrough-hearing-vision.html

@CatsyCline

Yes, I know what this man does.  He sells his system or whatever you want to call it.  I purchased it for $167.00 delivered directed to my laptap "as promised."  There never was anything to download.  I complained many times.  Beware of this man.  His version of "snake oil."  I remain extremely angry.  I got taken, big time.  Meditation my eye!!!!!!  I've practiced every form of relaxation and meditation you can think of and nothing but nothing helps to remove my consciousness from the ultra loud screaming high tones tinnitus which afflicts me.