Respected Contributor

Re: Trip To Vermont in the Fall

If you are in Montpelier, the capital, you might want to stop in to the culinary school restaurent for lunch. Good food.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your responses!  We are hoping to go at a time where we can see the leaves change, but also would like to visit a smaller town that has little shops, cute places for lunch, historic sites, etc.  

Respected Contributor

@Arianny wrote:

Thank you all for your responses!  We are hoping to go at a time where we can see the leaves change, but also would like to visit a smaller town that has little shops, cute places for lunch, historic sites, etc.  

@Arianny You will not have any trouble finding one of these little towns.  They are around every bend in the road.  Just one example is Wilmington in Southern Vermont.  During the hurricane 6 or 7 years ago Wilmington was just about wiped off the face of the earth.  Flood waters destroyed businesses, homes and old historic buildings.

The people rebuilt the town quickly into its former bustling self.  Lots of shops and eating places.  Vermonters are strong, resiliant people.

Contributor

Shelburne Farm south of Burlington 

Vermont Country Store not too far from farm

in Burlington Church Street Market Place

outlets in Manchester 

Good for rainy day:

Ben and Jerry’s tour

Vermont Teddy Bear Company

ECHO aquarium in Burlington 

Rockwell Museum in Rutland

You’ll have more lodging and restaurant options in South Burlington and you are only a short drive to many attractions.  

You could also visit Conway/North Conway NH.  Near Mt. Washington, outlet malls, Cog Railroad up Mt Washington.  Lots of cute B & Bs /inns are walking distance to village shops and restaurants.  You could do a Vermont/NH combo trip!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

definitely get to the VON TRAPP  FAMILY LODGE.

https://www.trappfamily.com/

@sunshine45 Have you been?  I would LOVE to go there, I was looking at their Oktoberfest day which is in September.  I'm a huge Sound of Music fan so this would be fabulous.  The lodge looks gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

@Pixie66 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45Have you been?  I would LOVE to go there, I was looking at their Oktoberfest day which is in September.  I'm a huge Sound of Music fan so this would be fabulous.  The lodge looks gorgeous!

i have not, but my parents have and some of my canadian relatives have. they go back at least every other year. it is definitely on my list.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Hoping to go back for a visit.  I grew up summers in Vermont with  my grandparents.  When I got married I found a Vermont Like Setting to live in and raise a family... in Maryland. My heart will always be in Vermont.  We visited in St. Albans, nearest big city Burlington. All of it near the Canadian border.  Grandparents had a summer home on Lake Champlain and a regular home in beautiful downtown St. Albans.  I have fond memories of my grandparents little farm like home and my standoff with THE CHICKENS.  My grandmother used to delight in sending  me in the barn for eggs.  Yep, I used to run for my life.  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Last fall we took a road trip starting from Albany. We were flying on Southwest and its a good staging point.

From there took day trips to Saratoga, Manchester. Then drove to Cooperstown and up to Niagara Canada. We did the same thing one year staying in Providence RI and making day trips for 5 days including Newport, Mystic Ct and Boston. No trip was longer than 60-90 minutes(except driving from cooperstown to Niagara)

Being from Texas and having to drive hours to get to the next town, we enjoy the compact geography of the NE.

Regular Contributor

Hi @sunshine45 - Wanted to let you know that my DH surprised me with a stay at the Von Trapp Lodge for my birthday, we are going Columbus Day weekend, so the foliage should be fabulous.  I'm so excited!!!

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Pixie66 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45Have you been?  I would LOVE to go there, I was looking at their Oktoberfest day which is in September.  I'm a huge Sound of Music fan so this would be fabulous.  The lodge looks gorgeous!

i have not, but my parents have and some of my canadian relatives have. they go back at least every other year. it is definitely on my list.