Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@loisp wrote:

My husband and I retired and wanted to move out of NJ.  We tried southern Delaware for a year and didn't like it at all.  Our next move was to Knoxville.  We have been here about 6 months and couldn't be happier.  We are taking advantage of museums, culture, including theatre and opera, street fairs and markets.  There seems to be something going on almost every week.  You can choose to be as city oriented or as country oriented as you please. Also it is just a 2 - 3 hours from other major Tennessee cities and states.  So happy we made this move.

@loisp  My husband and I are considering Knoxville.  We live in the northern burbs of Chicago and want to get away from this crooked state, the taxes and winters.  I like cool temps and my husband likes warmer weather, so we think this will be a good compromise.  We've heard so many wonderful things, but really need to plan several visits.  How did you find your home?   Did you use an agent,  go online or do you have friends in the area?  I'm just starting and am not sure where to even begin looking.  Thanks so much.  I'm glad you're enjoying your relocation.

Hello nyc1, My sister-in-law has lived in Knoxville for over 20 years which is why we considered a move to this area.  We wanted four seasons but not a lot of snow and ice, access to doctors and medical facilities, and the cultural benefits of a university town.  Right now the weather is warmer than it is in NJ but so much better than it was in NJ this past winter.  We made multiple trips to Knoxville to get a feel for the area and then started looking at real estate on line.  My sister-in-law knew a real estate agent she trusted and had used in the past and introduced us.  She worked with us on multiple occasions and we found a house we liked sooner than expected.  I would be happy to assist you further if you have any other questions.  My husband and I also wanted to escape NJ to get away from that crooked state, taxes and winters. LOL

Contributor

I'm originally from WI & found Tellico Village from an old show on HGTV. We went down in April '07 & by that June, after 2 visits, we decided TV was it. It's in Eastern TN southwest of Knoxville. LOW property taxes & homes in all price points. Tellico Village is on Tellico Lake, created by damming the Little TN River. Please check it out on the internet. I'm sure you will love it. We moved 2 yr ago to NJ to be closer to two of our four grandchildren. I miss it. Scenery is outstanding. Residents are welcoming. 4 seasons & winter doesn't last 6 months. 

Frequent Contributor