Trusted Contributor

Real ID or passport ?

[ Edited ]

I have to either get a Real ID or a passport by Oct to travel. I can't decide which is easier to get. I've been researching both on google. I have been married a couple times and am trying to find out if I need marriage certificates and divorce decrees for my name being different then my birth ceritificate. Anyone get the Real ID? I was just started getting my SS. I wouldn't think I would need more documents than I sent SS to get a ID or passport.   

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I have to either get a Real ID or a passport by Oct to travel. I can't decide which is easier to get. I've been researching both on google. I have been married a couple times and am trying to find out if I need marriage certificates and divorce decrees for my name being different then my birth ceritificate. Anyone get the Real ID? I was just started getting my SS. I wouldn't think I would need more documents than I sent SS to get a ID or passport.   

unless you are traveling out of the country you would not need a passport,

and with a passport and old licesnse that 2 documents to worry about,  I would do the Real ID 

Respected Contributor

Re: Real ID or passport ?

[ Edited ]

I feel the opposite.  My husband and I already have passports and we'll continue with the passports.  They're nice to have in case you want to go on a cruise or even travel out of the country.  

If I didn't have trouble getting a passport you won't lol.  I've been married twice.  Plus I went by two first names my whole life including all through school - the given name on my birth certificate and my nickname.  My nickname is on my driver's license and social security card.   Luckily I had tons of documentation to prove who I was.  

By the way - if you have a passport you don't need a real ID.  When I renewed by driver's license last year an employee there told me even she wasn't getting a real ID since she had a passport.

Respected Contributor

Depends on your state.  The requirements vary WIDELY (although they should not).  In my state I can not get a Real ID because I did not have the 8 forms of ID that meet the standards even though I have a passport.

So even though I have a passport I can not get a Real ID.  

Please not they are not the same depending on where you are traveling.  I have never needed a Real ID and when I needed a passport a Real ID would not have been accepted.

Honored Contributor

I just got the Real ID. This is what was required in the State of PA,

• Proof of identity:  Original or certified copy of a birth certificate filed with the state office of vital records with a raised/embossed seal — issued by an authorized government agency — or valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or passport card.
  • Proof of Social Security number: Social Security card.
  • Two proofs of current, physical PA address (if applicable): Examples include current, unexpired PA license or ID, PA vehicle registration, auto insurance card or utility bill with the same name and address.
  • Proof of all legal name changes: Certified marriage certificate, court order, or divorce decree issued by your county’s family court.

It was easy to get. There are two different set ups in PA. You can go to one place and they give you your Real ID right then or go to your local DMV and get it mailed to you a week later. 

What is the name on your Social Security card? Not sure if other states have different requirements.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I feel the opposite.  My husband and I already have passports and we'll continue with the passports.  They're nice to have in case you want to go on a cruise or even travel out of the country.  

If I didn't have trouble getting a passport you won't lol.  I've been married twice.  Plus I went by two first names my whole life including all through school - the given name on my birth certificate and my nickname.  My nickname is on my driver's license and social security card.   Luckily I had tons of documentation to prove who I was.  

By the way - if you have a passport you don't need a real ID.  When I renewed by driver's license last year an employee there told me even she wasn't getting a real ID since she had a passport.

I agree.  Since I needed to get a new DL this year I checked to see when my passport would expire.  I have another six years to go on it and will use that when necessary. 

As for my license, all I had to do in PA was go online and fill out some forms, pay and within two weeks they sent a new photo license ....they used my previous photo.

Trusted Contributor

It depends what State you live in. It's still not easy to get in person apps in California. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Depends on your state.  The requirements vary WIDELY (although they should not).  In my state I can not get a Real ID because I did not have the 8 forms of ID that meet the standards even though I have a passport.

So even though I have a passport I can not get a Real ID.  

Please not they are not the same depending on where you are traveling.  I have never needed a Real ID and when I needed a passport a Real ID would not have been accepted.

isn't that crazy, you can get a passport, but not Real ID

Esteemed Contributor

Without considering documents, a passport is more versatile and can take you more places.

If you even think of more extensive travel, passport wins.

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva  You will need marriage certificates in getting a real ID.  Honestly, I would get a passport and then you can always get a real ID later.

The DMV wanted a lot of items, including your birth certificate, SS card, utility bill, marriage certificates, etc.  You can get a SS card for free mailed to you by going on the SS site, and if you do, don't remove the card from the mailing insert, since they can use that as proof of address as well as the card.

It takes weeks to get your passport, so if you are interested in getting a passport, don't wait too long.  If I recall, you can take your passport to the DMV to use it in getting your real ID, but my license expired while I was trying to get the passport mailed to me, so I had to do both a few years ago.  It was nothing but a hassle to get a marriage certificate mailed to me from out of state for a marriage that had ended 20+ years ago.

......You look like I need a drink.....