Trusted Contributor
Thank you all. I live in Missouri. It seems very confusing regarding what I need depending on whether bi get a passport or Real ID. I guess that will be what I start working on next week. I want to get it done. Especially if I have to request copies of marriage certificates.
Frequent Contributor

I was due for renewal on my CA driver's license.  I decided to get a real ID even though I had a current passport.  What a hassle.  CA requires a current street address on a bill.  Forty years ago husband set up all utility bills in his name.  My bills came to our PO Box.  Finally, found something the state would except.  You would have thought to have a current passport would be sufficient.  I had to keep extending my temporary license.  Should have just stuck with my passport, but who knew.  I sure didn't.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real ID or passport ?

[ Edited ]

Check to see if your State DMV is requiring the Real ID. In Maryland the Real ID was  mandatory  to renew license.   I'd   definitely apply for a Passport . Basically, you just have to fill out the paper work.  As far a divorce decrees , I heard that you don't need to show  Divorce decrees  Unless  the surname you are  currently using does not match your Drivers License or another form of ID you are going to use  as proof of who you are .

The DMV  told me  that the Real ID  mandate  was from the 911 Commission . It has taken this many years to implement . That really surprised me.

From Homeland Security :

" The REAL ID Act, passed by Congress in 2005, enacted the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.”

Honored Contributor

If you plan on traveling out of the country in the next ten years, I'd get the passport. Even with a real ID, the passport will be necessary.  You need less documents to get one.

If you will not be traveling out of the country.... ever, get the real ID.

I will use my passport as I already have one. I have lost my SS and would have to get another one before I could apply for a Real ID, too much bother for me.

Respected Contributor

I have both - a Real ID compliant driver's license and a passport (as well as a passport card). I used my passport card as my ID to get the Real ID compliant driver's license. That was all I needed, but it was a chore getting the folks at the Secretary of State's office (Michigan) to accept that a passport card IS a US government issued ID. They must've had a dozen people involved in the circus. 

I use my passport card as my ID when I travel within the US. It doesn't have an address on it, and the people checking my ID don't need to know where I live when I'm not home. Unfortunately, I've had more than a few "educational" conversations with TSA agents who were clueless as to what a passport card is. Mind boggling. 

I only use my driver's license as just that, but since there was no additional charge to get the compliant one when I renewed it, I went ahead and did it. 

If you're not planning to leave the country, I see no practical reason to bother getting a passport or passport card, but it's up to you. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I accidentally let my Passport expire so I had to go through the whole process of getting a new one which did require that I have birth certificate (discovered I had a "short form" certificate which they wouldn't accept)  and I think I had to have my divorce papers, but not my marriage certificates.  Good thing since I have lost my marriage certificate.  However, it was still an easier process than the Real ID.

In my state, marriage certificates were not required.  It really wasn't about the forms of ID needed although I did need more proof than for my Passport.  The only place to get the Real ID was the ONE facility for the entire County that also does driving tests.  That means getting in line early in the morning, getting a number, and waiting.  Once I finally got to talk to someone, it turned out I didn't have my Social Security card with me.  Since my DL needed to be renewed I just said the H with it and went to the facility that is only 5 minutes from my house and just got it renewed there. Figured I could just use my Passport until the rush to get the Real ID was over.   They have moved the date for that at least twice since then.  

I did see a few weeks ago someone mention on my Nextdoor group that the facility near me now does the Real ID, so I need to pull all my documents together again and see about trying again.

No problem using my Passport for domestic travel.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real ID or passport ?

[ Edited ]

DH & I both got our Real ID licenses & we have passports. 
For the real ID I needed my current license,SS card, Birth certificate & marriage license.I also brought an electric bill & current passport but wasn't asked for it. I made an appointment.We were in & out in about 20 minutes.

Super Contributor

I got my Real ID first, and plan to get a passport when life settles down.  The first time I went for my real ID, my marriage license was unacceptable! I have had it for 40 years, used it to change my name on my social security card, driver's license, and other documentations. I had to write to the county from which I got my license to get a new copy. 

The funny thing is the courthouse had put the town I was married in, in the wrong county. When I talked to someone at the courthouse, I was told the only way to correct their mistake was to petition the Court to correct their mistake at my expense of time and money. I was advised to let it go, and the DMV accepted it! 

So much for being accurate. I was told once you have Real ID, you don't have to go through it again. You can renew it just like your previous license.  Should you have to move, the process is already done.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I just renewed my license in August and this is what my state required:

birth certificate

marriage license

utility bill

bank statement or credit card bill

social security card

eye doctor form proving I had my eyes checked

Got it at the DMV - they did not mail it.

Respected Contributor

I would concentrate on getting a Real ID first.  Bring all documents to the DMV.  Be prepared.  Having a passport on hand is always a good idea, IMO, so I'd work on that after.  From what I've been hearing in my area, passport appointment are difficult to come by and takes a lot longer.