WEN

Super Contributor

Help with the texturizing spray, please

I have long naturally straight hair, so naturally I want some body and/or wave.

I tried this yesterday and although it made my hair feel thicker, it also made it feel a bit stiff and gave me no wave whatsoever.

I tried it on dry hair and scrunched it in, but it just made it look messy, and not in a good way.

I tried it again before bed, and even braided my hair to see if that would give it some wave - as soon as I took the braid out, my hair was straight as ever.  But maybe by that time I had too much product in my hair.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Michele

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help with the texturizing spray, please

Did you try on wet and dry hair? Or just dry?

#IAmTeamWen
Honored Contributor

If your hair is very straight, you won't get a lot of wave out of these sprays, you'll get more of a bend. They work by increasing a bind that sort of shrinks the hair and pulls it in, the way a leaf curls as it dries, but much more subtle, so it helps if your hair already has some bend/wave to it.

The braiding should help, but it's best to do that with damp hair. You may want to consider misting your hair with some water, then some the texture spray before braiding it. If you use water first, you can get your hair damp without too much product and crispiness. That's what I do before adding a curl refresher spray to my hair to avoid any stickiness or stiffness from the product.

Here's a good article about using sea salt sprays I think you might find helpful: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/hair/tips/a36942/how-to-use-salt-spray/

Super Contributor

So far, I have just tried it on dry hair.

Super Contributor

Thanks.  Interesting article.

I will try again on wet hair.

Michele

Trusted Contributor

@Michele5004, I hope it works better for you on wet hair. I know one of Chaz's models demonstrates it on dry hair but she is very liberal with the application. I lost track of how many sprays she used, I think to mostly dampen her hair with product. She then does a braid and says she keeps it in overnight or hits it with a diffuser.

The texturizing spray works well for me but I have naturally curly hair. I hope one of our straight hair Wen girls can give you more tips.

#IAmTeamWen
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have long wavy hair which can be coaxed into curls with the right products and diffuse drying. I love the texturizing spray for fun beachy hair. I spray it all through my wet hair including my roots. I then diffuse dry my hair. This gives me defined waves with lots of body and volume in my hair with no crunch. I would play around with the # of pumps you need based on your hairs length, thickness, density, etc.  Hope you can get it to work for you. I love it for when I don't want to take a lot of time to style my hair but still want to look presentable. 😉

Valued Contributor

I use it on my soaking wet hair. I find (as with most WEN products) I need to use A LOT of it. I can't use it sparingly, if I do, I don't get good results. At first, I tried 5 pumps, it wasn't enough for my fine, just past my shoulders, hair. I use about 15 sprays and get much better results! 

**Suz**
Respected Contributor

That was one Wen product that I really didn't like.  I tried it from Chaz's site and when I found it was not what I was looking for, I asked if I could trade it for Wen Men styling creme.  They said yes and voila!  Michele5004, I met up with an old friend and they were telling me women with curly hair want straight and vice versa.  I have wavy hair and I'd love to have your hair.  Wen and a blow dryer give me my desired results.  The Texture Spray made my hair too poofy.  I tried wet, dry, standing on my head LOL!  If you used the TS and put it up in a bun for a few hours, that may give some bend or wave.

Esteemed Contributor

@Michele5004,  i never thought to "twist in" hair styling products before Chaz.

If i'm going to dry it straight I'll use comb 'n brush to distribute the hair products.

But when I'm going to allow it to wave-curl-spiral  wherever it wants I apply styling products and 'twist' hair as Chaz demonstrates to distribute.

Chaz (and @nikki48) taught me to not even run my fingers through my hair because it destroys the curl AND encourages more frizz formation. Seems odd, but you get used to not combing once you're out from under the shower head.

Suggest you try spraying each section with generous amount of texturing spray and twisting it into hair. If you use styling cream and/or mousse, twist that in first. Pin twists up. Just remove pins and shake hair to un-do the twists without breaking the curls.