Trusted Contributor

Italy in October

[ Edited ]

Hello, fellow Travelers!  DH and I are headed to Italy in October for two weeks - first time for him and fourth (!) time for me.  My step-son and his newly minted wife are coming with us.  They've never been to Italy either.  So I've been elected as sort of the tour guide, even though the last time I travelled to Italy it was 2001. 

Since they've never been, we're hitting the high spots - Rome, Florence, Venice.  I've booked a villa in Tuscany for a week to explore the region (a first for me) with four days on either side for Rome and Venice. I had planned on two, maybe three days going in to Florence.  We will have a car for the week in Tuscany.

I'm continually asking them to research a little to let me know if there are things they particularly want to see, and I'm not getting much in the way of suggestions.  Were it just me, I'd be in every church I could to see the artwork and fabulous architecture, however, the other three will start to get glassy eyed after a more than two churches in one place!

I'd like some suggestions from you on any really neat, perhaps hidden gems you may have found in your Italian travels.  I've gotten some from Pinterest, but first hand from you all (and not from someone's sponsored blog), is so much better.  For instance, are some wineries in Tuscany a better "visit" than others?  Is there more to see in Orvieto or Assisi?  Any particular trattoria that will knock our socks off that many tourists haven't discovered yet?

Anything you can think of will be MOST appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Super Contributor
I went to Florence several years ago and took a pasta making class. After making the pasta, we had it for dinner with others in the class. It was fun and was a nice way to break up all the typical sightseeing activities. No idea on who taught it, but seems like it would be easy to find online.
Trusted Contributor

WOW, so exciting, I'm excited for you.  I have never been to Italy but WorldTraveler will surely have great suggestions. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Super Contributor

Went to Italy many years ago and two unexpected gems were the Island of Capri near Sorrento  and  Pompeii. I went on a short  2 day American Express bus tour out of Rome. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have had good luck with b&b's that offer private tours.  We went to Assisi and Monte Cassino and Perrugia on one tour and to the Popes Summer Palace on another.  Allow three days in Florence (love,love,love!).  Our last trip was in October which is not so crazy with tourists.

Esteemed Contributor
The biggest thing I can think of is to get passes ahead of time before you go - the Vatican Museum, Colosseum, Gallarie del’Accademia, etc.

It pays to look at restaurant reviews or suggestions - it is very easy to get a bad meal in Italy, particularly around the major attractions.Heck, even if you only go by Rick Steve’s suggestions, you’ll do better.

I doubt you would have time to go, but I enjoyed Verona outside of Venice. But, you will have limited time in Venice and, I’m guessing, will use at least one of those days to go to the islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello.

I’ve only heard good things about Cinque Terre, but haven’t been myself. Not sure if that’s a day trip or not when staying in Florence (I only know it’s the same stop for cruise ships.)

With all these suggestions you are going to get, you are probably going to need another week (or two)!

It’s frustrating when nobody gives any indication of what they’d like. I know someone who didn’t research and they said they had a horrible time. I personally didn’t think that was even possible in Italy!!
Honored Contributor

I would arm muyself with Rick Steve Travel Guide - he give self guided walking tours based on 1/2 day or longer. All the high and low points. Sienna is lovely - very quaint ane beautiful. 

Love Italia - you are so lucky

Regular Contributor

@Sammijo10 My hubby and I are planning a trip to Italy in the fall of 2019. We have never been. I'm contemplating going with some type of tour company but my hubby doesn't want to do this. He thinks we can navigate on our own. We aren't much for museums and art but do enjoy the countryside and ocean. We are thinking about the Amalfi Coast area at this time. 

Respected Contributor

While in Tuscany visit Sienna and San Gimigniano. In Florence try to eat at Osteria Vini e Vecchi Sapori. ( need to reserve in advance).

I would  visit Sienna Cathedral, a must.

I agree with using Rick Steves guide book, will make your life easier. I plan everything myself so I know how tough it is, especially if your group is not helping.

Trusted Contributor

@Sammijo10,  October in Italy should be wonderful. Actually, anytime in Italy is wonderful. I think I have seen every church in Italy. I was first there when I was 15 so much could ha e changed since then. When I was there with my family we had a car a drove up and down the entire country. Both Orvieto and Assisi stand out as being really nice. Look into it and you may find interesting things to do. I enjoyed just walking around town in Orvieto and peeking into the lovely courtyards of the homes. I enjoy the Orvieto wine and I’ll bet you could find a cooking class to take using the wines. 

We also visited the small country of San Marino and enjoyed that, too. 

I would also suggest the Villa Borghese and its  gardens, much if not all of which is free. To really see it all, you can rent a bicycle. I was in Rome in December and had wanted to do this but my mom could just not walk any further. Next tome. 

If you enjoy food and cooking, I would suggest going to Eataly in Bologna. This is more like a foodie’s theme park than their stores in the USA.  Free admission but of course you will buy things. 

Your trip sounds fantastic and will be great no matter what you choose. Since you will have a car, exploring the small towns and villages can be a lot of fun. Also, it would be good if you have a phone you can use. You can get an Italian SIM card if your phone is unlocked.

Have a terrific time!