Honored Contributor

We aren't actually traveling together, but a friend of ours is going to the same place at the same time DH and I are next spring.  She suggested staying at a condo or home via airbnb.  We would have private bedrooms, probably two bathrooms, and share the rest of the home.  She's been doing the research and the properties she showed me look pretty nice, less costly than a hotel in the area.  

Does anyone have experience doing something like this?  Was it worth it or were you disappointed?

Honored Contributor

I'm curious too since I have never used Airbnb.  I have used sublet.com with no problems.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Used Airbnb?

[ Edited ]

I have not done it but if we ever do use Airbnb, we will stay at one of the hotels.  They have tons of hotel rooms, we'd do a condo if it was the right type.  But I wouldn't stay in someone's guest room.  Having said that, the younger people in my family do it all the time and they love the experience.  Not one has ever mentioned a bad experience.  It lets them travel to places, they wouldn't be to go to.  My niece was in Montreal in March and she and her friends wiill use Airbnb when they go to Ireland in a few weeks.

Respected Contributor

My friend did this recently in New York City.  She had nothing but good things to say about it.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  We've done it for London and Paris with fantastic results. However........ READ VERY CAREFULLY what the listing says. You want as many pictures as possible of the inside and then piece them together to get an idea of the room size (if they don't show it or state it). We found wonderful places but we also know the "lingo" that is used and what to look for. Sometimes, it's what they don't say that you need to be careful of. The prices for MUCH lower for MUCH NICER places, no doubt.

Just....read, read, read. If you have a question, contact them. If no reply within 24 hours, move on. We would receive replies from overseas within an hour, so no excuse for something in your own country to make you wait a long time for a reply. Do NOT pay all up front, do NOT agree to a deal outside of Airbnb no matter how much better the price may be for the same place. Once you have the address, google the surroundings and make sure it's where they say it is.

Yep, we've almost been scammed as have other family members but we caught it, reported it, learned from it and went on to rent amazing places owned by great people.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

A friend on FB has a sister who is becoming an airbnb.  Beautiful place and many great reviews.  This particular one is rural compared to a hotel.  

Definitely worth checking out.

Honored Contributor

my daughter just got back from spending time in myrtle beach and she, her boyfriend, and another couple rented an air b and b. they were very excited when they found a place just a block from the ocean. she did say the location was very good, but that the place was just "okay" and older than expected. they had to go out and purchase  few inexpensive trays for the oven to cook on (because the items they had were not in good shape and not adequate) and she said that the bathrooms were not that great.

they did get a very good deal though, so i expect you get what you pay for. for 5 nights they paid slightly less than $800 for a two bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Used Airbnb?

[ Edited ]

My DD has twice. Once was great (rented a whole house with her friends in NOLA] but the other location was a dump (over sell and under deliver). 

My super frugal friend does it all the time. She has actually stayed in people’s houses and the owners are there too. And other renters. One asked if she wanted to watch tv with them. Sorry I’ll spring for the extra $50 and stay at a hotel. 

Regular Contributor

My son uses it all the time, and has never had a problem from Japan to Hawaii.

we rented a house in Victoria, BC, for a great deal. 6 bedrooms for our entire family.

my son texted the Airbnb rep and had a good conversation, she lives in the city and is available for any issues. It really is a good way to vacation, you can research the area you want, the rep often leaves good shopping, eating places, entertainment recommendations.  

Trusted Contributor

For one thing I have never stayed at one, so aqs they say take this with a  grain of salt.  I have read numerous negative reviews online about various things.  So please be careful.  Cancellations at very last minute, inaccurate photos.  just to name a couple of things.  All I am saving is please be careful.