WEN

Honored Contributor

My First Experience with FAS

[ Edited ]

Go ahead.  I'll wait for those of you who know where this is going to pick yourselves up off the floor and stop laughing.  

This board recommended FAS to me over the summer because it seems like the CCs that have a very strong smell (TT, FGP) love my hair and my hair loves them back.  So I get over it and use them up without taking deep breaths while I wash.

So fall appears and FAS is now available.  CD comes on QVC and says the girls with the curls LOVE it.  I stop what I am doing.  I listen.  The board has said go ahead, buy FAS.  CD comes on my tv.  Go ahead, girl with the curls, try FAS.  "It's just a little spicy."

As you roll to the other side of the room in laughter, spice is not exactly how I would describe this CC's scent.  FGP is spicy.  And if that is the word he would use for FAS, personally I think everyone had a sinus infection on the day when the Wen team smelled it for the first time and said "Oh yes!  That's a wonderful fall scent!"  

I am still waiting for Ashton Kutcher to tell me I  am being punked because I know at least one person and probably a whole group grabbed for paper bags when they got a big whiff of FAS.  I have never had children but I'm thinking this is what morning sickness must be like every time this goes up my nose.  

Now I normally don't worry too much about scent because my hair doesn't really hang onto them.  I just have to get through the wash and then I move on to my Fig styling products and I have never walked around with TT or FGP up my nose.

Well, wouldn't you know what the first scent to hang on to my strands would be?  Smiley Happy  I have long curly hair which is around my face and shoulders all day long.  I have been putting off what I would call this scent because I am between two words both ending in it and I really don't want to offend unlike FAS.

Now of course, I did say my hair loves the strong scents.  It has rained where I live for three days.  I have not done my normal RTM with the frequency I usually do because the messier my curls gets....well, gosh darn, I guess I have to wash it again and I think Lav is looking pretty good to me.  

But my curls ARE fabulous after two days.  It is still raining here  and my hair is shiny and my curls are holding form for the most part without real help.  It may be the best Wen CC I have used although it has only been two days.  

Help me.....

Respected Contributor

Re: My First Experience with FAS

@Laura14 Now that I've picked myself up from the floor....

I'm with you 100%!!!!!! I'm not sure what Chaz is smelling to call it "spicey", to me it's nothing but sickly sweet maple. And yes, it CLINGS--to hair, towels, bathroom tile, combs, brushes, hands (even if I mixed it with other formulas)! Ugh! It worked well for me, too, but I cannot tolerate the scent in my hair all day. I did manage to use up 2 16 oz. bottles by using them to shave my legs--mixed the FAS with the Tresemme conditioner I normally use for that purpose so it cut the scent some. I wear pants most of the time, and I didn't notice the smell seeping thru the fabric, lol!

The ladies that love FAS can have your share and mine!

Valued Contributor

Funny! It took me an entire 16 oz bottle of FAS before I started to enjoy the scent. I luv it now, but it took some time, I didn't open the bottle and say "wow, this is the best scent". I do believe the name of it is misleading. Fall sweet maple is more accurate. Try mixing FAS with 6/13. I find when I mix it, it doesn't linger as long post shower. Keep at it, you might like it after a couple of weeks, or you might just hate it evenmore, good luck! 😋

**Suz**
Honored Contributor

@vermint  You smell maple?  Really?  That would be preferable.  Me not so much.  I was a little afraid to light my candle last night because of the smell around my head.  

I do have to say it is definitely not as strong on the second day in my hair.  I usually keep the front part back off my face so I'm only downwind but it's honestly flaming me that I am rocking the best curls I have had in a long time and in the rain no less but the agony of the scent...    

I can't believe I am going to type this but my hair better stop looking this good or I will have no choice but to support the FAS collection.  Hey, if nothing else, I'll look darn good with the gas mask over my face at home or passed out in aisle three along with three or four innocent bystanders because we couldn't take it anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Suz585  You give me hope!  Thank you!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I am always dismayed when Chaz describes Fall Apple Spice as the spiciest of the fall products. This just further enforces individual scent is. I don't get spice at all. Fall Ginger Pumpkin is spicy. Fall Apple Spice is just a hot mess.

And yes, you can smell it ALL day.

It might be the best thing in the world for my curls, but I will never, EVER know. I used it on my hair twice and used the remainder to wash my feet, because they are never going anywhere near my nose.

Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I am always dismayed when Chaz describes Fall Apple Spice as the spiciest of the fall products. This just further enforces individual scent is. I don't get spice at all. Fall Ginger Pumpkin is spicy. Fall Apple Spice is just a hot mess.

And yes, you can smell it ALL day.

It might be the best thing in the world for my curls, but I will never, EVER know. I used it on my hair twice and used the remainder to wash my feet, because they are never going anywhere near my nose.

It is amazing the wide spectrum of reactions different people have to the same scent. I have similar feelings about MIF. The scent just knocked me over at first. I tried to give it fair shake and cleansed my hair with it to see what would happen. The results were great. Unfortunately, the cloying scent wouldn't go away--I smelled it on my hair all day long and it didn't grow on me. I had to cleanse my hair again that night. I tried mixing it with 613 and that cut the scent very noticeably. So much so that I didn't smell it on me all day. I also tried using BGT to cut the scent and that worked too. I plan to finish the bottle, but that's it. Fortunately I have other WEN formulas that work as well, or very close to it. But it was sad to me to get such great results from something I couldn't tolerate the scent of. People say it smells so similar to BGT, but not to my nose!

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 Yep! Maple is definitely what I smelled (even Chaz says it's maple-y along with spicy). Sounds like it smells more like gasoline to you? Woman Surprised

FAS was the 1st seasonal I tried...I was soooo excited, thinking it would be more apple/cinnamon. What a disappointment when I smelled nothing but maple!

I'm loving your posts on this....they are giving me a much-needed Monday laugh!

Respected Contributor

OWWW @Laura14 You are gonna have everyone on this board cracking up Smiley LOL

But we did warn ya HAHAHA I agree with CynnaBlue the best way to describe the scent is a Hot Mess Woman LOL

My hair is very short so the scent doesn't linger as much & I will say it's worse on damp, rainy days. It rained here for 3 days too, I used it Thursday evening & could smell it all day Friday in the drizzle.

I think I'll tag this thread & come back to it when I need a good laugh.

You are SOOO FUNNY Cat LOL & I Know there'll be more to come

Honored Contributor

Hot mess is right!  Hot rotten mess is more accurate.  

I'm glad you are all getting a good laugh out of my $56 FAS first time experience.  It puts a smile on my face which FAS fails to do.  

I have now printed out a biohazard symbol and posted it on my desk so I can keep some of the friends I still have at work.  They are confused because I look very nice until they draw too close.  My office door has not been darkened in quite a while and I know I am making the water cooler buzz.  If we worked for Twitter, I'd be trending.