Trusted Contributor

Got the OK from our budget so we are planning a trip to Maine this fall ( live in west central Michigan). DH is techie and has the whole trip planned out, about 14 days. Since we have photographed most of Michigan’s lighthouses, we are planning on doing the same out there. Most of our journeys are instate, so I’m really looking forward to this adventure.

Valued Contributor

Re: Going to Maine this fall

go to bar harbor it is the best eat lobster. on your way back to to vermont ben and jerrys ice cream and woodstock. 

Trusted Contributor

It's so beautiful!  I hope you have a wonderful time.  Nubble light, Goat's head, Cape Elizabeth...So many in southern Maine.  The Bar Harbor area, the fiords in SW harbor, seal harbor.  All are just spectacular.  Fall is the best time of year.  Foliage is beautiful, traffic has subsided from the summer months.  

i hope you have a wonderful time!

Esteemed Contributor

Maine is one of my favorite places.  I agree about Bar Harbor.  If you get there, my suggestion is to eat at the West Side Cafe.  They probably still have their lunch special which is a cup of clam chowder, lobster roll, and a slice of blueberry pie.  One of my favorite lunches ever.  Also, Acadia National Park, a trip to Kennebunkport, and just enjoy the beautiful scenery that is Maine.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Bar Harbor is nice. If you want to go inland more, Moosehead Lake/Greenville will not disappoint.

Esteemed Contributor

Bar Harbour, Portland, Kennebunkport and so many places along the coast have lovely old lighthouses which have been restored! What a fun trip. Our family owns a summer home in Long Island (off Portland). Have to take the ferry to access the island. One of my family's favorite places to visit! So much history.

My grandfather's brother built the home for his wife before WWI.  When both brothers enlisted, she and my grandmother moved into that two-story stone home throughout the war while their husbands were away. The home has been in the family and passed down throughout the generations. Mom was the owner until she passed away in July. Her Trust is still being settled, but we know how everything will turn out when the Bank is finished. It just takes time.

Have a fabulous time!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I have many memories of family vacations in Maine while growing up.  It will be a great trip.

Respected Contributor

Wishing you a wonderful trip.  So many beautiful lighthouses and so much beautiful scenery.  If you make it to Rockland (mid coast), be sure to have lunch at the Rockland Cafe.  They have delicious haddock and lobster rolls.

My only advice is take some warm clothing, it will be cool in the Fall.  Enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

@joannecha, I live in Nova Scotia.  We usually travel to Maine every Spring and Fall.  It is the US state closest to us.  I suggest you dress in layers for your trip.  Like us, the weather in Maine is getting warmer in the shoulder seasons.  Enjoy your trip!  LM

Super Contributor

I live in New England (MA) and agree that Maine is spectacular, especially in the fall.  I would definitely put Nubble Light House on your list as well as Kennebunkport, Ogunquit and Camden.  Ogunquit has a really great beach (although Maine has a long coastline much of it is very rocky and so not as “beachy” as one might think).  What I really love about Ogunquit is the Marginal Way, which is a walking path along the rocky coast.  The views are spectacular.  Camden is another coastal town.  It is not very big but has a great main street with several shops and restaurants.  Boothbay Harbor is another lovely area.

I am probably in the minority, but I have to say that I’m a bit underwhelmed with Bar Harbor.  The setting is very pretty with another coastal walkway, but the town itself is very touristy with many shops selling the same mass produced trinkets.  Bar Harbor is definitely worth seeing, but I would spend my time in lesser known towns.  Acadia National Park which abuts Bar Harbor is definitely worth your time.  

If you have the chance, I would also recommend Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  It is just 20 minutes from Nubble Light House and would be well worth half a day.  Portsmouth has great restaurants, many of them on the waterfront.  It’s also just a great town for strolling.  Quintessential New England in my opinion.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!