Honored Contributor

Re: Return to flying was great😊😊

@haddon9   We have found the TSA pre-check well worth the $85 for 5 years.  We do fly several times a year so for us, it's a bargain not to have to take off shoes, take out toiletries, etc. etc. and have a dedidcated security line.  

I guess it depends which airline is flown because United and American kept social distance and there was no crowding or other problems.   The planes however were completely full.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Esteemed Contributor

Good to  hear you had a nice experience.  I have flown a lot over the years and have really come to hate it.  I find the flight attendants are miserable (that was pre pandemic) they seem to have a "control" issue.   Also the craziness of charging for every little thing on top of the prices you're paying for the ticket in the first place.......also how they cram you in and don't want you to get up at all to stretch your legs and you can't be in the aisle and on and on.   We are not flying this year, but will resume hopefully in 2022.  We have always been avid travelers but I can see it will be lessening as the years keep going.

I just hope everything gets somewhat back to normalcy, whatever that will be.

I too am always the one who gets pulled out of the line.  One time is was my steel toe clogs and another time I had gas residue on my hands from filling up a rental car before returning it at the airport.  You learn how to avoid these things after awhile.

Happy traveling everyone, LOL!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   I had to chuckle at your comments.  I've seen more "attitude" at the Philly Airport than all the rest of the airports I've visited put together.  It makes passing through there very unpleasant. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I'm glad that you had a good experience. 

We flew back from Charlotte last month on American Airlines. (We usually choose AA when we can).  The plane arrived in Charlotte a little later than scheduled.  NO TIME was taken to clean the plane...we boarded the minute the plane was emptied.  The first class cabin was FILTHY!  We used Clorox wipes from my carry on to clean the area around us.  It was such a miserable experience that I doubt if we will fly with American Airlines again if we can help it.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

Many good thoughts and prayers for your mom🙏🏻

As for me, I try to avoid Philadelphia airport for many reasons from terrible personnel to the 95 corridor always full of construction & accidents.  Have to leave 3 hours before cuz one never knows what traffic delay you hit.

I fly into newark when i can to use the train to my destination.  This time I flew into a regional small airport.

I leave from Tampa a wonderful airport🙂

Its easier and next trip in a few weeks I'll do the same🙂

Honored Contributor

That's nice but I have not heard a single "nightmare" story about flying since before Covid struck.  With fewer people flying, other than a few stories about jerks who refused to wear a mask, there wasn't much.  I don't care for the whole flying experience but it is the only way to get to the places I want to go to.  Just waiting for hubby to decide when he wants to go and to get it approved before we book something.  

Respected Contributor

Excuse me for being frank, but flying pre-pandemic was a ****** shoot. Now that they are once again filling planes to capacity, it will more than likely be a ****** shoot squared. (I am a retired math teacherSmiley Wink)

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 

I'm thinking about you and your dear mother.  Sending good thought to both of you.

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Excuse me for being frank, but flying pre-pandemic was a ****** shoot. Now that they are once again filling planes to capacity, it will more than likely be a ****** shoot squared. (I am a retired math teacherSmiley Wink)

No, it really wasn't, unless you don't really understand how it works and/or have unrealistic expectations. Even with the pandemic I still managed a little over 80.000 back-side-in-seat miles last year and had only one minor delay. It's no where near what I used to fly when I was working, but it's still a decent amount. 

In my experience, the most troublsome passengers are the ones who buy the cheapest seat available without paying any attention to the contract of carriage and then get mad when they can't get an advanced seat assignment, aren't seated with people they're traveling with, can't bring on carry-on bags, think that having a "gold" credit card makes them a "gold medallion", etc. 

I enjoy flying. It's a heck of a lot more convenient to spend 90 minutes on an airplane than 3 days on the road. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@lulu1  Thank you